post-it notes and tipp-ex

Anything yellow and blue
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

post-it notes and tipp-ex

Post by recordmeister »

Anyone notice the job done by the Conf people for the fixtures on Boxing day and NY day?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... efault.stm

Probably the easiest half day in the office they've ever done, working those out.

What a bunch of twats.
BigCrompy
Puberty

Post by BigCrompy »

Didn't that always used to be the norm not exception throughout the whole Football League up until about the 60s when they even used to play on Chrimbo Day and reverse the fixtures the very day after?
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

The principle of trying to keep the fixtures as local as possible seems to me to be really good too. The downside of just reversing is that all the grudges from the first match get carried over into the second. If there's a spread bet on total red cards in the BSP, might be a good day to go long.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

A darn sight better than the football league giving us an away trip to Torquay on New Year's Eve, which the clubs then rearrange rather late on to a 1pm kick-off, when some fans (probably only me) had already booked train tickets with a 3pm kick-off in mind. The excuse being that fans would want more time to get home for NYE (my guess being the players and staff wanted to go out on the lash).

Not withstanding giving us away fixtures first day, last day, Boxing Day, a New Year's Day holiday home fixture against Crawley (hardly likely to travel in numbers compared to several clubs who would for a holiday tie), and AFC Wimbledon at home in midweek (they would bring well over 1,000 for a Saturday).

Wasn't much better last season either.
captainox
Toddler

Post by captainox »

conference seems to have always worked like this.
Right about grudge matches though - remember the lad who broke Sam Deering's leg away at Salisbury - he got absolutely murdered by the fans at the home game a few days later.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re: post-it notes and tipp-ex

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:Anyone notice the job done by the Conf people for the fixtures on Boxing day and NY day?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... efault.stm

Probably the easiest half day in the office they've ever done, working those out.

What a bunch of twats.
Local games, one home and one away, for every club in the division on the two busiest football days of the year. What's not to like?

It's a hell of a lot better than our festive fixtures this season. A large proportion of our fanbase won't be attending either of our next two matches for reasons of distance and ticket availability.

Well done the Conference in this instance.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

I always thought that, with the exception of cup draws, you did not want teams playing the reverse fixtures so soon after the first due to the 'battles' which may have built up on pitch and carried over between games.

If I was a manager, I'd rather have some distance between games.