Cricket

Anything yellow and blue
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Cricket

Post by A-Ro »

I was at the Oval today and there was a scummer sitting behnd me, why does that always happen? even my mrs. wanted to punch him and she doesn't even like football.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re: Cricket

Post by Snake »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:I was at the Oval today and there was a scummer sitting behnd me, why does that always happen? even my mrs. wanted to punch him and she doesn't even like football.
Will you be going tomorrow?

Fascinating stuff is this particular Test Match..
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Sideshow Rob »

It should be an interesting day tomorrow.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Well I'm glad that didn't happen on Saturday, I deeply suspect that Darrell Hair has umpired his last international match.

It does make you think about the very existence of the ball tampering rule, it was obviously put in in haste with no thought about the inevitable ramifiactions of invoking the law.

Pakistan have now got to face charges of ball tampering and for refusing to play, this will almost certainly result in a hefty fine and other penalties as well and the reality is that they are probably innocent. This will bring turmoil to international cricket for ages.
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Sideshow Rob »

Oopse - should have read Snakes' post. So, do you think England could have pulled off a draw today, given that the forcast is for more rain?
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Cricket is a fine and intersting sport and all that - but this is a football forum - An Oxford United forum. As I said on the boot thread I've only just got back from Burton (well I carried on up North after the match) and I'm surprised to see there's no comment on the game whatsoever - what's going on? Or have I just not looked in the right place?

Anyway, I'll say we were lucky but what a great night.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Oi! This is our cricket thread. Now go and post on another one Mr. B.
SteMerritt
Puberty

Post by SteMerritt »

Apparently if we retain The Ashes with a clear 3 test margin this winter we will topple the Aussies as the number 1 test side. Makes you wonder why our one-day lads get tonked every game....
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

Our one day lads get tonked every time because we pick 'good one day players' and not International cricketers.

Playing the likes of Kabir Ali and Ian Blackwell is rediculous.

Name a squad of 18 players for the year and use the same squad for both forms of cricket.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:Our one day lads get tonked every time because we pick 'good one day players' and not International cricketers.

Playing the likes of Kabir Ali and Ian Blackwell is rediculous.

Name a squad of 18 players for the year and use the same squad for both forms of cricket.
Wise words DLT, wise words.
SteMerritt
Puberty

Post by SteMerritt »

I see Gough has been trundled out again for the one-day squad :cry:
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotSteMerritt&quot wrote:I see Gough has been trundled out again for the one-day squad :cry:
Agree with DLT, although Gough is one player I would actually make an exception for. The only reason he isn't in the test squad is because his knees won't hold up for 5 days continuous play. As a 1 day bowler, he is so accurate, swings it both ways and mixes up the deliveries so well he shouldn't be left out at least until someone better is found.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotSteMerritt&quot wrote:I see Gough has been trundled out again for the one-day squad :cry:
Agree with DLT, although Gough is one player I would actually make an exception for. The only reason he isn't in the test squad is because his knees won't hold up for 5 days continuous play. As a 1 day bowler, he is so accurate, swings it both ways and mixes up the deliveries so well he shouldn't be left out at least until someone better is found.
I suspected as much from his appearance on Celebrity Come Dancing. Don't see what that's got to do with his cricket though.
SteMerritt
Puberty

Re:

Post by SteMerritt »

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:I suspected as much from his appearance on Celebrity Come Dancing. Don't see what that's got to do with his cricket though.
Didn't he turn down the chance to tour last winter because of his involvement in that tripe? If so, a strong reason not to pick him again.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

As an alleged pseudo Yorkshireman (well, eligible to play for them, were I not cr#p), I lost faith in Dazz when he became a traitor ... but on a more rational note, I think it's important to stress his loss of pace and the difference between standards in international and county cricket. Bowling yorkers and low full tosses at 79 mph is highly effective at 9pm in Colchester against Nowhereshire, but not necessarily so effective against an international batting line up. Hope he proves me wrong (says he through gritted teeth, counting his pennies and turning off lights).