Late Tackle - a new magazine

Anything yellow and blue
slappy
Grumpy old git

Late Tackle - a new magazine

Post by slappy »

I picked up the first issue of this new magazine (Sep/Oct '11), (next issue due 26 October). It is from the same editor, Gareth Roberts, as Well Red - an independent Liverpool magazine 'by the fans, for the fans'.
&quotThe football magazine made by fans&quot is the cover line, and continues with
&quotIf you're passionate and knowledgeable about a subject, write about it. And if we like it we'll use it. The mag features journalists, bloggers, website owners and just plain old fans&quot. They say it is not Premier League driven, and they don't believe that football started in 1992.

In has a Private Eye feel to it, printed on slightly thicker newspaper rather than a glossy magazine, but is full colour throughout, and for a first edition is completely devoid of adverts, apart from one for Well Red. There are 23 separate articles in the 64 page edition, and it reads like an expanded fanzine / matchday programme. A mixed bag of articles on all aspects of football life: A Robin Friday article (by the co-author of the recent book) an interview with Mick Quinn pieces about Everton, Colchester and Wigan Athletic a very teary eyed and nostalgic &quotmy dear old man used to take me to Milwall&quot and more with features on international teams, and classic games.

It seems to be a little brother to &quotWhen Saturday Comes&quot, without the formal layout and house style of articles that WSC uses. This does allow the contributors to be a bit more aggressive in their thoughts, but it does seem a bit of a mish-mash of articles on anything football related by anyone who will send one in.
Brahma Bull
Puberty

Post by Brahma Bull »

Sackloth Ox showed me a copy of the latest edition of WSC (When Saturday Comes) and it has a decent article on the Oxford 12th Man Initiative. It then focuses on the 12th Stag, Mansfield Town's version which they copied from us.

Anyone seen the new CEO of Mansfield, a 29 year old ladyeee. She is far more attractive than Kelvin Thomas. 8)
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

It's all about Four Four Two when it comes football magazines!
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Radley Rambler »

&quotBrahma Bull&quot wrote:Sackloth Ox showed me a copy of the latest edition of WSC (When Saturday Comes) and it has a decent article on the Oxford 12th Man Initiative. It then focuses on the 12th Stag, Mansfield Town's version which they copied from us.

Anyone seen the new CEO of Mansfield, a 29 year old ladyeee. She is far more attractive than Kelvin Thomas. 8)
Yes, yes I have - very fine.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotRadley Rambler&quot wrote:
&quotBrahma Bull&quot wrote:Sackloth Ox showed me a copy of the latest edition of WSC (When Saturday Comes) and it has a decent article on the Oxford 12th Man Initiative. It then focuses on the 12th Stag, Mansfield Town's version which they copied from us.

Yes, yes I have - very fine.
Fine? Fit more like.

Reminds me of Sarah Palin.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

SteMerritt
Puberty

Post by SteMerritt »

29? No way, 45 I would believe, but 29?
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Post by Dartford Ox »

Looks like a 'trannie' to me. I'd steer well clear of that.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... ds-newsxml

Gotta love the Daily Mail. Really takes an interest in non-league football.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Hog »

&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... ds-newsxml

Actually Dan it's almost a cut and paste from the Non League section on BBC Sport (Mansfield). I wonder who wrote it first?
headless_pnub
Brat

Re:

Post by headless_pnub »

&quotHog&quot wrote:
&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... ds-newsxml

Actually Dan it's almost a cut and paste from the Non League section on BBC Sport (Mansfield). I wonder who wrote it first?
Wouldn't be the first time the Daily Mail &quotborrowed&quot someone else's article:

&quotDaily Mail lifts from Washington Post, then asks its reporter for help finding photo&quot t.co/S506s5vp
scooter
Dashing young thing

Post by scooter »

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... scort.html

Seems she has had a wide ranging career so far.