Oh bugger My pre-season optimism has been popped.

Anything yellow and blue
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Oh bugger My pre-season optimism has been popped.

Post by Swissbloke »

If anyone that was there could provide positives it would be most welcome. thanks!
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re: Oh bugger My pre-season optimism has been popped.

Post by Baboo »

&quotSwissbloke&quot wrote:If anyone that was there could provide positives it would be most welcome. thanks!
The defence.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

We just didn't look sharp, I think down to a lack of a proper pre season. We'll also be better when McClaren comes back in, we missed him.
Steppers
Brat

Post by Steppers »

Took less than 2 hours to get home!!!!

We seemed to be more 4-5-1 formation it seemed the games plan was to hold out and get them tired then put the pacey wingers on to snatch it.

Both teams were poor nil nil would have been about right.
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

Whing looked very solid. Batt was poor in the first half. Davis was sharp in the first half. I was disappointed how quickly we faded once they'd scored. We didn't stop trying but there wasn't much good football and we didn't look like scoring.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

[quote=&quotSteppers&quot}

We seemed to be more 4-5-1 formation it seemed the games plan was to hold out and get them tired then put the pacey wingers on to snatch it.

[/quote]

Which would have been a tactical masterstroke if it had come off. As things turned out it all looked rather pathetic.
We didn't trouble their defence which looked solid to me. No service but it was one of those games when those that question how good Beano really is at this level had some evidence to work with. Not saying I agree with that school of thought that occassionally pops up.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

No problem Baboo.

If you are going to play a rigid 4-5-1 formation it is imperative that your lone centre forward is adept at holding the ball up, can bring others into the game and is mobile. If he is half decent in the air, then great.

Beano is a sniffer and poacher and plays on the shoulder of the last defender but when he has to come short and be aware of what is around him, his shortcomings are there for all to see.

He works extremely hard and will probably get around 20 goals but it is very difficult playing as a lone striker in our set up.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by joepoolman »

&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:No problem Baboo.

If you are going to play a rigid 4-5-1 formation it is imperative that your lone centre forward is adept at holding the ball up, can bring others into the game and is mobile. If he is half decent in the air, then great.

Beano is a sniffer and poacher and plays on the shoulder of the last defender but when he has to come short and be aware of what is around him, his shortcomings are there for all to see.

He works extremely hard and will probably get around 20 goals but it is very difficult playing as a lone striker in our set up.
Totally agree, he's just not the right player for the system. Beano didn't look sharp anyway, not as punishing on defenders as he normally is, mind you he tends to start a bit slowly. My main concern is the lack of a replacement for McLean, Smalley seems (good but) similar to Constable, Pittman just looks like a winger, I think we need a striker who links with midfield, passes well and just has that touch of class that makes a Beano or a Smalley want to play with him, aka a replacement for McLean...
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:No problem Baboo.

100% agree.