Best Oxford goal for years?

Anything yellow and blue
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Best Oxford goal for years?

Post by Baboo »

We looked pretty solid today but didn’t create much and with this starting line up don’t look like scoring many goals. But what a goal - I can’t remember any better from an Oxford player at Minchery. (Superb penalty Mr Duffy – no, only joking). The Burgess strike alone was almost worth the admission money. I can’t help thinking though if he had been in a Halifax shirt we would not have won. Injury / suspension / or loss of form befalling the magic one and we could be in trouble.
Halifax probably had the ball more than us and passed it pretty well but for all that their final pass was lacking and Turley was never really troubled. He probably would have been though if the referee had not interpreted “ball to hand
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

And also let's not forget that Halifax are one of the more fancied sides in this division, more so than us I understand.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:And also let's not forget that Halifax are one of the more fancied sides in this division, more so than us I understand.
yes they are up there but certainly not more so than us. We are favourites to win the Conference with every bookmaker I can find and Halifax are quoted between 10-1 and 16-1.

Take a look here for a comprehensive summary:

http://odds.bestbetting.com/football/en ... nce/winner

Duffer still hasn't won me over and we are still a striker short but there were some encouraging signs yesterday. Burgess has continued is pre-season form and looks a class act at this level (even without the wonder goal) and Anaclet looks good going forward. My only major disappointment was my wildly optimistic crowd prediction which left the door open for Zeke to take possession of Das Boot.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

We must have nipped back above Stevenage as the bookies favourites after yesterday.

My disappointment was my wildly pessimistic prediction in the boot.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

a good win, but had halifax had better finishers, i wonder if we would've been able to step up again.

my disappointment was in trying to find our score in my sunday paper, and to see how our attendance fared against other conference sides.

eventually on the opposite page to all the league, scottish league, bmx cyclocross results, in a dense paragraph:

oxford 2 halifax 0

oh well, only the moonrakers had a higher attendance than us in the division above. i wonder who the other conference teams have on tuesday?

no fixtures.

welcome to the conference.
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotMatt D&quot wrote:a good win, but had halifax had better finishers, i wonder if we would've been able to step up again.

my disappointment was in trying to find our score in my sunday paper, and to see how our attendance fared against other conference sides.

eventually on the opposite page to all the league, scottish league, bmx cyclocross results, in a dense paragraph:

oxford 2 halifax 0

oh well, only the moonrakers had a higher attendance than us in the division above. i wonder who the other conference teams have on tuesday?

no fixtures.

welcome to the conference.
ah but if halifax had better finishers they wouldn't be in the conference. plus exactly what clearcut chances did they have anyway?

i think we could see from saturday that this season is going to be no free flowing footy carnival but a grind. halifax did not ever look like scoring.

we must get that extra striker. up front is our problem. don't believe ANY of our strikers are really good enough. Yemi shows promise but is stamina a problem?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote:we must get that extra striker. up front is our problem. don't believe ANY of our strikers are really good enough. Yemi shows promise but is stamina a problem?
I thought Yemi looked bigger and stronger than last year. Whether he can last 90 minutes is another story though.

Duffy's stamina was a problem yesterday, although he probably wasn't helped by injuring himself falling off the pitch in the opening 20 seconds...

Any truth in the Les Ferdinand rumours?
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

i think we could see from saturday that this season is going to be no free flowing footy carnival but a grind. halifax did not ever look like scoring.

we must get that extra striker. up front is our problem. don't believe ANY of our strikers are really good enough. Yemi shows promise but is stamina a problem?[/quote]

We played more free flowing football against Pompey &amp Man U than Halifax. There are probably a number of reasons for this.
This was a competitive game with the expectation levels very high and consequently a great deal more pressure on the players. (Will they be able to handle it throughout the season? Burgess looks like he will.)
We were given much less time as Halifax were hustling us throughout. (Will all Conference teams do this? I suspect yes.)
The conditions. The wind did not help even though it makes sense to keep the ball on the deck when it is like that. (Solution – Nick Merry buys the ground, builds the fourth stand and fills the corners in. Sorted)

And I agree that Yemi looked bigger and stronger. But is he now big enough and strong enough.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote:we must get that extra striker. up front is our problem. don't believe ANY of our strikers are really good enough.
According to The Game in The Times today we will have a new striker by Saturday.

Doesn't the transfer window apply to the Conference or are we still in the first window?

Anyway The Times is a sister paper of The Sun so it must be true.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Matt D »

&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote: ah but if halifax had better finishers they wouldn't be in the conference. plus exactly what clearcut chances did they have anyway?

well, i read that this team was essentially halifax's team from last season, so presumably they scored goals on the way to the play-off final. maybe not clear-cut chances, but there were crosses into our box that a good striker could've done something with.

i suspect we'll see a few teams this season like that, lacking in one particular area. we'll see what happens when we play against an up-and-coming striker. but then again, perhaps i'm worrying needlessly. i see halifax fans were very complimentary of our defence, so i'm going to stop worrying and see what happens - too many seasons of expecting the worst and finding out i'd set my standards too high. :roll: