Liam Boyce Trial

Anything yellow and blue
DANCHU-4-OU
Baby

Liam Boyce Trial

Post by DANCHU-4-OU »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14252259.stm

Looks a decent youngster with awards and reputation! If he doesn't impress us then he moving to another trial at Bologna in Italy!

Last perfect signing for Wilder I think apart from Mike Green or Chris Konopka :D
Yellow-Robbo
Brat

Post by Yellow-Robbo »

Looks interesting... I'm just wondering what formation we're going to play with all our strikers. We have Smalley, Pittman, Beano and Craddock. Where does another striker fit in? I image we'll be playing 4-3-3 next year.

Smalley, Craddock/Constable, Pittman as a front three?
EIEIEIO
yellowfever
Embryo

Post by yellowfever »

Not forgetting Potter too, he has impressed so far in pre-season!
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Sideshow Rob »

Lionel Messi eat your heart out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO4PR4I5ObE
Yellow-Robbo
Brat

Re:

Post by Yellow-Robbo »

&quotyellowfever&quot wrote:Not forgetting Potter too, he has impressed so far in pre-season!
My bad - Potter has been immense!

I'm just confused now. Say we do take the Irish chap on and everyone is fit - Wilder is going to have a lot of choice. Too much perhaps? hmmmmmm.
EIEIEIO
BigCrompy
Puberty

Re:

Post by BigCrompy »

&quotSideshow Rob&quot wrote:Lionel Messi eat your heart out!

It's a cracking goal and very promising, but I note just one of the contenders for the 'Goal of the Season' award - I wonder if it won? On another tack it reminds me of the time I was living in Scotland and Sky TV obviously had the Prem, so terrestrial TV made the best of it and covered their second flight, running their own goal of the month comp. One week one of the contenders was a penalty. 'Nuff said.

I am also reminded of Jim Smith's programme notes, the very first time I ever came to The Manor - Boxing Day '84. He wrote that we had '...just signed Peter Foley on non-contract terms to provide a bit of cover where we are a bit light, up front...' The player sponsorship page revealed that all of Aldridge, Hamilton, Charles, Vinter, Biggins, Whatmore, Barnett, Thomas, Jones and Lawrence etc were all still on the payroll! (although some may have been moved on on loan by that time, and the programme not updated).

So I personally think there's space for as many strikers as we can see fit! I do appreciate keeping them happy represents a problem, but a problem I'd rather have than a deficit of quality. The right sort of player will improve his game until he's undroppable, whereas the player that's happy to fester and not improve is probably worth his free transfer to Cheltenham.
Steppers
Brat

Post by Steppers »

I presume this is just a replacement on trial terms for Patterson (sp) and therefore we can assume that in Wilders mind he wants one more striker (or knows one might be off!?!)

&amp that Woodley might as well join Oxford City now.

D
DANCHU-4-OU
Baby

Re:

Post by DANCHU-4-OU »

&quotYellow-Robbo&quot wrote:Looks interesting... I'm just wondering what formation we're going to play with all our strikers. We have Smalley, Pittman, Beano and Craddock. Where does another striker fit in? I image we'll be playing 4-3-3 next year.

Smalley, Craddock/Constable, Pittman as a front three?

Definitely 4-3-3, I would say with Smalley (left), Beano (CF) and Potter (right) but only because of pre-season performance so far ... ...
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

&quotall of Aldridge, Hamilton, Charles, Vinter, Biggins, Whatmore, Barnett, Thomas, Jones and Lawrence etc were all still on the payroll!&quot ................... Not all at the same time.
BigCrompy
Puberty

Re:

Post by BigCrompy »

&quotneilw&quot wrote:&quotall of Aldridge, Hamilton, Charles, Vinter, Biggins, Whatmore, Barnett, Thomas, Jones and Lawrence etc were all still on the payroll!&quot ................... Not all at the same time.
If you just read on (as far as the next line!), you'll see I acknowledged that very fact, however the point endures...that our best ever team allowed for some healthy competition in the centre-forward position.
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Sideshow Rob »

&quotBigCrompy&quot wrote:
&quotSideshow Rob&quot wrote:Lionel Messi eat your heart out!

It's a cracking goal and very promising, but I note just one of the contenders for the 'Goal of the Season' award - I wonder if it won? On another tack it reminds me of the time I was living in Scotland and Sky TV obviously had the Prem, so terrestrial TV made the best of it and covered their second flight, running their own goal of the month comp. One week one of the contenders was a penalty. 'Nuff said.

I am also reminded of Jim Smith's programme notes, the very first time I ever came to The Manor - Boxing Day '84. He wrote that we had '...just signed Peter Foley on non-contract terms to provide a bit of cover where we are a bit light, up front...' The player sponsorship page revealed that all of Aldridge, Hamilton, Charles, Vinter, Biggins, Whatmore, Barnett, Thomas, Jones and Lawrence etc were all still on the payroll! (although some may have been moved on on loan by that time, and the programme not updated).

So I personally think there's space for as many strikers as we can see fit! I do appreciate keeping them happy represents a problem, but a problem I'd rather have than a deficit of quality. The right sort of player will improve his game until he's undroppable, whereas the player that's happy to fester and not improve is probably worth his free transfer to Cheltenham.
That goal did win the goal of the season competition in Northern Ireland. Last season he been playing for Werder Bremen's reserves who pay in Germany's third tier.
Out of the gloom
Puberty

Post by Out of the gloom »

As a left-footed international who has experience overseas, he has a few things on his CV that make him a bit different from the average lower league triallist e.g. Paterson. Provided he shows sufficient quality during his trial, a short-term deal if only on the understanding till a bigger club comes in, could be beneficial to all. Except perhaps Woodley.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

Get's his chance tonight: http://www.oufc.co.uk/page/News/0,,1034 ... 54,00.html

Slightly irritated that I got my first friendly ticket in 5 years thinking, it'll be nice to have a look at the new players and it's last seasons team plus one trialist, sod's law!
DANCHU-4-OU
Baby

Post by DANCHU-4-OU »

The lad has just recently joined Cliftonville back in Ireland. Presumably for the absence of Rory Donnelly who I believe has signed for Premier League side Swansea???
Andrewmaha
Brat

Re:

Post by Andrewmaha »

&quotDANCHU-4-OU&quot wrote:The lad has just recently joined Cliftonville back in Ireland. Presumably for the absence of Rory Donnelly who I believe has signed for Premier League side Swansea???
You are quite correct in your statement regarding the transfer of Rory Donnelly to Swansea City. It is estimated that a transfer fee in the region of £100k was enough to secure the deal.