1.7m Olympic tickets going begging

Anything yellow and blue
Snake
Grumpy old git

1.7m Olympic tickets going begging

Post by Snake »

That’s how many footy tickets are not sold for 2012, with just an additional few hundred thousand left for other events (which unfortunately don’t include women’s Volleyball as the sponsors have grabbed nearly all those).

For what it’s worth then even if Becks and Posh agree to have a public foursome with Lord Coe and Ryan Giggs on the pitch at half time during the first game football game I still won’t be buying a ticket.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic ... 854492.stm
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

We looked into getting tickets for the trampoline finals, but the whole system was ridiculous - give us your credit card details and then in a couple of months we'll extract a random amount of money.

The thing is, if I can't get tickets for everyone in my family, then I don't want any at all.

Besides, you can go to the World Championships in Birmingham this year, and see exactly the same competitors, for a quarter of the price.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:We looked into getting tickets for the trampoline finals, but the whole system was ridiculous - give us your credit card details and then in a couple of months we'll extract a random amount of money.

The thing is, if I can't get tickets for everyone in my family, then I don't want any at all.

Besides, you can go to the World Championships in Birmingham this year, and see exactly the same competitors, for a quarter of the price.
You might just have missed my point there. I also applied for tickets for various events but got none, which was what I expected to be honest so it's no big deal.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:We looked into getting tickets for the trampoline finals, but the whole system was ridiculous - give us your credit card details and then in a couple of months we'll extract a random amount of money.

You might just have missed my point there. I also applied for tickets for various events but got none, which was what I expected to be honest so it's no big deal.
Did you have a point? :D

If the system had been that you applied for X tickets, and then there was a weighted chance that you would either win X tickets or none, then I would have been happy, but the possibilty of winning X-3 or similar put me off - do you tell two of the kids they're not coming?
bspittles
Brat

Post by bspittles »

If you applied for four tickets for one event, you would have either got all four or none.

If you applied for four tickets for each of four different events, you will have received between nought and four blocks of four tickets.

There was never the possibility of getting three tickets for an event if you applied for four.

I got one pair out of the 19 I applied for, but managed to get the evening session of the final Friday's athletics, so daughter and I are *very* happy!
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

woo hoo!
Canoe Sprint at Eton Dorney
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

My point is that the FA are currently flogging the footy as a combined GB team, which threatens the independence of the other home nations. That's why I won't be applying for football tickets.
SteMerritt
Puberty

Re:

Post by SteMerritt »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:...which threatens the independence of the other home nations.
Says who? Link to FIFA or UEFA with them saying this?
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

Football I got 2 group matches at Coventry and the Mens Semi final at Wembley a 100% request to delivered ratio.

Of the others I got a 10% return with 3 tickets for the Rowing in Slough.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

0% return going for steeplechase heats so that my 80 yr old dad could see Brits run in what was his event. Very disappointed as he saw the 1948 London Olympics and was first reserve for the GB squad in the fifties having come third in the trials. :cry:
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotBoogie&quot wrote:0% return going for steeplechase heats so that my 80 yr old dad could see Brits run in what was his event. Very disappointed as he saw the 1948 London Olympics and was first reserve for the GB squad in the fifties having come third in the trials. :cry:
He should be given a free ticket.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotSteMerritt&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:...which threatens the independence of the other home nations.
I can't see what the fuss is about from Scotland NI and Wales.

The Olympics is not a FIFA event and has nothing to do with FIFA.

If a coach is appointed for a GB team and players from different parts of GB choose to accept an invitation to play it is none of the business of FIFA, The FA, Scottish FA, Welsh FA, or NI FA.

There are no rules then disqualifying the players if they play in the Olympics and no rules then disqualifying the countries of GB from remaining independant.

It's all a load of crap.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

I've got a ticket that covers the medal ceremony for the women's steeplechase!! No cycling though. Ruth has a synchro swimming ticket, to which she is welcome.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

On the cycling front what's the situation with getting a pitch on Box Hill to watch competitors go around several times?

Is it first come first served i.e. camp overnight?

Saw a bit about it on Countyfile Sunday and it looks like a management headache for a SSSI but they did not say if they would be charging entry.
Last edited by Boogie on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotSteMerritt&quot wrote:
I can't see what the fuss is about from Scotland NI and Wales.

The Olympics is not a FIFA event and has nothing to do with FIFA.

If a coach is appointed for a GB team and players from different parts of GB choose to accept an invitation to play it is none of the business of FIFA, The FA, Scottish FA, Welsh FA, or NI FA.

There are no rules then disqualifying the players if they play in the Olympics and no rules then disqualifying the countries of GB from remaining independant.

It's all a load of crap.
Agree to some extent, but...

a) If it’s such a load of crap then why are the English FA resorting to telling lies in order to promote ticket sales, especially when they have more pressing matters to deal with next summer - like the Euro 2012 finals?

b) If the GB team won and Craig Bellamy scored the winning goal in the final, what anthem would be played at medals time I wonder? Would it be “God Save the Queen