Supporters Direct threat

Anything yellow and blue
Sackcloth Ox
Puberty

Supporters Direct threat

Post by Sackcloth Ox »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011 ... wn-twitter

Funding has got to continue! SD have been very helpful to OxVox over the years. I met Boyle once or twice, he gave me the impression of being quite anti establishment but intelligent and passionate.

Twitter seems to infect everything these days....
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Here's the proper link for people who want to see the story. Not really sure what the moral of the story is here, but it can't be good news.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

The moral is that you don't stick two fingers up at the people who pay your wages.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

What a stupid thing to have done.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:The moral is that you don't stick two fingers up at the people who pay your wages.
Agreed it was a very silly thing to have done.

&quotIn his tweets Boyle made disparaging remarks about Peter Winkelman, MK Dons chairman and the chief proponent of Wimbledon FC's move to Milton Keynes in 2002, and Raj Parker, a lawyer who sat on the FA panel that sanctioned it. The vast majority of Wimbledon fans rejected Milton Keynes and formed their own club, beginning in the Combined Counties League. Their promotion to the Football League represents a landmark achievement for SD and Boyle, who worked intensively to assist AFC Wimbledon.&quot

But not sure how this is sticking two fingers up to the people (the Premier League) who pay his wages. Winkleman is not a premier league chairman (thank goodness) and the FA ain't the Premier League. Or have I missed something.
Peacedon
Embryo

Post by Peacedon »

While some were celebratory, if obscene – &quotThe Bible can fuck off. This is the greatest story ever told&quot – others were highly personal in content and very crude.

This tweet also caused offence - He should have known better than to air his views on a social networking site
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotPeacedon&quot wrote:While some were celebratory, if obscene – &quotThe Bible can fuck off. This is the greatest story ever told&quot – others were highly personal in content and very crude.

This tweet also caused offence - He should have known better than to air his views on a social networking site
It’s a stupid thing to say and the url of the now deleted account is still cashed here - http://twitter.com/#!/gilbertrolfe/stat ... 6630756353 (you can't hide on the net) but other more high profile people have tweeted much more stupid things and got away with it – even raised their profile...

However, in essence it’s just an excuse for the Prem to save themselves some money - and who can blame them as SD does nothing for them? For my part I was astonished to learn that SD were funded by the very people who would like to keep the football shop as closed as possible and not the government or the FA. Well, here is a chance for the FA to fill the funding gap as they seem so keen on ‘grass roots’ football.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotPeacedon&quot wrote:While some were celebratory, if obscene – &quotThe Bible can fuck off. This is the greatest story ever told&quot – others were highly personal in content and very crude.

It’s a stupid thing to say and the url of the now deleted account is still cashed here - http://twitter.com/#!/gilbertrolfe/stat ... 6630756353 (you can't hide on the net) but other more high profile people have tweeted much more stupid things and got away with it – even raised their profile...

However, in essence it’s just an excuse for the Prem to save themselves some money - and who can blame them as SD does nothing for them? For my part I was astonished to learn that SD were funded by the very people who would like to keep the football shop as closed as possible and not the government or the FA. Well, here is a chance for the FA to fill the funding gap as they seem so keen on ‘grass roots’ football.
&quotcached&quot even...
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:

&quotcached&quot even...
Could be a Frudian slip, could be a typo. Who knows – I know I don’t :shock:
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I see OxVox have written a letter to the FSIF in relation to this.

While I welcome this in principal, I'm not sure I agree that suggesting (several times) that the FSIF's views run counter to those of supporters is the best way of getting the point across. Anyway, will be interesting to see if they get a reply.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:I see OxVox have written a letter to the FSIF in relation to this.

While I welcome this in principal, I'm not sure I agree that suggesting (several times) that the FSIF's views run counter to those of supporters is the best way of getting the point across. Anyway, will be interesting to see if they get a reply.
:roll:
Brahma Bull
Puberty

Re:

Post by Brahma Bull »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:I see OxVox have written a letter to the FSIF in relation to this.

Following our recent letter to the Football Stadia Improvement Fund we have received a reply from our patron, Oxford East MP Andrew Smith, who was copied in on the letter.

Mr Smith has informed us that after receiving our letter he has put down a Parliamentary Question to the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, which asks 'if he will make representations to the Premier League to reinstate funding for Supporters Direct.' He is also in the process of writing to the Sports Minister on the matter.

OxVox chairman Mark Sennett said: “We are delighted that Andrew Smith has taken the time to raise this issue in Parliament following our letter. It’s pleasing to see a local MP sharing our concerns on this matter, which we feel very strongly about. We look forward to seeing what response his questions receive.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I was having a look at the AFCW WHAK news and found this at the bottom ...

&quotOn Wednesday we meet representatives of the Football Stadia Improvement Fund to discuss our application for a grant towards the cost of the control room project, followed by a meeting with our bankers as we prepare to draw down on our facility to help to fund that project.&quot

I wonder if Dave Boyle will be in attendance?
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:I was having a look at the AFCW WHAK news and found this at the bottom ...

&quotOn Wednesday we meet representatives of the Football Stadia Improvement Fund to discuss our application for a grant towards the cost of the control room project, followed by a meeting with our bankers as we prepare to draw down on our facility to help to fund that project.&quot

I wonder if Dave Boyle will be in attendance?
Did the FSIF help provide funding for AFCW to buy Kingstonian's ground off them?