No one went!

Anything yellow and blue
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

No one went!

Post by Werthers Original »

Am surprised no one from this forum attended the game on Sunday. It wasn't very exciting or impressive but was still a pleasing result against the poorest side to have visited this season.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

After yet another niggly challenge that went unpunished by the ref. Wilder was heard to shout &quotI see that F***ing DVD has worked then&quot to Paul Peskysolido.
John Byrne's Underpants
Puberty

Post by John Byrne's Underpants »

Good enough to get the job done I think. Second half much better than the first. I suspect the sending offs helped! Glad to see Westley's advice paid off then :lol: That guy seems to have an (unhealthy?) obsession with us at the moment.

Burton can't really complain about either sending off, although they had a possible case with the third goal. Was Craddock offside?

Probably too little too late, but it at least keeps the season alive for now.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

I thought Craddock was offside for the last goal. If he was, it merely adds to a long litany of bad decisions by incompetent officials yesterday (apart from the two red cards). Whilst Moore's card was one of those things, the other - plus all the yellows - were for me largely the consequence of the ref losing control in the first half. Just relieved we had nobody sent off.

Very poor first half from both teams, but we did get a little better in the second. Having missed several games, that is now two in a row where I have seen Worley up against a decent (for this level) striker (Donaldson then Zola) and, in that situation, dealt with the player extremely well. After the second red card my mind went back to the Halifax game - but I was certainly happier than some of the callers to RadOx that we shut the game down and kept a clean sheet, rather than going recklessly for a hatful.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I was wondering what the Westley suggestions were? Presumably, win the toss and let United attack the home end first half go hard into tackles as Oxford are a bunch of softies who are scared of a challenge. It was most satisfying to see them fail. At this rate Burton are in real danger of getting tangled up in the relegation spots, particularly as they will be missing the two sent off players.

I was though surprised by the Craddock straight yellow early on when standing in front of the ball to stop a quick free-kick. I thought this was a legitimate tactic in football, and if Burton were not in a position to take the quick free-kick, it is then down to the ref to move the player back 10 yards (or at least warn him first).

Their goalkeeper kept the score semi-respectable until the third goal, and for once it was nice to have a clean sheet.

I was also surprised to read in the programme that in Wilder's playing days he had been in the same team as Darren Moore at Bradford.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

I was more surprised by Jake's booking, I thought he had been fouled rather than doing the fouling.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

For me the turning point was the Moore sending off. Well done to Beano for out sprinting him. Usually against 10 we are crap. But as Craddock again expertly slotted the pen away we were in a very comfortable position.

The first few mins saw us play some excellent passing football and score the opened but then we allowed a mediocre team to come back into it and largely dominate. Although I can't say any individual was havign a poor game there seemed to be a general lethargy in the overall team play.

Tonkin has come in for much critisism recently but I thought he had a very good game yesterday.

Craddock should have scored but I thought his control and link up play were again excellent and still overlooked by many.

We do, however seem to be missing positive movement up front to create goal scoring chances.

Thought Heslop was again excellent having been a little frustrated by him recently.

Burton are not Stevenage so it is madness for them to try and play like Stevenage. Thanks Westley, you probably helped our cause on that if truth be told.

And has it ever happened before when we have won a game three nil with the first being scored against 11 the second against 10 and the third against 9?
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:I was more surprised by Jake's booking, I thought he had been fouled rather than doing the fouling.
Looked to me to be a tangle of legs but I suppose you could stretch the arguement to include the Moore felling of Beano so I won't complain too loudly.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:
I was though surprised by the Craddock straight yellow early on when standing in front of the ball to stop a quick free-kick. I thought this was a legitimate tactic in football, and if Burton were not in a position to take the quick free-kick, it is then down to the ref to move the player back 10 yards (or at least warn him first).
I'd like to see players get booked every time they do this. Craddock made it so easy for the ref by standing so close to the ball. Thought he was going to stand on it in Steve MacLean fashion.
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

Craddock did score?!?!
He took the penalty!!!
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Radley Rambler »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotslappy&quot wrote:
I'd like to see players get booked every time they do this. Craddock made it so easy for the ref by standing so close to the ball. Thought he was going to stand on it in Steve MacLean fashion.
The fact he ran 10 yards to get in the way of the freekick didn't help his cause as well. I'm with Baboo, book players who 'cheat' like this. On a similar vein I note that players seem able to kick the ball away again without fear of a yellow card (except Van Persie!)
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotSWA&quot wrote:Craddock did score?!?!
He took the penalty!!!
Oh yeah! Whoops, I seem to have caught the &quotpenalties don't really count&quot virus that was around when Rob Duffy was playing for us. What I should have said was &quotfrom open play&quot.

But in my defence I did say he expertly slotted away the pen.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I must have seen adifferent game to some. I thought the ref was pretty good and got most of the big decisions right, which is unusual as I'm usually the first to have a go at the ref.

First half we controlled until until we stopped passing the ball and decided to hoof instead. That allowed Burton back into the game for the last 20 minutes of the first half.

Second half we looked very comfortable and I was never worried that we would concede. If anything after the Moore sending off, we took our collective foot off the pedal and played it like a training game.

Burton got everything they deserved from this match, and more fool them for trying to play like Westley's wankers.

Overall I'm pretty satisfied with that performance.

I didn't think Heslop was MoM. I would have given it to Burge who I have been very impressed with so far. Craddock had an excellent game as did Beano, Wright and Batt. I would include Clarke but he had so little to do.

Wasn't disappointed with any player really.

Bury will be a very different game. They are a good passing side and I hope they have rolled their pitch before the game. The videos of them I have seen have shown the pitch to be some way off Kassamstandards, but also a lot better than Edgley Park, so hopefully a passing game will be reasonably possible.

I've not been to Gigg Lane before, so looking forward to that. Anyone else who goes, feel free to come and say hello.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Well, eat my words. Doing my best to freeze-frame the BBC clip to see if Craddock was offside for the third goal, it looks to me he timed his run to absolute perfection. Not that it matters, of course. Also, the clip gave me a better view of Parks' 'tackle' on Beano for his second yellow. What the hell is Pesky complaining about?
deanwindass
Puberty

Post by deanwindass »

Looks like he was just on to me, considering that the closest frame to Hackney's pass is just after he's played it.