mitchell cole retires ???

Anything yellow and blue
womble
Brat

mitchell cole retires ???

Post by womble »

i had a call this morning saying that mitchell cole has had to pack the game in due to the same heart condition as andy scott had .texted a few people one came back with she had seen something on face book last night anybody else heard anything ???
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

What a shame for a 25 yr old. Strange that there has been no announcement on the OUFC site. I doubt we knew about his condition when we signed him.
Might explain the apparent lack of tracking back and giving it everything to win the ball back on the few occassions we saw him in an Oxford shirt. Unfortunately not much use to the team though and something fans are likely to pick up on.
Football is such a physically demanding game these days that it is a high risk strategy to play when the evidence suggests that your body is not up to it.
Tremendous guts for giving it a go though. I wich him all the best for the future.
OUFC_Gav
Toddler

Re:

Post by OUFC_Gav »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:What a shame for a 25 yr old. Strange that there has been no announcement on the OUFC site. I doubt we knew about his condition when we signed him.
Might explain the apparent lack of tracking back and giving it everything to win the ball back on the few occassions we saw him in an Oxford shirt. Unfortunately not much use to the team though and something fans are likely to pick up on.
Football is such a physically demanding game these days that it is a high risk strategy to play when the evidence suggests that your body is not up to it.
Tremendous guts for giving it a go though. I wich him all the best for the future.
He's apparently known about it since he was a teenager, so I would hope we would have done and put something appropriate in his contract.
BigCrompy
Puberty

Post by BigCrompy »

I actually was lucky enough to do some work experience at the club with John Clinkard back in the day when I was altruistic enough to want to be someone as helpful as a physio. In fact I was there when the late Martin Aldridge signed, though needless to say I couldn't observe his medical. It makes me wonder what constitutes a 'medical' prior to signing for a football club since we have a club doctor in name, would we not use him? Would an ECG machine set us back that much, or could we not refer them up to the JR for that plus a chest film? I appreciate neither is diagnostic but even an Echo strikes me as a sound investment in a time that even factory workers can be given a fairly thorough work-up prior to being appointed to a job.

I have no doubt at all that insurance will see the club compensated and the player adequately reimbursed for his contract, and helped into a non-playing position - but nevertheless it's still food for thought.
deanwindass
Puberty

Post by deanwindass »

Confirmed: http&#58//www&#46oufc&#46co&#46uk/page/ ... 0&#46html?

Sad news, which explains a lot.
John Byrne's Underpants
Puberty

Post by John Byrne's Underpants »

:( Very sad for the poor guy, however it's a good job they found out now.

Good luck to him in the future.
Shoobedoo
Puberty

Post by Shoobedoo »

I was really excited when we signed Mitchell Cole in the summer, I'm a big fan of good wing play (having spent my formative years enjoying the talents of Brocky, Rosie, Langie and the like), and was looking forward to seeing him play. I was therefore disappointed and somewhat frustrated to see him struggle to break into the side, particularly as he'd done so well in one of the two sides to finish above us in the conference last season.

At least now we know why, and thank goodness the cause has been found before something serious happened.

Good luck in the future mate, and stay healthy.
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

More weight against the argument that footballers are overpaid parasites. A short career and one fraught with insecurity and health risks, for most. Good luck Mitch.
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
BigCrompy
Puberty

Re:

Post by BigCrompy »

&quottomoufc&quot wrote:More weight against the argument that footballers are overpaid parasites. A short career and one fraught with insecurity and health risks, for most. Good luck Mitch.
Not only the potentially life-threatening but that which causes great morbidity in later life...I don't know how Stuart Massey recovered from his awful injury, but the wonderful Dave Langan was reportedly almost chair-bound with his knees at some point recently. Jamie Brooks was hardly unique amongst footballers though his condition coincidental and I'm sure there are other illnesses that could see such young men out of work at 25. Here's hoping there's a youth team out there begging for a coach of England C calibre.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotBigCrompy&quot wrote:I actually was lucky enough to do some work experience at the club with John Clinkard back in the day when I was altruistic enough to want to be someone as helpful as a physio. .
Snap. I was there end of '89.