Jack Off......

Anything yellow and blue
Roo
Mid-life Crisis

Jack Off......

Post by Roo »

........to Southend on Loan.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 162484.stm

Not too sure what to think about this, but I hope we have a better player in place to come in.

As always though, in Wilder we trust.
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

Yeah, It's been obvious that CW doesn't fancy Jack to play with Constable. He's a Beano back up.

I would imagine a new striker will be signed before the next league match.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

Really, really disappointed by this. It means a) he doesn't rate Jack despite work rate, aerial ability and character, b) Beano is undroppable and c) he has to go out and find someone else to essentially do what Jack was ding anyway, ie warm the bench. Poor decision.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

I don't buy the &quotJack Midson&quot is God hype.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

I don't really mind about this, though I'd rather Wilder improved what we had than constantly changed personnel. Jack seems a lovely chap and has got some goals but we've seen from other teams that the standard is high, and I wouldn't really back Jack to cause defences a lot of problems.
John Byrne's Underpants
Puberty

Post by John Byrne's Underpants »

A shame because his work rate and attitude on the pitch were excellent. I don't understand why Wilder didn't let him go in the summer though as he's clearly not in his long term plans.

Good luck to the guy and perhaps he can prove his worth elsewhere.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Achhhhhhhhh, bad bad bad.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:I don't buy the &quotJack Midson&quot is God hype.
Nor do I.
I don't think any of our players are &quotGod&quot.

I wonder why we signed Jack in the first place. Feel sorry for the bloke, although will be interesting to see how he does at Southend. I wish him well (except against us of course - if he's allowed to play).
Let's hope whoever CW brings in has real ability in the air.
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

Jack is upset and doesn't want to move.

There are rumours that Potter has been bollocked too, but that could be just tinternet balls.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Wilder and Lewis should be looking at themselves. When's the last time that we signed a player and made them better than they were at first?
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotWerthers Original&quot wrote:Wilder and Lewis should be looking at themselves. When's the last time that we signed a player and made them better than they were at first?
Good point.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Radley Rambler »

&quotWerthers Original&quot wrote:I don't really mind about this, though I'd rather Wilder improved what we had than constantly changed personnel. Jack seems a lovely chap and has got some goals but we've seen from other teams that the standard is high, and I wouldn't really back Jack to cause defences a lot of problems.
Occasionally I can seem to be a lovely chap but that doesn't mean I should be leading the line for OUFC.....

I don't mind this move, Midson is an adequate player at this level but nothing more. His card was marked when Craddock came in who imho does offer more (if only in terms of hitting the back of the net more regularly). The key though will be who now comes in and whether they are an improvement. Time will tell.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

I don't know whether or not Craddock is a &quotbetter player&quot than Midson, but I've seen little evidence that we play better as a team with Craddock than with Midson. Think back to last season with Wilder deciding that Grant and Franny Green were better than Midson: was only when he started regularly again that the season turned around. Seems to me he is one of those players who makes things happen even if he doesn't always quite achieve himself, just by presence, intelligent positioning and so on. And hence, not always appreciated for that, too.
deanwindass
Puberty

Re:

Post by deanwindass »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:I don't buy the &quotJack Midson&quot is God hype.
Nor do I.
I don't think any of our players are &quotGod&quot.
Josh Payne IS God.
&quotBaboo&quot wrote: I wonder why we signed Jack in the first place. Feel sorry for the bloke, although will be interesting to see how he does at Southend. I wish him well (except against us of course - if he's allowed to play).
Let's hope whoever CW brings in has real ability in the air.
Because we hoped he'd match his scoring rate at Histon, which he didn't even get close to doing.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Of course Craddock is scoring more than Midson - because he is playing more. The frustration for me is that Midson has simply not been given equal treatment compared to other strikers in terms of sustained runs in the starting 11.

If others are correct in arguing that he is basically competing with Constable for that central position (Constable seemingly being untouchable regardless of form), then we come back to the question of why he was bought in the first place (I think the reference to the number of goals scored at Histon is moot, if CW wants him to play in a different formation and position) and why he was kept on at the end of last season, with CW stating explicitly Jack was an important part of his plans for this season.

If that was so - why has he not been played more?