Anything yellow and blue
Snake
Grumpy old git

Not true, surely?

Post by Snake »

Histon took no fans to Wrexham?

http://www.wrexhamafc.co.uk/page/MatchR ... 78,00.html

http://www.footballeconomy.com/content/ ... bring-away

I seem to recall that our lowest every away support was a few years ago at Bury, with just 32 turning up.
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

Yup 100% true. We bumped into the Histon team coach on the way back from Crewe at the M6 toll services. ZERO. ZILCH. NONE.
The OXman Cometh
Brat

Post by The OXman Cometh »

There was a League cup match at Huddersfield in the early 80's when I believe only 27 turned up.
Also at Huddersfield only 8 turned up on a very snowy day in the 80's when the coaches that were booked couldn't make it out of Oxford and there were only about 5 games on in the whole of the country, Oxfords was on MotD that night and I remember there was no bus service at all in the north of the county, so you could say this was exceptional and doesn't count.
Belgian Yellow
Toddler

Post by Belgian Yellow »

There were a couple of directors I think, but no one in the away stand.
bspittles
Brat

Post by bspittles »

I was one of 29 Oxford fans at Doncaster in the mid 80s. We won 1-0 (Vintner? Train?)
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Why the dearth of away fans for several games in the mid 80s (our most successful period ever!)? If today, we were at Doncaster even in midweek, I'd expect c.300 fans to make it - any one know why there were these poor turnouts 25 years ago?
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotRadley Rambler&quot wrote:Why the dearth of away fans for several games in the mid 80s (our most successful period ever!)? If today, we were at Doncaster even in midweek, I'd expect c.300 fans to make it - any one know why there were these poor turnouts 25 years ago?
A combination of factors, I think. At that time crowds were generally pretty poor anyway because of violence and a decline in the reputation of the game. Transport infrastructure was a lot worse than it is today (especially traveling north of Brum from Oxford). There was a lot less disposable income back then, and conditions for football supporters at the grounds were fairly grim (remember the fences and cages and the police hostility etc).

Having said all that, I don't really know the answer, except that it was coming off the back of the late 70s, which saw the club's worst attendances coinciding with the worst results we'd had up to then.
Out of the gloom
Puberty

Post by Out of the gloom »

Good a reason as any to deny that the game ever happened. No witnesses, only Wrexham's word. :wink:
Peterorange
Puberty

Re:

Post by Peterorange »

&quotOut of the gloom&quot wrote:Good a reason as any to deny that the game ever happened. No witnesses, only Wrexham's word. :wink:
except maybe the ref ). If he had his eyes open at any point.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Answer the question and expect enlightenment: if the home fans chant &quotWho are you?&quot but there are no away fans to hear them, did it really happen?

You can never step on the same terrace twice.

What is the sound of one fan clapping?

The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single to the city centre, please.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

From the proboards thread

(Not) in the blue seats
bspittles
Brat

Re:

Post by bspittles »

&quotboris&quot wrote:The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single to the city centre, please.
:lol:
womble
Brat

Post by womble »

doncaster away 16/4/83 goal scored by trevor hebberd
Belgian Yellow
Toddler

Re:

Post by Belgian Yellow »

&quotboris&quot wrote:Answer the question and expect enlightenment: if the home fans chant &quotWho are you?&quot but there are no away fans to hear them, did it really happen?

You can never step on the same terrace twice.

What is the sound of one fan clapping?

The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single to the city centre, please.
Very good!

And don't forget Histon-stein's saying

&quotWhereof one cannot chant, thereof one must be silent.&quot
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by OUFC4eva »

&quotwomble&quot wrote:doncaster away 16/4/83 goal scored by trevor hebberd
That was the day (I remember it well ) when the Thames Valley Royals
bombshell exploded. I was listening to Radio Oxford as a 14 year old
and finding it difficult to comprehend the broadcast.

I remember asking my Dad what the word &quotmerger&quot meant and then
upon hearing the explanation - being dumbstruck and very upset.