Unusual Events at Crewe

Anything yellow and blue
Snake
Grumpy old git

Unusual Events at Crewe

Post by Snake »

Players overturning the decision of the ref and the lino?

Surely not?

Remarkable - I don't think I've ever seen that happen.

I was too far away to see if it was offside or not but by the way just about the whole team rushed to the lino you sensed something strange had happened.

And also, how can you attack a player (Craddock) even when the ball had been dead for about a minute and not get sent off?

Weird game, weird place (70% of the capacity on one side of the ground) and a very weird referee.

Still, a point nicked...
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Just got back.

Thought it was a very good point against a useful Crewe outfit
who look to have some very talented young players. The referee
lost control of the game and made some strange decisions and I thought
the first yellow for Constable was harsh. Constable then gave the ref another decision to make with a stupid trip on Tootle after tracking back 50 yards.Donaldson spent most of the afternoon feigning injury and looking to get opponents cautioned.

The second Crewe &quotgoal&quot was blatantly offside.

Good performances from Purkiss, Worley and I felt Constable put in a shift.

Another bizarre bit of trivia - the pitch is and looked very small.Probably the smallist pitch I've ever seen for a pro.game.

The Oxford support looked far more than a 1,000. Can't believe there were 3,800 Crewe home tickets sold.The gate was &gt4,500
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Official site says we had 731 there.
That main Crewe stand is pretty big. Holds 7000.
womble
Brat

Post by womble »

at the end of the game i made my way to the car park behind the main stand i was the first one back to the car while i was waiting a crewe fan was walking towards me chanting if youre being outplayed hack them down he repeated this at least three times my reply to him was dream on he must have been at least my age if not older just wonder what game was he watching or what was he on :!: :!: :!:
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotwomble&quot wrote:at the end of the game i made my way to the car park behind the main stand i was the first one back to the car while i was waiting a crewe fan was walking towards me chanting if youre being outplayed hack them down he repeated this at least three times my reply to him was dream on he must have been at least my age if not older just wonder what game was he watching or what was he on :!: :!: :!:
Blinkered set of fans.
Crewe players constantly went to ground at the slightest of challenges and the fans bayed for blood. On the rare occasions when any of ours went down they were going mad. They of course chose to ignore they had a centre half who used elbows and fists.
womble
Brat

Post by womble »

be careful what you say this week dont upset the manager :!: :!:
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

For what's its worth, I thought we were very poor 1st half. Nothing in the mdfield to unlock their team. Payne must have either been carrying a knock or realising that if he gets injured, he goes home and doesn't come back, as he shirked every tackle going. The sub at halftime was the correct one.

Thought purkiss looked excellent in defending but he doesn't unlock and exploit the left back in the same way Batt does. He seems to spend most of the time passing sideways or backwards. To be fair, in an away game this doesn't bother me so much, but at home where we need to enforce, it can be frustrating. He should be commended for his performance yesterday, overall.

Very happy with a point and the players worked their socks off 2nd half to try and make it happen against a shockingly gamesman-like performance from Crewe and a ref (and linesmen) who really lost the plot.

Kudos for our offside tap which worked well 4 or 5 times against Donaldson and Clarkey once again had a solid game.

Midson and Green should also be applauded for the efforts. I'm interested to see what front 3 CW will go with for 'nam away now...

Overall status: very happy with a point. If we can be 10th at Christmas, who knows what might happen 2nd half of the season....
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

That was my first visit to Gresty Road. It is good to have a ground 5 minutes walk from the station.

I had a quick look in the club shop to buy a badge and was impressed by some of their souvenirs - etched crystal glasses and tankards. A bit more classy than our shop with its garden gnomes.

Pre-match in the Corner Bar, I said hello to the group of Hibs fans who had ventured down and seemed to be having fun. The range of real ales confused me so I ended up getting a pint of Cunning Stunt re-spoonerised which was slightly embarrassing. I also met the lad who dressed as Superman at the Play-off final and is now featured in I think every non-league programme each week as part of a betting advert. He said he remembered the photo being taken as the photographers were in his face all match waiting for a good opportunity, and later scoured the internet for it, but it wasn't until a Wrexham fan at his work plonked a match-day programme on his desk that he saw it. His pleas for an appearance fee by way of some free bets were turned down.

At the ground I was pleasantly surprised to hear they really do play Dario G as part of the pre-match music (Sunchyme and Carneval de Paris) and now have Life in a Northern Town as an earworm.

I did get a bit confused that the entrance to the stand was from the top, as at half time I walked to the bottom expecting to find the exit, and then had to walk back to the top again. It reminded me slightly of Luton with a strange walk up the steps to get in.

On the pitch we were lucky to get a point, but this was a relatively poor showing from Oxford compared to most of the games this season, rather than being outclassed. Perhaps Bulman being shopped out to Crawley has hit dressing room morale a bit.

A quick stop at the fish and chip shop for £2.99 chips and stewed steak and gravy before catching the 5:30 train back to London, which raced back in an hour and a half, entertained by a group of Chelsea fans on their way back from Man City who couldn't believe we regularly take 800 fans to places like Crewe. I did of course remind them that we had won at Wembley more recently than them.

Mat Mitchel-King was on the train back as well, and kindly autographed my programme, and I wished them luck for the rest of the season. The programme was a good read and a definite improvement on Hereford's offering. I hadn't realised David Platt was a product of the legendary Crewe academy, and chuckled to read they had the chance of a sell-on fee when they sold him to Villa, but opted for a slightly higher transfer fee instead.

A quick journey across London on the tube, straight on a train back to Guildford and home by 8pm - quite a result being back 3 hours after the final whistle from a ground 200 miles away.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote: Midson and Green should also be applauded for the efforts. I'm interested to see what front 3 CW will go with for 'nam away now...
Green made an impact. But he was only on the pitch for 30 mins and by the end looked completely knackered. In the last couple fo minutes he gave the ball away when we should have been holding it up and had no energy to make a proper attempt to get it back.

Midson must start on Tuesday.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote: Midson and Green should also be applauded for the efforts. I'm interested to see what front 3 CW will go with for 'nam away now...
Green made an impact. But he was only on the pitch for 30 mins and by the end looked completely knackered. In the last couple fo minutes he gave the ball away when we should have been holding it up and had no energy to make a proper attempt to get it back.

Of course he did. We were down to 10 men and midson and tc dropped in to help the midfeild and stoneall their team. We resorted to hoofing it into the corners which Green then had to chase down every time for about 10 mins. Paula Radcliff would be knackered doing that!!
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Hog »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote:

Of course he did. We were down to 10 men and midson and tc dropped in to help the midfeild and stoneall their team. We resorted to hoofing it into the corners which Green then had to chase down every time for about 10 mins. Paula Radcliff would be knackered doing that!!
Well she is 37 and I'm guessing it's not really her kind of distance ...!
womble
Brat

Post by womble »

she would have been in the gutter :) :)
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotwomble&quot wrote:she would have been in the gutter :) :)
No, she would have pissed it.
Last edited by Baboo on Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:

Wasn't meaning to by hype critical.
just read this again and it reads that Midson should start ahead of Green. I think they both should start.
But the manager sees them all in training.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote: Green made an impact. But he was only on the pitch for 30 mins and by the end looked completely knackered. In the last couple fo minutes he gave the ball away when we should have been holding it up and had no energy to make a proper attempt to get it back.

Wasn't meaning to by hype critical.
just read this again and it reads that Midson should start ahead of Green. I think they both should start.
But the manager sees them all in training.
I hope you were careful about what you sent to the Oxford Mail today, says I, as your take on matters is always the first match report I read in terms of the non-internet post-match diagnosis. Hope you didn’t criticise Wilder for playing Craddock out of position, hope you didn’t bang on too much about the ref, hope you didn’t even suggest that playing just one up front won’t get Oxford United out of this League (like we did in the first half), hope you didn’t say that it was Them rather than Us who were doing the over-physical stuff - but if you do and The Fail step on yet another mine (like they did when they lost nearly all their TiU customers recently) then I’ll be the first in line to voice an opinion rather than accept Jon Murray’s two page spread as the gospel on the game, just like dozens of others behind me in the queue...

///

Anyway, it’s nice to be back home again at last (having stayed over the border last night) and on reflection I really liked Crewe. A big car park right next to the ground with PROPER exit routes, a wonderful view from the away end of a massive stand (Crewe have a quarter of their stadium at a Premiership standard) and a very away friendly clubhouse bar right next to their away ticket window that was selling Carlsberg on special offer for just £1.95 a pint. Wow, I even went back for a half just for the buzz of handing over only a pound coin for a beer. And the bogs inside the ground were akin to something you’d expect from an established League Club, unlike the toilets at Hereford last time around.