Midson

Anything yellow and blue
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Midson

Post by ty cobb »

Would be interested in people’s views on why Jack seem out of favour at the moment. I thought he had an excellent start to the season, getting 2 goals in the first 4 games despite being subbed in all but one of those games, and the game he did play for 90 minutes we scored 6 goals.

He was then dropped for Mitchell Cole and not brought on against West Ham, which must have been a kick in the teeth for a player who’d never played at that level of the game and since Craddock has come in hasn’t started again.

Then on Sat, when we were a goal down playing 4-4-2 (I think Midson would be best as one of the 2) missing countless chances but a defensive midfielder comes on instead. I wouldn’t have taken Beano off as at least he was getting chances but Craddock I thought wasn’t adding anything at all. It seems to me that Wilder has decided that Midson isn’t up to the task which I don’t think is justified.

Yes he’s struggled as a wide man of a front 3 at times but I thought looked a lot more composed and classy this season, I thought he was our best player against Bury yet was subbed.

Whilst Wilders plan B seems to bring Sam and Alfie on (both of whom flatter to deceive as part of a front 3), when he goes to plan C and goes 4-4-2 I just couldn’t understand why Midson was overlooked as on Sat. Whilst Craddock is meant to be very good, he seems to be on the team because of his transfer fee at the moment rather than because he’s forced his way into the team. As Wilder himself stated Craddock was no where near match fit when he joined us, so why stick him straight in the team at the expense of a player who had a good start to the season?
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

I thought Jack would be a possible weak link this season, but the way he started completely disproved that and, in fact, up to the West ham game I think he was one of our best players. As you say, he seems to have been ignored since then and the only conclusion is that CW doesn't fancy him.

Craddock was always going to start I think, and obviously Beano too, so unless Wilder replaces Green with Jack, I can't see him getting a sniff, given that Chris's default subs are Potter and Deering. Green needs to be dropped imo cos he is not doing anything, even though his pace does worry sometimes. Jack is great in the air and works incredibly hard, so I'd like to see him get a good run of games.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

While I generally agree with the sentiment in the opening post, I would say that we don't get to see anything that goes on in training or in the other interactions behind the scenes, so all we have to go on are the matches themselves, which might not necessarily be the best indicator of Wilder's methods or reasoning.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Midson's scoring record for us is 7 goals from 31 starts (plus 3 from 21 as sub). He's hardly set the world alight.

While I have some sympathy with a lot of what Ty says, it may just be that Wilder thinks the team he's got out at the moment are more likely to get him goals (and having seen Saturday's highlights on Yellow Player I think that's reasonable - how did we not score?). Also, if you change formation mid-game and go 4-4-2 with Midson on that means taking off 2 forwards to accomodate, which seems slightly perverse if you're trying to chase a game.

I'm sure Jack will get a run in the team if the goals dry up again, but we scored 6 in the 2 games before Saturday (including a strike of immense class from Craddock), so I don't think we need panic just yet.

Speaking of scoring goals, did anyone see Craig Davies' strikes for Chesterfield on The Football League Show? I still get so angry when I think about Talbot letting him, Bradbury and Hackett go in the middle of our relegation season. Who needs players of that calibre when you've got Chris Hargreaves? :roll:
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by OUFC4eva »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:Midson's scoring record for us is 7 goals from 31 starts (plus 3 from 21 as sub). He's hardly set the world alight.
Agree!
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

&quotJoeyBeauchamp&quot wrote:I thought Jack would be a possible weak link this season, but the way he started completely disproved that and, in fact, up to the West ham game I think he was one of our best players. As you say, he seems to have been ignored since then and the only conclusion is that CW doesn't fancy him.

Craddock was always going to start I think, and obviously Beano too, so unless Wilder replaces Green with Jack, I can't see him getting a sniff, given that Chris's default subs are Potter and Deering. Green needs to be dropped imo cos he is not doing anything, even though his pace does worry sometimes. Jack is great in the air and works incredibly hard, so I'd like to see him get a good run of games.
Exactly what I would have written.
scooter
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by scooter »

&quotboris&quot wrote:While I generally agree with the sentiment in the opening post, I would say that we don't get to see anything that goes on in training or in the other interactions behind the scenes, so all we have to go on are the matches themselves, which might not necessarily be the best indicator of Wilder's methods or reasoning.
Surely thats the whole idea, the match should be the culmination of the work done on the training ground.

I'd like to see Jack get a run in the team, Green just isn't cutting it at the moment and I reckon Beano would benefit from the change.
STEVE F
Brat

MIDSON

Post by STEVE F »

MIDSON IS FAR BETTER PLAYER THAN GREEN THIS IS ONE CHANGE WILDER NEEDS TO MAKE FOR NEXT GAME GREEN WILL MISS MORE TIMES THAN HE WILL SCORE HE NEEDS A RUN IN THE RESERVE TEAM.
MIDSON DESERVES A DECENT FIRST TEAM RUN OF FULL GAMES AS I THINK HE WILL SCORE MORE THAN GREEN .
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

my ears are ringing!
Andrewmaha
Brat

Post by Andrewmaha »

It's a fact. 23 out of 52 have been SHOUTED.
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

Loads of tinternet rumours that Midson has indeed flown to Loonton Town.

I can't see anything official anywhere though...
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

I hope not - I have a tennis lesson with him on Friday :D
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

I notice from the official site that he's not in this evening's reserves squad. That might be because he's being kept back for Saturday, or it might be because the official site has got it wrong (wouldn't be the first time), or it might be because he's on his way... 2||2=?
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

Midson is a better all round footballer than Green, but Green has always looked more likely to score. Given that he isn't currently putting them away and we have Craddock, in theory, to fulfil that role I think Midson would be a much better option. The only thing we would miss is Green's pace.