Educating my boss

Anything yellow and blue
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Educating my boss

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

My boss does the radio commentary for Stockport County and I am keen to give him a few key facts about the mighty Yellows that he can sprinkle into his commentary. Current stuff mainly rather than Milk Cup trivia - can anyone contribute some more to add to the list, many of which have been shamelessly nicked from here anyway?

James Constable will make his 99th appearance for the U's on Saturday against Stockport County and has scored 58 goals. In comparison, John Aldridge scored 90 goals in 138 games, mostly in the top two divisions. I think these are the only two who have a strike rate of better than one goal in two games while playing for a significant period.

Constable is nicknamed Beano because, apparently, he looks like Plug from the comic’s Bash Street Kids.

Jack Midson, who will probably start on the bench, is a fully-qualified tennis coach

Matt Green and James Constable went to school together and now live together (in a platonic sense)

Mark Creighton (likely to be on the bench but started against Hereford) is known as the Beast because, well you’ll see.

Simon Heslop , who joined from Barnsley on a three-year deal – the longest contract handed out for many a year - has scored three long range screamers this season, even though his midfield partner Asa Hall (0 goals so far) is reckoned to be the bigger goalscoring threat.

Oxford are by far the greatest team the world has ever seen
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re: Educating my boss

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotJoeyBeauchamp&quot wrote:Constable is nicknamed Beano because, apparently, he looks like Plug from the comic’s Bash Street Kids.
In which case his nickname would be &quotPlug&quot surely?

I'd heard that he was called Beano because, when younger, his short ginger hair and freckles made his head look like a baked bean.
deanwindass
Puberty

Re: Educating my boss

Post by deanwindass »

&quotJoeyBeauchamp&quot wrote:
Simon Heslop , who joined from Barnsley on a three-year deal – the longest contract handed out for many a year - has scored three long range screamers this season, even though his midfield partner Asa Hall (0 goals so far) is reckoned to be the bigger goalscoring threat.
I believe Beano, Clarke, Wright and Creighton, as well as Wilder and now Craddock, all signed 3 year contracts.
Last edited by deanwindass on Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

The oxkits website has the players' contract expiry dates
http&#58//www&#46oxkits&#46co&#46uk/
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

Fair enough, I'll get rid of the contract thing.

Any other quirky/interesting facts?
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

What Myles said, although giving an enemy commentator some disinformation isn't the end of the world.

Also, are you sure that Green and Beano went to school together? I know that they played for Cirencester Town Academy together, but I haven't seen anywhere that they were at school together too.

Other quirky facts you may wish to include (and which will almost certainly feature in the Rage Online preview of the game):
Stockport have never won in Oxford.

Stockport were the first team from Div 3 North that United played when they drew 0-0 at Edgeley Park in the FA Cup 3rd round in 1954, and the first team from Div 3 North that United beat, when they won the replay 1-0.

Over the years, the Us have beaten Stockers 1-0, 2-0, 3-0, 4-0 and 5-0.

Stockport legend Kevin Francis once went into the London Road end to lead the singing.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

Good stuff Boris, thanks. I'm sure I read the school things somewhere, but I might be wrong.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Brian Talbot was sacked after Utd lost 1-2 at Edgeley Park in March 2006
...or more to the point Jon Ashton ensured Talbot got fired after an appalling error of judgement in the penalty area in the last minute that fateful afternoon.

Ashton horribly and recklessly misjudged a tackle on Hatters striker Tesfaye Bramble as he bore down on goal and Talbot destroyed him for it.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Steve Wood also had a nightmare at Edgeley Park in 1996, when he was almost entirely responsible for a 4-2 defeat, which included a hat-trick by Andy Mutch, celebrated rather too gleefully in front of the travelling fans by the horrible little scummer.

I came out of the game ranting to anyone within earshot that I never wanted to see Wood in an Oxford shirt again. I got my wish, and we went on to win promotion.
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

Don't forget that Stockport's manager is Paul Simpson.......who not only played for my Beloved Yellows (with some distinction) but when he was Shrewsbury's manager, 'sold' Beano to us in the close season last year.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

Might not want to use this but Oxford United are the only team to have been led to the top flight and out of the league by the same manager!

Also Jim Smith has managed Oxford United in the top 5 divisions of English football - I can't think any other manager has ever done this.

Also I can confirm that Beano is called this because of the baked bean resemblance - I heard him explain this in an interview.
Sackcloth Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Sackcloth Ox »

&quotMally&quot wrote:Might not want to use this but Oxford United are the only team to have been led to the top flight and out of the league by the same manager!

Also Jim Smith has managed Oxford United in the top 5 divisions of English football - I can't think any other manager has ever done this.

Also I can confirm that Beano is called this because of the baked bean resemblance - I heard him explain this in an interview.
That's not right, when did Bald Eagle ever manage us in the First Division?
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Radley Rambler »

[quote=&quotOUFC4eva&quot]Brian Talbot was sacked after Utd lost 1-2 at Edgeley Park in March 2006
...or more to the point Jon Ashton ensured Talbot got fired after an appalling error of judgement in the penalty area in the last minute that fateful afternoon.

Ashton horribly and recklessly misjudged a tackle on Hatters striker Tesfaye Bramble as he bore down on goal and Talbot destroyed him for it.[/quote]

Quite - and let's not forget how many points Stockport finished ahead of us when we went out of the league..........I've blamed Ashton for a long time. Didn't he also play a terrible backpass in the same game to gift them their first?
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

He had one for me - Harry Worley still plays cricket for a league team in Warrington every summer.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotSackcloth Ox&quot wrote:
&quotMally&quot wrote:Might not want to use this but Oxford United are the only team to have been led to the top flight and out of the league by the same manager!

That's not right, when did Bald Eagle ever manage us in the First Division?
I know and realised that shortly after posting it. Sorry.