Site redesign

Thoughts on the Forum? Or the Rage Online web site? New sections. new layout, new editors? Post your ideas here
admin
Site Admin

Site redesign

Post by admin »

We're contemplating some sort of a site redesign (well, we've been contemplating it for ages, but we might actually get around to doing something about it soon) and so this thread is your opportunity to put forward ideas, suggestions, things you've been wanting to see, things you'd like to get shot of, etc). Obviously we won't guarantee to incorporate everything, or even anything, mooted here, but if you don't ask you (possibly) won't get.

For starters, one idea we're considering is the facility to post comments at the end of news items, like a real blog type thing.

Over to you...
Matthewjbutler
Brat

Post by Matthewjbutler »

Came in to say that posts after news items (and especially match reports) was the way forward so glad you have already considered this!

Perhaps two different forums - one for optimists and one for pessimists to sort the deluded from the miserable?!!
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotMatthewjbutler&quot wrote:Came in to say that posts after news items (and especially match reports) was the way forward so glad you have already considered this!

Perhaps two different forums - one for optimists and one for pessimists to sort the deluded from the miserable?!!
What aout the miserable deludeds?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

How about an automatic Duffy edit,to correct those who think he was the Messiah?
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotMatthewjbutler&quot wrote:Came in to say that posts after news items (and especially match reports) was the way forward so glad you have already considered this!

What aout the miserable deludeds?
Realists?
Sitting on the fenceists?
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

The site works fine as it is.

Having comments after news items and match reports will just spread the comments around and make it harder to see comments on one topic in one place.

I'd move the Hat into a separate section though, like the Boot.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

A button to do a hyperlink so that you type the display text in the first box, and paste the url in the second box. Like the &quotinsert email&quot button at the other place.

On the &quotwhere are they now&quot, a news feed to say who has been updated and when. Or a link to the source of the update next to the player (although these links may well break down in time).

On the news and match reports, the contributor. I don't know if these are all written by Boris, or if there is a team of Rageonline writers.

In match details in the fixture list, the manager, the opponent's players, substitutions, cards, goal scorers. (I was trying to establish the last time that Jamie Cook lost a game at the home of Oxford United, whether playing for Oxford or the opposition. I think it is a long way back). [/url]
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotBoogie&quot wrote:If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Having comments after news items and match reports will just spread the comments around and make it harder to see comments on one topic in one place.

I pretty much agree with this. The site works really well as it is and is one of my favourite sites to visit.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by theox »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotBoogie&quot wrote:If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I pretty much agree with this. The site works really well as it is and is one of my favourite sites to visit.
Agreed.
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotslappy&quot wrote: On the news and match reports, the contributor. I don't know if these are all written by Boris, or if there is a team of Rageonline writers.
Just me (unless otherwise stated). But always looking for volunteers...
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotboris&quot wrote:
&quotslappy&quot wrote: On the news and match reports, the contributor. I don't know if these are all written by Boris, or if there is a team of Rageonline writers.
Just me (unless otherwise stated). But always looking for volunteers...
….which makes this website a personal testimony to our current club historian and his many casual helpers.

////

Moving on, it costs real dosh for the ISP maintenance as well as Martin’s free time to keep it all going, which got me thinking. Given that we’ve had over a million hits “since time began
STEVE F
Brat

changes to rageon

Post by STEVE F »

i see no reason to change anything about rageon as it works ok as it is rather stupid action on part of admin changes not wanted or needed unless admin intent is to mess up rageon site
am not happy with this admin action and am sure most users will agree with my opinion
scooter
Dashing young thing

Post by scooter »

It's a great site and any changes should be limited so the basic structure is the same.

I wouldn't be averse to some limited commercial activity if it ensured the future of the site.
Long John Silver
Brat

Re:

Post by Long John Silver »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:A button to do a hyperlink so that you type the display text in the first box, and paste the url in the second box. Like the &quotinsert email&quot button at the other place.

On the &quotwhere are they now&quot, a news feed to say who has been updated and when. Or a link to the source of the update next to the player (although these links may well break down in time).

On the news and match reports, the contributor. I don't know if these are all written by Boris, or if there is a team of Rageonline writers.

In match details in the fixture list, the manager, the opponent's players, substitutions, cards, goal scorers. (I was trying to establish the last time that Jamie Cook lost a game at the home of Oxford United, whether playing for Oxford or the opposition. I think it is a long way back). [/url]
Goal scorers, non-playing subs, and squad numbers in place of 1-11 please :D
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

This may be a tricky one for boris.

On the plus side the site is very clean from advertisements other than activemedia but I don’t see why we can’t sacrifice a small part of the website to companies like Bridle Insurance, Buildbase, Jack FM or even the bloke who promises a “life without debt