Anything yellow and blue
boris
Grumpy old git

Graham Westley

Post by boris »

Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Harsh! What would you expect him to say?
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

He's probably right that we won't win all our games until the end of the season, so in that sense it is their hands.

On the other hand, I doubt that they will be winning at Wrexham tonight.

Bit of an exageration at the end regarding the number of fans coming through the Oxford and Luton turnstiles.
deanwindass
Puberty

Post by deanwindass »

I totally agree with Boris.

Erm, no it's not Westley you prick, we're six points ahead of you so even if you win all your remaining games (which you won't) you're not guaranteed to win the league...so it's not in your hands.

Westley really pissed me off with his reaction to our win at home earlier in the season. He was going on and on about how our first goal was offside and how his defenders are honest players and so that means that if they say it was offside, it was offside. It was very clearly onside, as was clear at the time and from the highlights.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Of course the odds are against him and Stevenage at the moment but you can hardly expect him to say &quotwe're six points behind and the games are running out so we might aswell give up and concentrate on the Trophy now&quot.

It is quite possible that he is a wanker in general but the content of the article we're discussing is not unreasonable (other than the misleading crowd figures he quoted).
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I reckon we could probably dig around and find a similar interview from Wilder towards the end of last season (in terms of chances of reaching the play-offs).
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

To be (grudgingly) fair to the wanker, I misread this bit:
One team will step up to the plate and will win more points than anyone else and will go on and be champions.
as &quotOur team...&quot so perhaps it was a little harsh.

He's still a wanker though.
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

If behaviour in the technical area is a guide to how much of a wanker you are, then Westley is indeed a gold-plated wanker.

But I agree with Hog - he can't concede yet.

I have this dream that he will do that around 10pm on March 30.
deanwindass
Puberty

Re:

Post by deanwindass »

&quotHog&quot wrote:Of course the odds are against him and Stevenage at the moment but you can hardly expect him to say &quotwe're six points behind and the games are running out so we might aswell give up and concentrate on the Trophy now&quot.

It is quite possible that he is a wanker in general but the content of the article we're discussing is not unreasonable (other than the misleading crowd figures he quoted).
No, but the 'it is in our hands' comment is wrong. It would have been perfectly acceptable and standard for him to say we've got a good chance if we perform consistently well or win x number of games.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

Second only to Steve Evans in the idiot stakes.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Hog »

&quotboris&quot wrote:To be (grudgingly) fair to the wanker, I misread this bit:
One team will step up to the plate and will win more points than anyone else and will go on and be champions.
as &quotOur team...&quot so perhaps it was a little harsh.

He's still a wanker though.
I bet you don't put that bit on your CV!
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

Factually I would imagine he is a &quotwanker&quot No court of law would not agree.
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

Although I'd rather not imagine it.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re: Graham Westley

Post by Snake »

&quotboris&quot wrote:What a wanker.
Indeed, like most men, but also quite possibly could have been our manager and equally possibly may be our next manager.
John Byrne's Underpants
Puberty

Post by John Byrne's Underpants »

No problem with him still bigging up their chances. If we were in a similar situation I'd expect Wilder to say something not too different. His implication that we and Luton are big clubs annoy me a bit though. Can't vouch for Luton but I think we hardly get anywhere close to 7,000 in terms of crowd usually. Plus being a bigger club undoubtedly means a bigger debt.