I'm too depressed for jokes.
The OXman Cometh
Brat

Post by The OXman Cometh »

Might just sneak in at this rate.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

We can't finish below Grays and Chester - one more point and we can add Ebbsfleet to that list 6 points and we're above Forest Green too.

So with two more wins we can definitely avoid relegation, barring a Brianlee.

I'm just struggling to see where two wins are going to come from.
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

The way we lost yesterday could have a massive effect on the team.

I've not felt this dejected for a standard league defeat for a very very long time.

If we fail to beat Histon and the crowd turns on the team.....then it's all over.

Getting out of this league is all about positive mental attitude. I worry that the general attitude of fellow Oxford fans (and me) this morning is that we've fugged it up for another year. Wilder and the team need to knuckle down. Saturday is massive.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotSwissbloke&quot wrote:The way we lost yesterday could have a massive effect on the team.
Either way, of course. There's no hiding behind excuses for last night, so it could be the kick up the arse that they need.

Being an Oxford fan, though, I'm not very hopeful.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mooro »

&quotSwissbloke&quot wrote: If we fail to beat Histon and the crowd turns on the team.....then it's all over.

..and we've made it doubly difficult for ourselves with this whole Boxing Fay II thing, in that there will be more expectation amougst the 'occaisionals' and who may be quicker to turn on the playrers.
You only have to look at Mansfield last week to see how these things can backfire bigtime...
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotSwissbloke&quot wrote:The way we lost yesterday could have a massive effect on the team.

I've not felt this dejected for a standard league defeat for a very very long time.

If we fail to beat Histon and the crowd turns on the team.....then it's all over.

Getting out of this league is all about positive mental attitude. I worry that the general attitude of fellow Oxford fans (and me) this morning is that we've fugged it up for another year. Wilder and the team need to knuckle down. Saturday is massive.

Absolute rubbish.
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

Care to elaborate?
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

I think Swiss is spot on.

The manner of last night's defeat was made all the worse because of this club's recent history for bottling.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Whilst we are waiting for the elaboration may I step in.
We &quotfugged it up&quot yesterday.
We have not yet &quotfugged the season up&quot but we are getting closer to doing so than is comfortable.
Saturday is massive IMHO.
Histon should be a team we can beat - small crowds (down to under 400 home fans v York), manager gone, chairman gone from when they were sort of successful. Destined to go back from where they came?
But they're unbeaten in the last three and that includes the draw v York. So yes - massive. If we can't win this one do we deserve success? And - Wimbledon will be bigger and harder. Are we up to it? Let's hope so or else it could get very messy.
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:If we can't win this one do we deserve success?
In football you get what you deserve, so if we achieve success, whether or not we beat Histon, we'll have deserved it. If we're not successful it's because we won't have deserved to be, regardless of next Saturday.
Brahma Bull
Puberty

Re:

Post by Brahma Bull »

&quottheox&quot wrote:I think Swiss is spot on.

The manner of last night's defeat was made all the worse because of this club's recent history for bottling.
I disagree.

The manner of last night defeat of course hurt every Oxford fan in attendance and the thousands at home. However, in the cold light of day, it had been a professional performance which ended, as games do from time to time, in a freak manner. That happens.

People can claim it is bottling but even the average recent performances are littered with chances and plenty of hard luck. Tamworth we had chances to win, Kidderminster we had good chances to win and last night, we should have held on. It that is our 'blip' then it is actually not that bad.

The only people bottling it, is people who are giving up already. Pockets of fans who would rather side on the view that they 'expect' us to fail and that they can then sit smuggly in May and feel better about themselves.

As for the RO report, I was quite surprised. Even this site refers to it http://oxblogger.blogspot.com/2010/02/l ... ows-1.html and the similarities are completely different to that of a few years back.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotBrahma Bull&quot wrote:
&quottheox&quot wrote:I think Swiss is spot on.

I disagree.

The manner of last night defeat of course hurt every Oxford fan in attendance and the thousands at home. However, in the cold light of day, it had been a professional performance which ended, as games do from time to time, in a freak manner. That happens.

People can claim it is bottling but even the average recent performances are littered with chances and plenty of hard luck. Tamworth we had chances to win, Kidderminster we had good chances to win and last night, we should have held on. It that is our 'blip' then it is actually not that bad.

The only people bottling it, is people who are giving up already. Pockets of fans who would rather side on the view that they 'expect' us to fail and that they can then sit smuggly in May and feel better about themselves.

As for the RO report, I was quite surprised. Even this site refers to it http://oxblogger.blogspot.com/2010/02/l ... ows-1.html and the similarities are completely different to that of a few years back.

Good post, I do hope our supporters get behind the side on Saturday instead of 'waiting' for something to happen like many did last weekend.

Our support may generate the extra few points we need to get over the line.

Additionally, to say a cock up on Saturday will kill our season is LUDICROUS incidentally.

I mean there will only be over a third of the season left after all.

:roll:
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

a guilty pessimist writes:

i can't help but feel that the oxford streak of fatalism is in real danger of undermining what we've achieved so far this season. it seemed to have been getting to wilder, too, and distracting him. having read some of his comments made after last night's game, i hope he's now starting to shake free of this, as i really feel he has to insulate the team from what's going on around them and get them focused on winning games again. otherwise i fear we're in danger of becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy.

the reality is that we're three points off top with two games in hand. winning the league is still eminently achieveable.

if i could see one thing from now until the end of the season, how about a a bit of the esprit de la fin de la saison derniere? we have nervy terraces at the moment.

as for last night: we were away at a tough ground. we put in a professional away performance, nicked a goal as you'd hope, and should have got a draw from it, but for some dopey set piece defending. it's a different issue from what we've talked about at home games. york must have had similar feelings about the opening game of the season, and stevenage must have started to wonder what they were up against the night we played crawley. it's how the club reacts.

has wilder got a lot of work to do? clearly. can he do it? he's worked effing miracles before, so of course he can, but it would help if we try and give him the most favourable conditions to do it in.