Extending the season

Anything yellow and blue
The OXman Cometh
Brat

Extending the season

Post by The OXman Cometh »

With all this 'terrible' weather causing so many postponements to the football, at which point do the powers that be at conference HQ start thinking about extending the season beyond April 24?
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Probably on or soon after the 25th.
OUFC_Gav
Toddler

Re: Extending the season

Post by OUFC_Gav »

&quotThe OXman Cometh&quot wrote:With all this 'terrible' weather causing so many postponements to the football, at which point do the powers that be at conference HQ start thinking about extending the season beyond April 24?
I would imagine they would do everything to avoid it as it would mean they would lose their Wembley play-off slot (the reason it ends in April now).
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

I'm afraid I don't associate the Executive of the BSP with creative &amp helpful thinking let alone forward planning.
STEVE F
Brat

longer season

Post by STEVE F »

no need to make season longer
all going ok for oufc thus far
think wilder will bring in decent players and knows what he is doing
has done super job so far
credit also to kt who has backed manager all the way
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re: longer season

Post by Snake »

&quotSTEVE F&quot wrote:no need to make season longer
all going ok for oufc thus far
think wilder will bring in decent players and knows what he is doing
has done super job so far
credit also to kt who has backed manager all the way
Fab post, Steve. No SHOUTING at all.
Red Ray
Sperm

Post by Red Ray »

There is no way they will extend the season - could start a little earlier though?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

From the Conference Forum.

Blue Square reports that &quotDennis Strudwick, general manager of the league's governing body, says they currently have no plans to extend the current campaign beyond April 24.

A number of managers in the Blue Square Premier have already voiced their concerns over an ever-growing list of postponed fixtures...

However, Strudwick was keen to point out that it would near impossible to change the season's scheduled finish. He told The Press: 'We don't have a crystal ball to see what the weather will be like in the future but I don't think a season has been extended for many years - certainly not in my working career - and it's not on the agenda yet. April 24 is the final day and, for one thing, it would not comply with players' contracts to end the season beyond that date. You also couldn't change it for some clubs and not others who manage to finish in time. That date is what we work to in order to get the play-offs in by the third week of May.

You don't start a marathon and then ask the runners to do more than 26 miles and 385 yards. That's where the finishing line is and every effort will be made to stick to the season as it stands'&quot.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

He's doubtless right about the marathon. Trouble is, it's a totally false analogy. How about - you go to the theatre but the play is held up by a power cut. Do you extend the opening time of the theatre, or do the actors have to cram the rest of the play into the same amount of time so the venue can be vacated at the usual closing time?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotboris&quot wrote:He's doubtless right about the marathon. Trouble is, it's a totally false analogy. How about - you go to the theatre but the play is held up by a power cut. Do you extend the opening time of the theatre, or do the actors have to cram the rest of the play into the same amount of time so the venue can be vacated at the usual closing time?
He’s got a valid point, imho.

If we do get to the FAT semi-finals then I can’t imagine Us not having a week this season when we play games on a Saturday, Tuesday, Thursday, and then the following Saturday.

The Conference authorities insisted that Canvey Island did that (and much, much more) not so long ago when they had problems with a fixture congestion.

And at the risk of repeating myself, it’s fortunate we don’t have the Setanta Shield this season, so CW needs to get his priorities right because I’d rather not go to Wembley this season at all either in the FAT Final or (worse) the lottery of the Division V play-off final.

If there is a price to pay for getting away from Brian Lee’s poxy non-League Division then a “nice day out at Wembley