Wigan

Anything yellow and blue
Snake
Grumpy old git

Wigan

Post by Snake »

I had a quick look on the internet and unlike the updates we get from Chris Williams within seconds of the referee blowing the final whistle in a Division V game I can’t easily find an official report yet from the DW Stadium confirming how many of today’s pathetic FA Cup attendance were from Hull.

///

Given the Franchise opportunities available it gives me the impression that you can move Super League Rugby teams around the country on a whim (or even abroad to places like Wrexham) so why hasn’t Ian considered moving his Warriors to Oxford?
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

How do you know he has not considered it?
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

durr. IL is waiting for FK to drop the price on the Kasstad before moving Wigan RL down to Oxford.

(Also I hope IL didn't get duped into taking that van load of burgers and pies up to the expected huge Wigan-Hull crowd as a favour to his landlords up there/down here)
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Wigan Warriors averaged about 13,400 at home last season. I'm a bit surprised at that as the propoganda was that they were better supported than WAFC. Don't know what the average away gate is for the football games, mind.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:durr. IL is waiting for FK to drop the price on the Kasstad before moving Wigan RL down to Oxford.

(Also I hope IL didn't get duped into taking that van load of burgers and pies up to the expected huge Wigan-Hull crowd as a favour to his landlords up there/down here)
As reported at a recent OxVox meeting, IL isn’t in a position yet to offer a reduced price anywhere near £13m.

As for the pies, then people may well find them served unwrapped by the time we play Cambridge at home.

i.e. abandoned catering for 10,000 on Boxing Day minus 2000 for the FAT minus 5000 for Tamworth still leaves enough left to feed 3000 on the 26th January.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotslappy&quot wrote:durr. IL is waiting for FK to drop the price on the Kasstad before moving Wigan RL down to Oxford.

As reported at a recent OxVox meeting, IL isn’t in a position yet to offer a reduced price anywhere near £13m.

As for the pies, then people may well find them served unwrapped by the time we play Cambridge at home.

i.e. abandoned catering for 10,000 on Boxing Day minus 2000 for the FAT minus 5000 for Tamworth still leaves enough left to feed 3000 on the 26th January.
Edit - or have we got H&ampY before Cambridge? The official site says not.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Seriously though, I don't think IL would even dare suggest moving Wigan RL outside of Wigan. I also expect they are tied up to a similar long term rent to Wigan Football Co (their StadCo) and so &quotcan't&quot move. I don't think there is a sustainable market for a professional rugby league team in Oxfordshire as it is mainly a Northern sport with Harlequins RL the only Southern side in super league. FK tried buying Henley on the union code, but was thwarted.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:Seriously though, I don't think IL would even dare suggest moving Wigan RL outside of Wigan. I also expect they are tied up to a similar long term rent to Wigan Football Co (their StadCo) and so &quotcan't&quot move. I don't think there is a sustainable market for a professional rugby league team in Oxfordshire as it is mainly a Northern sport with Harlequins RL the only Southern side in super league. FK tried buying Henley on the union code, but was thwarted.
If Oxford could ever find a way of getting a professional rugby union side (whether through franchise/relocation or by pumping money into Henley/Oxford Harlequines/Chinnor) I'm sure it would do very well. If you map the premiership rugby union sides locations Oxford is slap bang in the middle of egg chasing heartland. e.g. Wycombe, Reading, Bath, Gloucester, Worcester, Northampton, Watford, Twickenham.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

If either money had been pumped into Oxford Harlequins when the KasStad was completed or a new Oxford Rugby Union Club had been formed at the time, that would have resulted in a club of at least equal stature as Henley by now.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Given the way Henley are heading down the leagues, they'll be below Chinnor (or is that Chinnnnnnnnnnerrrrrrrrrr) soon.
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotMally&quot wrote: If Oxford could ever find a way of getting a professional rugby union side (whether through franchise/relocation or by pumping money into Henley/Oxford Harlequines/Chinnor) I'm sure it would do very well. If you map the premiership rugby union sides locations Oxford is slap bang in the middle of egg chasing heartland. e.g. Wycombe, Reading, Bath, Gloucester, Worcester, Northampton, Watford, Twickenham.
You say this like it's a good thing. Do we really want these rugger types infesting our stadium and mucking up the pitch?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:Chinnnnnnnnnnerrrrrrrrrr.
Interestingly (or not, but hey, there is little else to talk about) I was passing over the Severn Bridge a few weeks back and turned on my car radio to 95.2 FM. This frequency also serves BBC Radio Cornwall and there was that commentator (I’ve forgotten his name) doing his Rugby stuff from down there.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:Chinnnnnnnnnnerrrrrrrrrr.
Interestingly (or not, but hey, there is little else to talk about) I was passing over the Severn Bridge a few weeks back and turned on my car radio to 95.2 FM. This frequency also serves BBC Radio Cornwall and there was that commentator (I’ve forgotten his name) doing his Rugby stuff from down there.
Peter Richmond. Claatted creammmm
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Matt D »

&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:Given the way Henley are heading down the leagues, they'll be below Chinnor (or is that Chinnnnnnnnnnerrrrrrrrrr) soon.
i'm all in favour of chinnor doing well, as my dentist is a supporter. going to the dentist is bad enough at the best of times, but when chinnor have just suffered another of their sporadic relegations after a season...
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotboris&quot wrote:
&quotMally&quot wrote: If Oxford could ever find a way of getting a professional rugby union side (whether through franchise/relocation or by pumping money into Henley/Oxford Harlequines/Chinnor) I'm sure it would do very well. If you map the premiership rugby union sides locations Oxford is slap bang in the middle of egg chasing heartland. e.g. Wycombe, Reading, Bath, Gloucester, Worcester, Northampton, Watford, Twickenham.
You say this like it's a good thing. Do we really want these rugger types infesting our stadium and mucking up the pitch?
Mucking up the pitch would be a big downside to a rugby share but if a deal could be done with a rugby club (by the football club) that meant purchase of the stadium/conference centre was possible it would be a price worth paying.