Anything yellow and blue
Hog
Grumpy old git

Questions, Questions

Post by Hog »

I'm pleased to see the club have made some enquiries about the whole fiasco

http://www.oufc.co.uk/page/News/0,,1034 ... 19,00.html

Personally, I think the most important questions of all would be

1. Can the League assure the clubs and the supporters that, since having discovered some errors through random checks, the registration of every player in every game of every club has now been thoroughly checked?

2. If not, why not?

3. What other errors have been uncovered and what is being done about them?
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

I think those are somewhere within the &quotIf random checks were performed .........&quot question.

The club obviously don't want to be seen as pushing for the deduction of points from other clubs, when they are implying that the application and failure of an inappropriate process should not result in points deductions.

When you get caught for speeding, via a random check, many others will get away with it as they weren't the ones to get caught.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by Isaac »

&quotneilw&quot wrote:
When you get caught for speeding, via a random check, many others will get away with it as they weren't the ones to get caught.
Not really a valid comparison, the league (should) know who all the registered players are, the police are not aware of the speed of all cars on the road.

I think the club are correct to ask more questions, I assumed the conference had done a full audit of player registrations. Any half decent organisation would (any decent one would do it from the start). Who's to say Burton incorrectly registered someone in August who played half the season? The conference don't, and they don't want to find out for fear of the consequences.
I can't see us getting points back, but they should be treating all clubs in the same way, or just admit they're incompetent idiots (there's some vitriol for mr lee).
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Just to repeat a point I made earlier, if the conference changed the system so that all registration numbers have to be on the team sheet then any other clubs with unregistered players would have had to apply for a number ... unless they had been transferred (in which case it would have come to light then) or been consigned to unregistered limbo, so they are likely to know of any other cases ...
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:Just to repeat a point I made earlier, if the conference changed the system so that all registration numbers have to be on the team sheet then any other clubs with unregistered players would have had to apply for a number ... unless they had been transferred (in which case it would have come to light then) or been consigned to unregistered limbo, so they are likely to know of any other cases ...
And who is to say that they did not have to do so after the event and both they and the Conference have kept quiet about it?
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Ancient Colin »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote: And who is to say that they did not have to do so after the event and both they and the Conference have kept quiet about it?
If that were the case, then the Conference aren't just keeping quiet, they are lying, given their statement about the rectitude of all the other clubs ...
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by theox »

&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote: And who is to say that they did not have to do so after the event and both they and the Conference have kept quiet about it?
If that were the case, then the Conference aren't just keeping quiet, they are lying, given their statement about the rectitude of all the other clubs ...
and it will also be impossible to prove otherwise so constantly asking for a 'review' of all registrations is pointless as all players are now registered (even if they weren't before) and the Conference and the club involved are not going to admit any discrepancies which were found (if any).
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

If their registration system is half decent it will include the date of registration, which would make a review far from pointless.
John Byrne's Underpants
Puberty

Re:

Post by John Byrne's Underpants »

&quottheox&quot wrote:
&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:
and it will also be impossible to prove otherwise so constantly asking for a 'review' of all registrations is pointless as all players are now registered (even if they weren't before) and the Conference and the club involved are not going to admit any discrepancies which were found (if any).
Agree to a point. They aren't going to 'fess up now are they? Could you imagine the outcry if it turns out clubs such as Torquay or Stevenage had fielded unregistered players for a time (not at all suggesting they did, just using them as examples).

Personally, I don't think a serious review was ever carried out, and any audit of registrations? No chance.