Histon v Leeds LIVE on ITV

Anything yellow and blue
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Histon v Leeds LIVE on ITV

Post by recordmeister »

Wow. You can't see what is going on due to the rain on the camera. Has the credit crunch hit so bad that camera's can't be wiped clean any longer?
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Absolutely pathetic wasn't it? The patronising commentary was pretty nauseating but the rain spattered camera lens was insulting. Call themselves professionals? They're the Leeds United of football broadcasting!
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

The cliché about conditions being a good leveller has never been as true as in that game – must have been a touch of pressure on the ref to not abandon it.

Anyway, I enjoyed that game and it was a good way of passing time on a wet Sunday afternoon, though I think Setanta do a better job than ITV.

The cup draw afterwards would have been presented better if Ray Clements had waited until Jim Rosenthal had finished his Motty like stato commentary after every ball, or had they all shut up and just drawn the balls out without any additional chatter like they used to do in them good old days..
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:I think Setanta do a better job than ITV.
Bloody hell - Leeds rapid decline / Histon's rapid rise / Snakes (Not this Snake) and Ladders. Get your own original material.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

I'm told the commentator managed to come out with &quotHiston - history - hysteria&quot at the end.

A chap on another board reckons his mum then said &quothysterectomy&quot.
entirely disenchanted
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

this is brilliant, but you have to have the sound up:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vwwywcM_sdQ
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

Incidentally they're still a village as far as us losing 5-2 to them is concerned.
entirely disenchanted
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Ascension Ox »

Forget the tedious commentary ITV cliches, all so predictable. You can always turn the sound down after all.

Histon did a real number on their opponents. FULL commitment and well thought out tactics can get you a long long way. I reckon they will get promoted as well.

OUFC's players are man for man more talented than Histon's . We don't play with cojones though. We bottle out of challenges away from home, we don't chase after lost causes, we really don't care enough in our tackling.

It is that simple. The new manager must instill these basics. if he does, we will climb the table rapidly. I don't believe the likes of Haldane can actually be taught to play like this though.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

I don't want Haldane to play like this. I want our central midfielders, a striker and 3 of our 4 defenders to be able to get stuck in.

I do not want a team full of cloggers though - Haldane seems to be the new boo boy because he doesn't get stuck in.

Joey never got stuck in either - more skillfull players generally don't, there is always a trade off.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:I don't want Haldane to play like this. I want our central midfielders, a striker and 3 of our 4 defenders to be able to get stuck in.

I do not want a team full of cloggers though - Haldane seems to be the new boo boy because he doesn't get stuck in.

Joey never got stuck in either - more skillfull players generally don't, there is always a trade off.
Joey wasn't playing in the Conference though, was he? Look at all the teams that have been promoted in recent years from BSP. No room for luxury players in re Aldershot, Exeter, D and R etc.

Which is what Haldane is. He's not even very 'skilful' come to think of it.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Haldane is a luxury because he hardly ever does anything. If he was bombing down the wing and delivering good crosses the whole time no one would care that he didn't get 'stuck in'.

When we played Histon last season i thought they were a good and pretty entertaining team, though they got the ball forward quickly. It's just not the way I'd want us to play.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Thinking about it, patronising commentary isn't the sole preserve of ITV, the Radox team dish it up regularly at away games, particularly when describing the grounds or the facilities they are broadcasting from. They couldn't get any digs in on Saturday (probably because Turkey is a big club with a FL history but then they didn't need to because in his pre-match ramblings and the FA Trophy draw Twerp Harris managed to refer to Sunbury not once but TWICE!
SteMerritt
Puberty

Re:

Post by SteMerritt »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:OUFC's players are man for man more talented than Histon's.
Really? I can point you in the direction of a table that shows otherwise. Do you honestly think that the Histon management would change many of their team for our players?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Just imagine how much better that Histon team could be if they trained more than three evenings a week, or didnÔÇÖt have to do a dayÔÇÖs work before playing an evening game.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I can't believe the state of that Histon pitch from one week to the next. At the end of that Leeds game there were 2 players who both slipped up running for the ball.

As for the rain on the main tv camera, surely someone could have dried it off.