Is it time?

Anything yellow and blue

Has Patto been given enough time as Manager?

Yes, sack him, he'll never make us into title winners
46%
No, for feck's sake, it's only 3 months into his first full season
54%

Total votes: 24

GodalmingYellow
Senile

Is it time?

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I wonder how many now think that Patto has now been given enough time in the job?
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

It will be interesting to see if anyone manages to put a positive spin on this result.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Judging by Luke Foster's reaction, he hasn't lost the dressing room. Give him til Xmas at least.

If we'd sacked Denis Smith (like I was suggesting at the time) after a crap start to the season in 96 we may not have gone up. Remember the Wycombe 4-1 defeat anyone?

It's only his first season. It's a tough time for everyone at the club. He deserves a bit longer.
newhinkseyyellow
Toddler

Post by newhinkseyyellow »

Patto should be given four more weeks to try and turn it around. It is always a gamble to change Manager with no guarantee of improved results. Oxford fans should understand this more than most with the 'revolving door' policy we have adopted over the past ten years. The legacy of the Kassam years will not be erased for a very long time.

Realistically, unless there is a dramatic turnaround, our only aim is to avoid relegation this season, and look forward to better times next year. Sounds familiar!
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

The general consensus seems to be that the players are quite good, but they aren't playing to the best of their ability.

This would suggest either the players not being played in a position they can be 100% in. Or there is a lack of motivation.

Whichever, both of these are the responsibility of the manager.

Leaving the game last week at Grays, I thought Patto wasn't up to the job. My thoughts have been cemented this week.

However, the managers position at the club should only be made vacant once there is a replacement lined up. Otherwise you are really shooting yourself in the foot.
Last edited by recordmeister on Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
YellowHoods
Brat

Re:

Post by YellowHoods »

&quotnewhinkseyyellow&quot wrote:It is always a gamble to change Manager with no guarantee of improved results.
So, following that logic, as there can never be a guarantee of improved results every change of manager is a gamble? No sh*t Sherlock.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

I am concerned that we will end up in a relagation fight if we keep Patterson.

The players are mainly his and I think that he has probably spent too much on a small number of players who are not performing- tying his hands in relation to now making us very short in certain areas.

The away results have been quite awful and the tactics and personnel changes at times are baffling.

The worst thing to me is that in a year I can't see any progress having been made. The only excpetion is that Patterson seems to tried to blend in some of the yougsters when he has had a chance (Clarkle and Deering have been positive although he now seems to be using Day over Clarke for some reason).

A very honest and decent man from what I can see, but I believe that he is out of his depth.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Patterson should be relieved of his duties first thing tomorrow morning.

I keep saying to myself after virtually every game: Just what do they work on in training?

We just are unable to pass the ball accurately and we have no pattern of play. He has to go NOW because a relegation battle is looming and he simply is not up to it.

Bring John Ward in as a consultant, then appoint him when he has sorted out the legal side of his sacking by Carlisle. Ward is a first class coach and manager and can work with a small squad on a shoestring budget.

The opportunity to bring in a first class manager like Ward does not come round that often.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

pass.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Two more games for me. Mess those two up and the season's almost over before Christmas (again).
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

There are a number of reasonable and well-argued posts on this topic.

I think he should go.

He has recruited a number of players, some from league clubs who are - on paper at least - good enough to have us challenging for promotion. But they are simply not doing it. Tactically I believe he is quite weak - why persevere with Willmott who no longer has pace, and leave James Clarke on the bench ?

Patterson has resources - in terms of a dedicated training ground, stadium and support that the likes of Histon can only dream about. He has been relatively fortunate with injuries to key squad members where he has got off quite lightly.

He talks a good game, but is not delivering and I don't see any signs that he will be able to do that.

I am not looking for a change of manager to achieve promotion, but to save us from relegation.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:Judging by Luke Foster's reaction, he hasn't lost the dressing room. Give him til Xmas at least.
But has he lost the travelling fans??
keyboard warrior
Baby

Post by keyboard warrior »

I would like to see him given the whole season. I still think he is suffering from Jim's bad management. With Hutchinson and Wilmott removed, we will start to release funds. I, personally, would make this Spilly Billy's last season, too. We should be able to get 5 players in from what we will save on these three.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:Judging by Luke Foster's reaction, he hasn't lost the dressing room. Give him til Xmas at least.
But has he lost the travelling fans??
The statistics for away attendees are only recorded in most of CW’s match reports but we don’t have a ‘one click’ summary of them over the last couple of years so I can’t really be 100% sure of any trends. However, we do seem to be down to the bare bones now in terms of the numbers of extremely loyal fans who continue to travel to watch Us away week after week. Having said that I still reckon we’d take 2,000 fans to Supermarine if we got that dream tie in the Trophy tomorrow…

The home crowd on Tuesday night will be interesting but it’s even more difficult to know the real numbers, as we always start with 2,700|| counted through the gate at every game at Minchery as they are ST holders (including the free kiddie STs who surely don’t come all that often). The actual numbers who attend are recorded for Health &amp Safety reasons and only people who run the club have access to those.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I'm not screaming for his head yet, but I've been unimpressed with him as a manager since he started. He's had a year, and both results and performances have been woeful except for a short spell when there was absolutely nothing to play for.

If we have someone reasonable lined up to take over, then I'd be quite happy to see him go now. If we don't, then I don't really see the point. We're not going up, which means as a club we're pretty fucked anyway.