Strange things ...

Anything yellow and blue
Hog
Grumpy old git

Strange things ...

Post by Hog »

... you have seen or done at the football (in a TiU stylee, but bear with me, I'm bored!).

Can't remember the year or the opponents but during one of the last seasons at The Manor three oriental chaps came and sat down in the top left corner of the London Road halfway through the second half and unpacked and consumed a chinese takeaway meal before walking out again! I'd never seen them before, nor again since! Baffling!
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

OK, I'll go next
Two or three foreign students mistakenly got on a football special train many years ago (obviously) at Oxford station. After much confusion and explanation we thought the message had got through to them that it wasn’t the 10:19 to Paddington or whatever and that they would have to wait until we got to wherever Oxford were playing or stopped at a station en route before they could get off. As tends to happen on British Rail (and it was British Rail back then) the train stopped between stations where upon the students opened the train door (you could do that in those days) jumped out and went tumbling down the banking never to be seen again.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

One of the funniest things I ever saw at a football ground was in the mid '70s (before I'd seen the true way and the light) in the Shed End at Chelsea. A young kid aged about 8 was standing there with his dad holding a balloon on a string, completely oblivious to the fact that it his &quotballoon&quot had been manufactured by a company called Durex.
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

In the late 60's I was at a game with my dad. We were sitting in the old Dressing Room Stand. There was on old lady sitting next to us doing her knitting. She seemed a pleasant enough old girl. The Oxford players ran out from underneath us and she put down her knitting to applaud politely. Then the opposition players ran out and she shot to her feet and gave the vilest abuse possible to each and every one of them. Once they had made their way on to the pitch she resumed her seat and continued knitting. I was gobsmacked.
boris
Grumpy old git

Re: Strange things ...

Post by boris »

&quotHog&quot wrote: Can't remember the year or the opponents but during one of the last seasons at The Manor three oriental chaps came and sat down in the top left corner of the London Road halfway through the second half and unpacked and consumed a chinese takeaway meal before walking out again! I'd never seen them before, nor again since! Baffling!
I remember them! To be fair, I saw at least one of them on a few other occasions up the Manor, and I remember seeing one of them togged out in an Oxford shirt, a beanie and a scarf, so I presume he was an avid, if not totally regular, attendee. I wonder what happened to him.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

Pushed over the barrier into the moat at the London Road end. Having done nothing wrong (I was trying to get away) this was in full view of Desmond Morris's Open University cameras filming &quotAnimal Behaviour&quot.

Being one of only about 6 Oxford fans watching Diaz and crew warm the players up before the game on a cold and windy night in Grimsby. Watching the bemused faces of our average players as they reacted through a translator. Utterly sureal.

Can't beat being at the Dell to see George Weah's &quotcousin&quot come on as a sub only for Souness to drag him off minutes later. Sorry - worked in Southampton then and the office had 2 season tickets (It was my turn to do the client entertaining!)
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Not a one off moment, but I always found it hard not to smile when the St John's Ambulance lady &quotran&quot onto the pitch to help with the stretcher each time a player went down injured.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Crewe away in the spring of ’96. Sitting in the away end at 13:30 for a 15:00 kick off with about 1,000 other Oxford fans, when in walks the first Crewe supporter.

“We can see you sneaking in
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

[quote=&quotSnake&quot]Crewe away in the spring of ’96. Sitting in the away end at 13:30 for a 15:00 kick off with about 1,000 other Oxford fans, when in walks the first Crewe supporter.

“We can see you sneaking in
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

And more recently, at Forest Green, ÔÇ£five one and you canÔÇÖt go homeÔÇ?.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Lights out at Watford was entertaining.

And when we played Liverpool at home in the old proper 1st division, Grobelaar was in front of the London Road and the chant went out &quotBrucey, Brucey show us your tool&quot to which he bent over and swung an arm between his legs as if to make like he was hung like a horse.
Last edited by GodalmingYellow on Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

The &quotWe can see you sneaking in&quot was earlier used at Elland Road when Leeds got a late equaliser to take the game into extra time during which Jim Magilton scored the winner and his last goal for us I think.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

And OUFC playing in a Watford kit because of a cock-up over team colours.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

1) Luton away just after Kinnear jumped ship...

...our bunch were being particularly hopeless to the point where the crowd started singing the circus music.

... at which point two of our players promptly ran straight into each other and toppled over backwards. I swear to this day I saw a Batman style graphic appear bearing the word &ltKERLUNK&gt!

##
2) Convinced girlfriend at the time to stop off at Mansfield on way back from holiday so that I could watch my cousin play for Hereford. Sadly, that was the game that the manager decided to drop the previously everpresent chap to the bench.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Mike Ford scoring a rare goal and sitting on top of an injured Martin Aldridge to celebrate.