Harry & Jim

Anything yellow and blue
Mally
Grumpy old git

Harry & Jim

Post by Mally »

It's been all over the news today that a number of people have been arrested in connection with fraud in professional football. Tonight Five Live are reporting that one of those arrested is Harry Redknapp at Portsmouth and that the allegations against him date back to 2003. Am I right in thinking that Jim Smith was at Portsmouth with Harry Redknapp in 2003?
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

He certainly was.
dr ceri
Brat

Post by dr ceri »

Milan Mandaric has apparently been arrested too. How old is Jim? Can we guess from the reports on the age of the men if he may have been part of the dawn raids?
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

He's not one of the five arrested:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Sto ... 69,00.html

They are (according to above article) Redknapp, Milan Mandaric, Peter Storrie, agent Willie McKay and Charlton midfielder Amdy Faye
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Time for another one of Jim’s long holidays in Spain perhaps?

I’m also surprised to see nothing in the local media about Merry’s scheduled appearance at Bicester Magistrates’ Court yesterday on drink-driving charges.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Harry & Jim

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotMally&quot wrote:It's been all over the news today that a number of people have been arrested in connection with fraud in professional football. Tonight Five Live are reporting that one of those arrested is Harry Redknapp at Portsmouth and that the allegations against him date back to 2003. Am I right in thinking that Jim Smith was at Portsmouth with Harry Redknapp in 2003?
I am told that Harry cannot read or write. He does live in a very nice house in Sandbanks though.

This news is not surprising. But do not discount Harry. He has a great survival instinct and is very popular both within the game and with the media.

Don't know what that says about the game or the media but there you go.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:
&quotMally&quot wrote:It's been all over the news today that a number of people have been arrested in connection with fraud in professional football. Tonight Five Live are reporting that one of those arrested is Harry Redknapp at Portsmouth and that the allegations against him date back to 2003. Am I right in thinking that Jim Smith was at Portsmouth with Harry Redknapp in 2003?
I am told that Harry cannot read or write. He does live in a very nice house in Sandbanks though.

This news is not surprising. But do not discount Harry. He has a great survival instinct and is very popular both within the game and with the media.

So who wrote his programme notes when he was stand-in manager at Oxford City for a couple of games while Bobby Moore was away filming The Great Escape?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

“..do not discount Harry. He has a great survival instinct and is very popular both within the game and with the media.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotHog&quot wrote:
&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:

So who wrote his programme notes when he was stand-in manager at Oxford City for a couple of games while Bobby Moore was away filming The Great Escape?
A ghost writer? You used to work for Oxford City all those years ago after all.... Harry was a good coach even then. Did all the work while Bobby stood around looking all noble and world cup winneresque.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

:oops: Okay, it was me! Bit harsh on Mooro there Tim but I guess you were a bit closer to what was going on than me - I suspect you had a spy in the camp!
One of my abiding memories of the time is when the team bus used to pick up Harry and Bob from whatever tube station was en route to whatever London club we were playing and Harry would always be lugging an unfeasibly large cardboard with him. &quotere y'are lads, latest button-daarn collar shirts, real cheap&quot, &quotere y'are lads, levver jackits, real cheap&quot etc etc. And going away for the Anglo-Italian Cup and Harry and Bob playing poker with all the younger players and taking their whole weeks spending money off them the first night we were there!
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:Time for another one of Jim’s long holidays in Spain perhaps?
I heard a rather sad rumour tonight that the Spanish holiday was a last chance for Jim and his wife and that it didn't work. I sincerely hope it's not true.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

Interesting to hear Redknapp's comments this morning about him not actually being under suspicion and the police and that they have to arrest you before they can talk to you as a witness. Interesting take on things, Harry!
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotHog&quot wrote::oops: Okay, it was me! Bit harsh on Mooro there Tim but I guess you were a bit closer to what was going on than me - I suspect you had a spy in the camp!
One of my abiding memories of the time is when the team bus used to pick up Harry and Bob from whatever tube station was en route to whatever London club we were playing and Harry would always be lugging an unfeasibly large cardboard with him. &quotere y'are lads, latest button-daarn collar shirts, real cheap&quot, &quotere y'are lads, levver jackits, real cheap&quot etc etc. And going away for the Anglo-Italian Cup and Harry and Bob playing poker with all the younger players and taking their whole weeks spending money off them the first night we were there!

Harry's dad was a market stall trader I believe. Your story rings very true.

Sad thing is he would be quite an effective England manager. He won't get the job now of course.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:Time for another one of Jim’s long holidays in Spain perhaps?
I heard a rather sad rumour tonight that the Spanish holiday was a last chance for Jim and his wife and that it didn't work. I sincerely hope it's not true.
What a gormless piece of tittle tattle.
chuckbert
Toddler

Re:

Post by chuckbert »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:I’m also surprised to see nothing in the local media about Merry’s scheduled appearance at Bicester Magistrates’ Court yesterday on drink-driving charges.
Why? Are there any other company directors in the local area whose court appearances you are also waiting for?