MyFootballClub Website Takes Over Ebbsfleet

Anything yellow and blue
SteMerritt
Puberty

MyFootballClub Website Takes Over Ebbsfleet

Post by SteMerritt »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 089473.stm

I honestly never thought it would get this far. I can't see their manager staying put for too long if the website are going to be picking the team.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re: MyFootballClub Website Takes Over Ebbsfleet

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotSteMerritt&quot wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 089473.stm

I honestly never thought it would get this far. I can't see their manager staying put for too long if the website are going to be picking the team.
I feel for Ebbsfleet fans. I fear this could be the beginning of the end for that club, as all control will go out of the window.
dr ceri
Brat

Post by dr ceri »

It'll end in tears.

Also, i'm not sure the website folk are totally aware of the wage cap at this level and its implications. Think they may be thinking they can just throw a load of money at it and watch the inevitable rise through the leagues...
Shoobedoo
Puberty

Post by Shoobedoo »

At least if Ebbsfleet have up to 50,000 new fans perhaps we can expect a decent away following on Saturday?
SteMerritt
Puberty

Re: MyFootballClub Website Takes Over Ebbsfleet

Post by SteMerritt »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotSteMerritt&quot wrote: I feel for Ebbsfleet fans. I fear this could be the beginning of the end for that club, as all control will go out of the window.
That was my first instinct as well GY, but the quote from their fans rep at the end of the article seemed very positive towards the plan. I would be amazed if there was anything other than massive protests if they tried to take over Oxford.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

If we're quick do you think we've got enough time to send them some money and insist they sign Dave Woozely before the weekend and play him alongside Ashton?
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

I really should read more about this. Shame they didn't buy Slumdon.

On the positives Ebbsfleet now have another 50,000 supporters and money in the bank.

To those on these boards that support the 'community club' principal can I ask 'would 20,000 Oxfordshire residents have invested £35 each to take over Oxford United? Maybe this is a model for 'post WPL'.

We all know that you can't have players sat in the changing room on Friday waiting for the poll to finish to see which 11 players are selected. Surely this proposal will give fans the opportunity to say what they would like to see, but not dictate. And they would have to watch regularly to form an opinion.

Anyway, they will be a big Directors Box.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:I really should read more about this. Shame they didn't buy Slumdon.

On the positives Ebbsfleet now have another 50,000 supporters and money in the bank.

To those on these boards that support the 'community club' principal can I ask 'would 20,000 Oxfordshire residents have invested £35 each to take over Oxford United? Maybe this is a model for 'post WPL'.

We all know that you can't have players sat in the changing room on Friday waiting for the poll to finish to see which 11 players are selected. Surely this proposal will give fans the opportunity to say what they would like to see, but not dictate. And they would have to watch regularly to form an opinion.

Trouble is we'd need over 100,000 fans to pay £35 each just to clear the current debt.

Let's hope all their new internet fans rush out to see their new team on Saturday.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotDLT&quot wrote:I really should read more about this. Shame they didn't buy Slumdon.

The difference with the community principle is that members get to vote on key major decisions, but day to day running is left to the professionals under a baord elected by the members.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

I have just had a look at the website and think I might have a dabble myself for a bit of fun.

The principal is exactly the same as the horse racing clubs that have been around for years. You all chuck in a tiny amount and get to claim a share in ownership.

The reality is that someone in the centre gets all the power and influence and has the job of keeping investors sweet.

No wonder Liam Daish is keen on the idea. All he needs to do is write a nice little diary on the web a few times a week and finds himself with money to invest. He is a good manager and will make the most of hismoney.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotDLT&quot wrote:I have just had a look at the website and think I might have a dabble myself for a bit of fun.

The principal is exactly the same as the horse racing clubs that have been around for years. You all chuck in a tiny amount and get to claim a share in ownership.

The reality is that someone in the centre gets all the power and influence and has the job of keeping investors sweet.

No wonder Liam Daish is keen on the idea. All he needs to do is write a nice little diary on the web a few times a week and finds himself with money to invest. He is a good manager and will make the most of hismoney.
And what happens when the £700k runs out half way through the season?
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

it all depends on how this works in practice. it sounds like madness, but 'the rules of the game' in football are changing, facilitated by technology.

i suspect its popularity is down to the fact that people can imagine how it might work in its most radical inception. if that's how the organisers really intend to run it, like others, i can't see it being anything other than a mess.

but i also suspect that the reality will be rather more prosaic, the actual input members will get will be very low-key, and if someone were to try and repeat the trick again, far fewer people would be interested.
Last edited by Matt D on Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Should we go on their website and actively encourage the investors to support their team at Oxford on Saturday?
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

Maybe livescores.com will bother to update the team's name now...
entirely disenchanted
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by DLT »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotDLT&quot wrote:I have just had a look at the website and think I might have a dabble myself for a bit of fun.

And what happens when the £700k runs out half way through the season?
Well in horse racing the investment would end up in pedigree chum can.

Perhaps I can turn your question back on you. What would happen if any club found the money run out have way through the season, why should this be different to Lincoln, Rushden or Chelsea.