I've just about had it with Satanta - already!!

Anything yellow and blue
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

I've just about had it with Satanta - already!!

Post by A-Ro »

I haven't even seen us play on Satanta and I'm disenchanted, I've got a rake of blokes coming over tonight and I know I'm going to end up severely stressed because of the moaning about the state of the picture.

All the Satanta sports channels have a very poor picture which keeps breaking up even on a good day, I hope it doesn't rain tonight, even a light shower is enough to get the picture to hang completely.

I rang Sky last night who said it was the broadcasters issue - not theirs. I rang Satanta where a recorded voice said &quotall our staff are very busy - ring back later when they're not&quot and hung up - brilliant.

I checked out the internet and the satellite geeks all said it's because Satanta are broadcasting from the poverty satellite but that if you have a bigger dish and better alignment then you will get a better picture - oh good more expense.

Im getting an engineer round on my insurance to see what he can do but it won't be in time for tonight's game.

And to cap it all I have Satanta on my Sky|| box but if I want it on my other tellies I've got to get another subscription - making it £20 a month. Sky can manage 2 boxes in the same household but Satanta can't or more likely won't.

If the engineer doesn't come up with a massive improvement I'm kicking it into touch and watching the games in the White Horse - which I might do tonight anyway if the reception is awful.
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

No problems at all with a crappy little freeview box
Shoobedoo
Puberty

Re:

Post by Shoobedoo »

&quotneilw&quot wrote:No problems at all with a crappy little freeview box
Lucky you!! The one supplied to us by Setanta only comes with a single SCART connection - so no videoing digital channels, and it's slower than a slow thing from Slow Land on the planet Slow, and has a habit of hanging for no reason every couple of hours or so.

Then there was this awful screeching sound during the Toulouse v Liverpool match last night but that just turned out to be Steve McManamanamanamanaman.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Not had any problems so far, on a standard Sky dish and box.

Picture always crystal (the air will be blue tonight if I get any problems when I'm watching the mighty U's).

Has your dish been properly aligned? You can check the signal strength through the services option.

One thing I did notice during the Turkey v Grays match was the dressing room intrusion. I can't see Jim Smith putting up with that for too long. The quality of the coverage of that match came over as a little amteurish, a bit like producing a film at school! Hopefully that aspect will improve.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

I did the signal strength thing and it didn't look brilliant so hopefully the engineer will sort that out.

That is certainly what the satellite geeks were saying, a well set up system doesn't have the same problems.

However, I'm certainly not getting up the ladder tonight and moving the dish about until I get a better signal, I might lose the whole lot.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:I did the signal strength thing and it didn't look brilliant so hopefully the engineer will sort that out.

That is certainly what the satellite geeks were saying, a well set up system doesn't have the same problems.

However, I'm certainly not getting up the ladder tonight and moving the dish about until I get a better signal, I might lose the whole lot.
I don't imagine you'll get one today, but you can get a gadet which you can connect to the LNB on the dish to line up the dish perfectly.

I've got one but I don't suppose you live anywhere near Godalming.
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Setanta

Post by Swissbloke »

The crappy picture will be down to the dish or a tree in between you and the satellite I should think.

I subscribed to NASN for a while (cancelled over 18months ago and they've still not locked the signal out on my system :lol: ) and the picture is great, will have a go subscribing to Setanta tonight and see.
Zeke
Dashing young thing

Post by Zeke »

I'm bitter since the Setanta that I get isn't coveing the Oxford match. Instead I get Rotherham and Sheffield Wednesday. Like I give a **** about Rotherham and Sheffield Wednesday.
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

I hate Setanta too

Post by Swissbloke »

Been trying to subscribe for 2||hours only to have them lose me, delete my details, charge me three times and now &quothave an error on the system so we can't unlock you&quot

Shite.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

I get it free with my Virgin Media cable package, so please excuse me a small gloat. Watching the build-up now, in fact.
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

I hate Setanta loads now

Post by Swissbloke »

Still they can't unlock the signal due to &quotfactors we don't understand&quot and they may have also charged my FIVE times which I can only check when I get my bill.

And then we go and fakking lose and by the sounds of it play crap
Shoobedoo
Puberty

Post by Shoobedoo »

I think I may ask them to lock my signal next time we're on the telly.
scoob
Sperm

Post by scoob »

I watched the game via Broadband because my Frieview box does not have a slot and Im unlikely to watch Setanta much so not worth the invesment in a new box. Im really only interested in OUFC games and if tonite is anything to go by there is no point in watching crap football on a crystall clear screen. Picture and link were no worse than anyother PC Video that Ive seen but it was at least 30 seconds behind real time so I could not listend to Radio Oxford commentary at the same time. (I was listeneing to Rad Ox via Broadband too). My Brother logged into my account and found that the timing was ok on his PC. Anyone have any idea what may have caused this?

For anyone interested in Motorsport I did find a bit of decent Irish Rallying coverage on Setanta so maybe worth the eight quid per month after all.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I also made a last minute decision to take the broadband option, which was relatively inexpensive and pain free. And the picture was better than I expected, even in full screen mode.

I'm pretty sure that in 23 years of supporting the U's, last night was the first time I've ever watched a live match in my own home.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

At 19:20 the phone rang while we were drinking beer watching some fit bird talk about golf and it was the service engineer (not Sky) who got me to reload the latest software which improved the picture a bit but not much. He did say there was a 1 in 50 chance that the system wouldn't come back and we worked out that if it failed we would just about have enough time to get to the pub.

He told me that they wouldn't be sending engineers out to investigate these faults yet because they have had thousands of calls along the same lines.

They are in discussion with Setanta to work out a technical solution which they will roll out centrally.

So perhaps I'll stick with it a bit longer.