Gilchrist

Anything yellow and blue

Should Gilly retire and get off the wage bill?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 15

recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Gilchrist

Post by recordmeister »

With Gilly breaking down in training again, meaning he won't be fit for the start of the season, should he do the decent thing and retire? He certainly doesn't need the (reported) £50k he is on a year.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

That was me with the first yes vote.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re: Gilchrist

Post by Mally »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:With Gilly breaking down in training again, meaning he won't be fit for the start of the season, should he do the decent thing and retire? He certainly doesn't need the (reported) £50k he is on a year.
For the good of the club overall I think he should but I thought he was past his retire by date last season. But as he's got a contract I can't see him walking away. £50k is £50k - He's probably earned quite well over the last ten years but he's hardly going to be millionaire and he's probably spent most of what he earned anyway.
Shoobedoo
Puberty

Post by Shoobedoo »

With all due respect to the chap, I can't see how his return would add to the side. Lack of pace, inability to pass and I actually think, Exeter nightmare notwithstanding, that Quinny's a better captain.

Sorry if that's a bit harsh.
scooter
Dashing young thing

Post by scooter »

He is on a lot more than £50k.

Almost double that.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Yes.

£50k is a shed load of money at this level, even for a 20 goals a season striker who plays every game. For an ageing half fit defender who will only play 1/2 the games, it is too much.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

If Gilly was to be released either due to a long term injury or him being surplus to requirements, I wonder if any liquidated damages settlement would count towards the wages cap?

Hopefully not, otherwise there's no point in paying him off. A settlement with Gilly would probably be equal to the average salary for the squad as a whole.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotMally&quot wrote:If Gilly was to be released either due to a long term injury or him being surplus to requirements, I wonder if any liquidated damages settlement would count towards the wages cap?

Hopefully not, otherwise there's no point in paying him off. A settlement with Gilly would probably be equal to the average salary for the squad as a whole.
Agreed.

It would be helpful if ageing, regularly injured players stepped down of their own accord at what looks to be a natural retirement point, but I suppose at this level they have mortgages to pay like the rest of us and will want to protect their own interests first.

Shame because we could probably afford 2 more players using Gilly's wages.

Does anyone on here know if the wage cap is for players only, or does it cover coaching staff as well. Because if Gilly could be moved into a coaching role that could free up his wages for the wage cap.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Presumably the argument for Gilchrist is that he brings his experience and leadership - but I never saw any great evidence that he actually did much to organise, marshall and lead the defence (or the team as a whole) - unlike, say, Andy Crosby. As with Crosby, I think the back line tends to be much too deep when Gilchrist is playing. What's the word on Wilmott? I'd a thousand times rather have him (if fit) at the back than Gilly.
John Byrne's Underpants
Puberty

Post by John Byrne's Underpants »

I agree with the consensus. It's time he hung up his boots. I really don't see, even if he does recover from this injury, how he's going to be any use to us anymore.

As good a player as he was way back when, now he's a liability.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

But he's got a contract for another year. Both sides know when signing a contract that the player (any player) can get injured and thereby not be available for selection, it goes with the territory. The issue is being clouded by the fact that he is near (okay, maybe at) the end of his career which is why some people think it may be the &quotdecent&quot thing for him to retire (or resign if you like). What would your opinion be if he was, say, 25, and having a blinding season and wanted to retire from his contract so he could sign for another club for better money?

Maybe I'm being a bit simplistic but it cuts both ways ...
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

I've voted yes, but I agree with Hog - any contract represents a calculated gamble from the employer's side, and Gilly has every right to see out his contract. Nor do I feel (as with Bradbury, for example) that Gilly isn't trying - he's just too slow, and has looked exposed on several occasions.

I therefore cannot see him playing many games even if fit, so the only benefit to Gilly of a settlement would be saving face. I thought Corcoran / Foster was the best pairing I saw last season, although a fit Wilmott would force his way in there.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

Perversely, it probably makes some sort of sense for the club not to pay up his contract when he's injured as his wages are likely to be covered by insurance.

I've voted yes though. As already said, I don't think there's any lack of effort on Gilly's part, just that time and injuries have caught up with him.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:Perversely, it probably makes some sort of sense for the club not to pay up his contract when he's injured as his wages are likely to be covered by insurance.

I've voted yes though. As already said, I don't think there's any lack of effort on Gilly's part, just that time and injuries have caught up with him.
Do club's at this level take out key man insurance? I wouldn't have thought it was affordable.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Another interesting thing about this situation is comparison with the furore caused by Kassam when he apparently exploited* a condition in Joey Beauchamp's contract for an extra season because he didn't want to pay him yet another years salary for sitting in the treatment room complaining about his little toe! I seem to remember most (all?) people being on Joey's side over that one although although perhaps he could have &quotdone the decent thing&quot and resigned?

* I appreciate exploited might not do it justice!!!!