FA Trophy

Anything yellow and blue

Should we have a serious tilt at winning the FA Trophy?

Yes
40%
No
23%
Start to take it seriously if we reach the quarter-finals
37%

Total votes: 43

Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

I would have thought a couple of cup runs would provide some fun in a season that is more likely than not going to end in disappointment in the league. I'm looking forward to the FA Trophy AND the Setanta Shield. So there.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

How much TV cash would we get just for getting back into the Football League by the season after next, does anyone know?

To add to that, starting in Round One of the FA Cup could be handy in itself, let alone being allowed to enter the Carling Cup and the Johnsons Paint Trophy.

By means of a clue the three year deal signed this month with Sky and the BBC will operate from 2009-10 and is worth £264 million compared to the current £112.5 million. Ok, so the Premiership clubs will still get to share £2,700 million just for themselves, but how tin pot have we become when our ambitions don’t stretch beyond progressing in Mickey Mouse Non-League Tournaments like these at the expense of concentrating 100% on getting promoted?

As for the rules in the Setanta Shield about playing the majority of the players used in the previous competitive game, then they are just bollocks, imo. This is a tournament that has been resurrected solely for TV, and I recall that a similar venture in the past had less than 600 people watching the final at a neutral venue. I can’t provide a url link for that game as this non-event is so off-the-radar I can’t easily find it documented on Google.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Heh, the last time the cup was held, in 2004/5, the final was between Woking and Stalybridge - it wasn't even at a neutral venue, but at Stalybridge's ground, and attracted 471 fans. Not a popular competition. Even so, I enjoy cup football.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotboris&quot wrote:Sorry, Mooro, but are you suggesting that after December, if we still have a chance of the play offs (which we surely will, as we've only got three more league games this year) that we should consider deliberately losing FAT and SS matches in order to avoid fixture congestion? How would that work? Okay, with the FAT we could send out the kids, and if they win that would be fantastic and if they lose, so what? But the SS has rules that stipulate that a certain number of first-choice players have to be included, so should Patto tell them to throw the game, or not try too hard, or what?
I'm sure we had this debate further up the thread. You don't set out to deliberately lose games, you just don't risk key players in these fixtures. Look at the Premiership teams - they do it all the time.

And as for SS rules, it's amazing how minor injuries can keep players out of certain games, but clear up just in time for the next fixture :wink:
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:the club needs as much matchday revenue as it can generate, from whatever competition urgently
So how much revenue would these games generate then? Presumably we have certain fixed costs every time we stage a football match - what is the break-even crowd figure, does anyone know?

Despite Jimski's enthusiasm, I can't see many people wanting to watch us play in this most mickey mouse of all competitions.

They should be useful reserve run-outs, nothing more.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:the club needs as much matchday revenue as it can generate, from whatever competition urgently
So how much revenue would these games generate then? Presumably we have certain fixed costs every time we stage a football match - what is the break-even crowd figure, does anyone know?

Despite Jimski's enthusiasm, I can't see many people wanting to watch us play in this most mickey mouse of all competitions.

Disagree. The Trophy has decent prize money and crowds will rise once we get through to (say) round 3. To get to round 3 we have to win earlier rounds.. I will be at the Angels game.

Presumably they play in all white and are all good in the air.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Go for it.

Good league form is often kick-started by a good run in the cup. Our last promotion year coincided with us beating Dorchester 9-1, then knocking out then &quotchampionship&quot Millwall a bit later on, before being robbed, but still impressing still against Prem League Forest. You just need to &quothave a go&quot if you put up a good show, everyone's confidence rockets.

The year before (when we blew it despite being top a Xmas), the confidence was shattered by that defeat at Marlow. We got a couple of results after, but never looked like world-beaters again.

Ditto that game at Arsenal. Ok, we were never going to win, but had we given it a go, our confidence would have carried on throughout the last third of the season, we'd have gone up. Because Shatkins settled for a 2-0 defeat before kick-off, the players never recovered.

Big wins inspire confidence, and confidence will take us up. Tonbridge Angels are almost certainly rubbish, we should thrash them. Let's go for it, get the strikers buzzing, show we can play.

Doing well in the cup is a good thing: slaughter the crap teams, get your strikers full of goals, use that as a springboard for promotion.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:Go for it.

Good league form is often kick-started by a good run in the cup. Our last promotion year coincided with us beating Dorchester 9-1, then knocking out then &quotchampionship&quot Millwall a bit later on, before being robbed, but still impressing still against Prem League Forest. You just need to &quothave a go&quot if you put up a good show, everyone's confidence rockets.
Indeed, but how did we do in the Auto Windscreens that season? The answer is: who cares?

We should go for it against Southend, and hopefully subsequent rounds. These other cups can give our recovering/fringe players useful pitch time, especially given our lack of competitive reserve fixtures. Especially the Setanta Shield. Just my opinion though.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mooro »

&quotboris&quot wrote:Sorry, Mooro, but are you suggesting that after December, if we still have a chance of the play offs (which we surely will, as we've only got three more league games this year) that we should consider deliberately losing FAT and SS matches in order to avoid fixture congestion? How would that work? Okay, with the FAT we could send out the kids, and if they win that would be fantastic and if they lose, so what? But the SS has rules that stipulate that a certain number of first-choice players have to be included, so should Patto tell them to throw the game, or not try too hard, or what?
I'm not advocating throwing games, or undervaluing the morale boost from winning games, but there is going for it and then there is GOING for it.

The fixture list is such that no team can contemplate going for the treble of FAT, SS &amp promotion, therefore we have to set priorities and select teams accordingly. That doesnt necessarily mean picking the YT en masse, but it means not rushing players back for the lesser aim, in order to ensure they are ready for the main event.

It may only be three games, but if we dont get a reasonable amount of points out of them they we really will be pretty much out of the hunt by the new year. So, yes AO, there is the need to assess priorities at that time to determine where we focus.

Out of the hunt league wise, we use the rest of the league season to cement the foundations of the squad for next season, while concentrating on one or both cups. Still in the hunt, then what we dont want is to go all the way to the SF of the FAT only to lose over two legs, get a meagre £23k in prize money, but run out of steam playing Sat, Tues, Thurs, Sat, Tues, Thurs, Sat in the final weeks of the season due to re-arranged games and either miss out on the playoffs or be too knackered to win them (look at the mess Northwich got in last year fixture wise)

Anyway, as far as the SS is concerned, we now have Warrell, Weedon, Clarke, Benjamin &amp Fisher from the YT with senior squad experience this season, so that is half of the first XI that can have a night off without breaking the rules...
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:
&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:

Disagree. The Trophy has decent prize money and crowds will rise once we get through to (say) round 3. To get to round 3 we have to win earlier rounds.. I will be at the Angels game.

Presumably they play in all white and are all good in the air.
“I will be at the Angels game.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Still time for Patto to take the first team away on holiday and put the kids out on Saturday. There isn’t anything to lose but the Setanta Shield…

Last minute dot com and all that, with the bill picked up by WPL - or are this lot as tight as Firoka?
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

good idea.

even better if it's just one-way tickets for some of them though.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

You old cynic, Matt!

Anyway, the BBC crew will be glad to see the end of the FAT, given what they had to do last night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCRVDkHYAro :D
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:And we still have this..

http://www.oxfordshirefa.com/FixturesAn ... b=fixtures
A golden opportunity for us to sink even lower if we put the first team out.

What round do we come in? Quarter or semi finals?