Today

Anything yellow and blue
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

GY we seem to finish and then you say something which clearly needs to be challenged.

Most good strikers have a touch of arrogance about them - however, I don't see that Duffy has anything more than your average forward players with regards to that.

I do not agree that he is lazy, he's the one player we pump all the balls up to - you can't be lazy if you spend most your time competing with meathead defenders to win a ball - something he does pretty well incidently.

I also can't see how you can see he doesn't contriubte to team play - like I said he's the one who makes himself avalibale for the majority of balls played forward and puts himself on the line to get kicked and fouled more then most of our players - yes it is common at our level but I don't think he shirks from the challenge. I also have not picked up on him giving the ball away - I'll look out for that on Sat.

Fine he might not be the best at this level but he is certainly not average and I would easily place him in the top 5 strikers in our league, if he wasn't injured for much of the first bit of the season he would probably be top scorer in the conference by now.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

I am still on the fence in the Duffy debate. But I do think he gets unfair critisism. The way I see it is:
- he has at times shown great touch on the ball and quality finishing. The goal he bent in from distance at FGR springs to mind. But quality goals do not make a quality player (or do they?) Think Mark Rawle - he got a few unbelievable goals yet we all soon realised he was pretty crap.
- there are other times when the ball does not seem to be his friend.
- his penalty taking shows he has great self belief and his nerve holds while under pressure. ( A play off penalty might be a different matter althogether though).
- he does get battered about a fair bit as there is (usually) no one else taking the stick up front with him but he is far from being the most physical player we have ever had. Possibly not up to this sort of job but we don't want a Julian Alsop do we?
- he doesn't run 40 yards like Andy Scott used to in an effort to close down a defender. This is not as bad as it sounds because I think Scotty used to waste a lot of energy.
- he has never had a chance to form a decent partnership up front as there has been chopping and changing a plenty.
Last edited by Baboo on Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:GY we seem to finish and then you say something which clearly needs to be challenged.

Most good strikers have a touch of arrogance about them - however, I don't see that Duffy has anything more than your average forward players with regards to that.

I do not agree that he is lazy, he's the one player we pump all the balls up to - you can't be lazy if you spend most your time competing with meathead defenders to win a ball - something he does pretty well incidently.

I also can't see how you can see he doesn't contriubte to team play - like I said he's the one who makes himself avalibale for the majority of balls played forward and puts himself on the line to get kicked and fouled more then most of our players - yes it is common at our level but I don't think he shirks from the challenge. I also have not picked up on him giving the ball away - I'll look out for that on Sat.

Fine he might not be the best at this level but he is certainly not average and I would easily place him in the top 5 strikers in our league, if he wasn't injured for much of the first bit of the season he would probably be top scorer in the conference by now.
Items to be challenged works both ways.

These are all the same points you've made before Ty. I haven't got anything new that I wish to add, so rather than bore everyone to tears with the same responses, you only need to look at my previous posts for the replies.