Anything yellow and blue
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote: Oi!

Actually I have a dream of owning a rural self sufficient small holding. I'm all for localism.
I was actually joking, of course. I like a joke before I go hunting gay babies with foxes (is that right? I can never keep up with the latest stereotype)

The interesting question is, should you be encouraged or discouraged from your smallholding? On the one hand, it's a really inefficient use of land, but it's environmentally pretty sound.

I like the liberal capitalist view - try and regulate behaviour through the creation of artificial &quotmarkets&quot to prevent a tragedy of the commons. If they stopped fucking around with carbon trading, we could be reducing CO2 pollution already.
Inefficient use of land?

I would have thought that use of sufficent land to be self supporting is entirely efficient use.

Don't even get me started on environmental issues... :lol:
My Mum runs a small holding (40 acres). Breaks even on the produce but makes small fortune in UK and EU subsidies for planting a tree or having a wooden gate instead of a metal one. Farming strikes me as a national scam, and farmers are fantastic at exploiting every last penny that is available.