Leavers

Anything yellow and blue
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by ty cobb »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
&quotty cobb&quot wrote:... Fozzie was told he would not play for Oxford again and he should get a new club...
That's not the case though is it? I thought that someone came in for Foster and Wilder told him he could talk to them as we weren't planning to offer him a new contract in the summer. I'm not saying I agree with the decision not to offer him a new contract, but it's still a bit different from the picture you've painted.

I suspect it's mainly because Foster is the best-paid central defender at the club, and Wilder thinks he can get better value elsewhere. Though I must admit, if that is the case it's strange he has played Foster ahead of eg Day almost every game so far this season.
Isn't it - how do you know? I'm going on quotes from his Dad on TiU, which indicate to me at least that he has been told to find a new club as he's not wanted anymore.

&quotHe is gutted to be leaving, the decision was not his, but times change, he is now looking for a new club and I have no doubt he will find one.&quot

&quotIt is a shame that he will not get a hand on the trophy but, such is life.&quot

Like I said to be told that just as you were expecting a kid is harsh.
Matthewjbutler
Brat

Post by Matthewjbutler »

What's worse though? Being told now that he will not be offered a new contract and having a good opportunity to find a new club in the window, or waiting until the Summer and then risk having to find a new club and place to live while you are technically out of contract, unpaid and having to still raise a very young child.

Either way is hardly perfect but at least this way he has more chance of getting something sorted, rather than being left completely out to dry in the Summer months and have less bargaining tools at his disposal.

Typically we know very little about this so I would trust Wilder's judgement as ever. Much prefer this being dealt with quietly by the club, rather than the public airing of dirty laundry as shown by clubs like Kettering in recent weeks (re: a certain Mr Fowler!!) Player contracts (or lack of them) deserve to be treated sensitively where necessary and I'm sure all will become clear in close-season when the dust has settled...
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotMatthewjbutler&quot wrote:What's worse though? Being told now that he will not be offered a new contract and having a good opportunity to find a new club in the window, or waiting until the Summer and then risk having to find a new club and place to live while you are technically out of contract, unpaid and having to still raise a very young child.
I’d say that saying nothing to Foster would be bad for him but good for the club in the short term. It all depends on your sympathies and priorities.

As for criticising Wilder, then as far as I can see he’s got things 90% right at OUFC and that’s a lot better than nearly all of his predecessors. Not sure on this one but time and the final league table will tell I guess.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:
&quotty cobb&quot wrote:... Fozzie was told he would not play for Oxford again and he should get a new club...
That's not the case though is it? I thought that someone came in for Foster and Wilder told him he could talk to them as we weren't planning to offer him a new contract in the summer. I'm not saying I agree with the decision not to offer him a new contract, but it's still a bit different from the picture you've painted.

I suspect it's mainly because Foster is the best-paid central defender at the club, and Wilder thinks he can get better value elsewhere. Though I must admit, if that is the case it's strange he has played Foster ahead of eg Day almost every game so far this season.
Isn't it - how do you know? I'm going on quotes from his Dad on TiU, which indicate to me at least that he has been told to find a new club as he's not wanted anymore.

&quotHe is gutted to be leaving, the decision was not his, but times change, he is now looking for a new club and I have no doubt he will find one.&quot

&quotIt is a shame that he will not get a hand on the trophy but, such is life.&quot

I still don't understand the bit about Foster being told he won't play for Us again - where are you getting that from? If it's from TiU I'd take it with a large pinch of salt...
scooter
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by scooter »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:
&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote: That's not the case though is it? I thought that someone came in for Foster and Wilder told him he could talk to them as we weren't planning to offer him a new contract in the summer. I'm not saying I agree with the decision not to offer him a new contract, but it's still a bit different from the picture you've painted.

I still don't understand the bit about Foster being told he won't play for Us again - where are you getting that from? If it's from TiU I'd take it with a large pinch of salt...
Normally I would agree that TIU info needs to be treated with caution, but it is widely accepted that Letterman is his father and he has stated pretty emphatically that Fossie has been told thats it chap.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotscooter&quot wrote:Normally I would agree that TIU info needs to be treated with caution
Also agree, but what about the data that gets posted on Facebook, scooter?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotscooter&quot wrote:
&quotty cobb&quot wrote: Isn't it - how do you know? I'm going on quotes from his Dad on TiU, which indicate to me at least that he has been told to find a new club as he's not wanted anymore.

Normally I would agree that TIU info needs to be treated with caution, but it is widely accepted that Letterman is his father and he has stated pretty emphatically that Fossie has been told thats it chap.
Is that correct? I've seen that Foster's Dad says Foster has been told he can talk to other clubs, but I've not seen Foster's Dad say that Foster has been told he will never play for the club again.

Do you have a link to post up?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotscooter&quot wrote: Normally I would agree that TIU info needs to be treated with caution, but it is widely accepted that Letterman is his father and he has stated pretty emphatically that Fossie has been told thats it chap.
Is that correct? I've seen that Foster's Dad says Foster has been told he can talk to other clubs, but I've not seen Foster's Dad say that Foster has been told he will never play for the club again.

Do you have a link to post up?
Yes, there's a big difference between the two statements.

If he has been told he'll not play again, then I can only think there must have been a big bust-up and Wilder wants to move him on as quickly as possible. Why else would you not play someone whose wages you're still paying and who you've trusted to start virtually every game so far this season?
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I reckon that Wilder can't bring anyone else in without freeing up the budget by Foster moving on. Possibly this is also why Wilder has not been talking about any other potential transfers in this January.
scooter
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by scooter »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotscooter&quot wrote:Normally I would agree that TIU info needs to be treated with caution
Don't do facebook so can't comment.

I did open an account some time ago when the OxVox page was set up but haven't used it.

I accessed it this morning out of curiosity and found after several months I had one friends request from TL and a suggested list of people I may want to add one of which was you.

Obviously I have underestimated the quality of posters who use the site and may have to reevaluate my stance.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotscooter&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:
Don't do facebook so can't comment.

I did open an account some time ago when the OxVox page was set up but haven't used it.

I accessed it this morning out of curiosity and found after several months I had one friends request from TL and a suggested list of people I may want to add one of which was you.

Obviously I have underestimated the quality of posters who use the site and may have to reevaluate my stance.
I dipped my toe into Facebook about 3 or 4 years ago under a pseudonym just to see what it was all about and whether it could be any real use to #oufc, but I decided that although it added something to the information pool it was not worth the effort in terms of the number of hours you needed to spend on it, so I closed it down.

About six months ago I opened an account under my real name, but only because one of my kids was spending 60-80 hours a week* on Facebook - so it’s helped me to understand her addiction to a single internet application.

I rarely update my page, and it’s been a while since I accepted an invitation to add to the minuscule number of “friends
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

So Fozzie not on the pitch or on the bench - still think he's going to get a game this season?

I thought for the first time in ages we looked nervy and a bit all over the place at the back yesterday, of course it will take new players time to settle but changing the entire left side of defence will make this process harder.

Still think this decision is a bit bonkers and could well cost us promotion.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:So Fozzie not on the pitch or on the bench - still think he's going to get a game this season?

I thought for the first time in ages we looked nervy and a bit all over the place at the back yesterday, of course it will take new players time to settle but changing the entire left side of defence will make this process harder.

Still think this decision is a bit bonkers and could well cost us promotion.
I heard a rumour that there has been a big bust-up, and it is Foster who has said he'll never play for the club again, after storming out, rather than the other way round. We'll probably never know though.

I certainly think the situation is regrettable, however it has happened.