Chester City again....

Anything yellow and blue
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Rumour is that the meeting will be held at Nene Park next Friday. The voting isn't that straightforward apparently - each Conf National club gets a vote each (except Chester of course - they're currently suspended) and the Conf North gets four votes between them, as does the Conf South. No idea how that works in practice, though. 75% is required for a motion to be upheld, and I assume that abstentions aren't counted, otherwise they're effectively a vote against.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotSnake&quot wrote: Gotta get out of this poxy, poxy league.
And how long have we been saying this?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotboris&quot wrote:Rumour is that the meeting will be held at Nene Park next Friday. The voting isn't that straightforward apparently - each Conf National club gets a vote each (except Chester of course - they're currently suspended) and the Conf North gets four votes between them, as does the Conf South. No idea how that works in practice, though. 75% is required for a motion to be upheld, and I assume that abstentions aren't counted, otherwise they're effectively a vote against.
Friday?!?. Great, so the OUFC squad has to be on standby to jump on a coach Friday afternoon if they are staying overnight?

Right, according to my dodgy maths there are 23 || 4 || 4 = 31 votes so the Conference need 24 votes to kick them out.

Or put another way, if only 8 Premier clubs reject the motion (or abstain?) then Chester survive. And how do Conference North and South collectively make up their minds on how to use their 4 votes each?

And what about the conflicts of interests amongst clubs who would find themselves in a worse/better position should Chester’s results be expunged? Surely there is a legal position/challenge to consider that may spin this out beyond the end of April!!!!!

Cue Circus music…
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotboris&quot wrote:Rumour is that the meeting will be held at Nene Park next Friday. The voting isn't that straightforward apparently - each Conf National club gets a vote each (except Chester of course - they're currently suspended) and the Conf North gets four votes between them, as does the Conf South. No idea how that works in practice, though. 75% is required for a motion to be upheld, and I assume that abstentions aren't counted, otherwise they're effectively a vote against.
Friday?!?. Great, so the OUFC squad has to be on standby to jump on a coach Friday afternoon if they are staying overnight?

Right, according to my dodgy maths there are 23 || 4 || 4 = 31 votes so the Conference need 24 votes to kick them out.

Or put another way, if only 8 Premier clubs reject the motion (or abstain?) then Chester survive. And how do Conference North and South collectively make up their minds on how to use their 4 votes each?

And what about the conflicts of interests amongst clubs who would find themselves in a worse/better position should Chester’s results be expunged? Surely there is a legal position/challenge to consider that may spin this out beyond the end of April!!!!!

Cue Circus music…
It is a nonsense, and Brian Lee should have stood up to the League at the start of the season and prevented Chester's admission. You can't have a credible competition that bends, no make that deliberately breaks, it's own rules under duress.

I would think that Conf N&ampS sides would want to kick Chester out for several reasons. For teams near the bottom of N&ampS, there will be one fewer relegation places for them to fall into. (I don't think this will be a consideration from BSP as Chester are all but relegated anyway). Conf N&ampS will almost certainly want guarantee of fixtures next season and if Chester remain that would probably be a hollow guarantee.

For BSP teams, I think those teams who have dropped points against Chester will be guaranteed to vote to kick them out. Those still to play Chester, like us, will have virtually guaranteed points from the outstanding games and the potential to make up a big positive goal difference compared to sides who played Chester when they had a stronger side. Obviously we will vote to kick them out as it removes any small risk of dropping points compared to Stevenage and would effectively take us one game nearer the title.

Other teams are more difficult to call.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Indeed, GY, but don’t you think (I’m playing Devil’s Advocate here) there is a legal case should Chester’s owner(s) push the conflict of interest angle?

For example, which way would Turkeys vote over Christmas, and is this going to be a secret ballot? I know which way I’d want Cambridge United to vote if I were a fan of Them.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

As Baboo says, some teams will also be considering the loss of a home game revenue.

Easy enough for OUFC as we have already played the home game against Chester. But a totally lost home game would hurt the other clubs by missing a home fixture altogether.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Another set of fans may rue the loss of a local derby, like the sheep shaggers just across the border in Wales, given that their away game with their most long standing rival was postponed/cancelled just a few days ago.

If Chester are expunged then having seen a hat-trick from the best striker in the Conference wiped out I’ll not be asking for my money back, but someone might, so complications may arise later..

I think any legal argument could have some legs on it that will keep on running for a while, so it’s important that we don’t just win this poxy League, but we do so by a margin that whatever the Vaughn’s intentions are we don’t need to get involved in that kind of stuff.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:Indeed, GY, but don’t you think (I’m playing Devil’s Advocate here) there is a legal case should Chester’s owner(s) push the conflict of interest angle?

For example, which way would Turkeys vote over Christmas, and is this going to be a secret ballot? I know which way I’d want Cambridge United to vote if I were a fan of Them.
I don't think there would be a valid legal case, as the rules of the competition were agreed by Chester before joining. They have breached the rules, ad now they are subject to the rules regardsing expulsion. It might not stop them trying of course, but success would be unlikely and the case would be costly in my view.

They would need to successfully argue that the rules of the competition, that they agreed to and that they breached, were inherently unfair. Once you agree to something it is difficult to go back and say you don't agree now that the rules have come back to bite you on the bum.

Hopefully that will be the end of the Vaughan family's participation in football, and the Chester fans can create a phoenix club which I suspect would do reasonably well.
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

&quotwould effectively take us one game nearer the title.&quot ...........

Or alternatively, bring Luton right back in the mix and provide another threat to the title.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote: Hopefully that will be the end of the Vaughan family's participation in football, and the Chester fans can create a phoenix club which I suspect would do reasonably well.
That's exactly what the fans should be concentrating on right now. But do they have the numbers, will, and know how? Weren't many of them came to the Kasstad this season.
Zeke
Dashing young thing

Post by Zeke »

Mansfield's chairman has announced that he is voting to keep them in the League. Unsurprisingly, Mansfield have oicked up 6 points from Chester this season.

Ridiculous
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotZeke&quot wrote:Mansfield's chairman has announced that he is voting to keep them in the League. Unsurprisingly, Mansfield have oicked up 6 points from Chester this season.

Ridiculous
If they are kept in chaos will ensue. As I've said before - nothing has changed as far as their players are concerned so they will continue to refuse to play won't they?
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Chester have 18 fixtures still to play (as have Barrow for that matter).
Unless something drastic happens at the start of this week to ensure the players are paid and the Chester ground is opened, I can't see how Saturday's game against us will go ahead.

If the vote does go for Chester and they are un-suspended, how long until they miss their next game?

Then what happens? Conference charge them with failing to fulfil a fixture, puts expulsion to a vote again?

FIFA rules allow for a missed (international) game to be decided as a 3-0 win to the opposition. Scotland against a soviet union team?
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:FIFA rules allow for a missed (international) game to be decided as a 3-0 win to the opposition. Scotland against a soviet union team?
Is that the one where they had to turn up and kick off without any opposition to claim the points. A few fans travelled too as I recall.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotslappy&quot wrote:FIFA rules allow for a missed (international) game to be decided as a 3-0 win to the opposition. Scotland against a soviet union team?
Is that the one where they had to turn up and kick off without any opposition to claim the points. A few fans travelled too as I recall.
I think it was Estonia, I seem to recall the fans singing &quotOne team in Tallin&quot