Squad Status 08/09

Anything yellow and blue
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

3 goals in 40 games the previous (06/07) season - http://www.soccerbase.com/players_detai ... yerid=7832

So that's 6 goals in his last 65 games.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotdeanwindass&quot wrote:Keep faith. Didn't Aldershot have about 4 players registered with two weeks to go or something? Also, a friend of mine who is a Hereford fan claims that they only had 5 signed on within a week of their first game last season - loads of trialists and loan signings later and they're in league one.
Right, so we have no need top panic whatsoever, not even if we have signed no one new by 8th August?????

(I thought Aldershot had a fairly settled side from the previous season.)
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:3 goals in 40 games the previous (06/07) season - http://www.soccerbase.com/players_detai ... yerid=7832

So that's 6 goals in his last 65 games.
Wow.
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Sideshow Rob »

The other big tip over on the Dark side is Charlie MacDonald of Southend. He didn't come off last season in League One but scored 39 in 61 starts for Gravesend. If Taylor is to be back-up striker then this would make more sense. All idle speculation and rumour of course.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Hog »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote: I had a look at the list in th Non League Paper last Sunday and was pretty underwhelmed.
&quotPretty underwhelmed&quot is how I am beginning to feel.
56 days to go.
Could be worse, you could have already bought a season ticket ... oh!
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

[quote=&quotHog
Could be worse, you could have already bought a season ticket ... oh![/quote]

The thought of not having one was worse than the thought of having one.
I like the summer break but I am missing it even though I know it only brings pain and gfrief.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Nope, otherwise you’ll be labelled as being paranoid about our situation.

Next thing you know you’ll find we’re only 12-1 with the bookies to go down.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/non ... relegation

Flash that cash Mr Lenagan, you know it makes sense - and if Carlsberg ran Oxford United it wouldn’t be run like this
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
Next thing you know you’ll find we’re only 12-1 with the bookies to go down.
Ever enerous these bookies. Burton beaten play off semi finalists come in at 16-1 and Cambridge the losing finalists are 14-1.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Verifield rumour: We are looking at Scott Taylor, but also two other strikers, whose goalscoring records in the conference are considerably better.

I'd Imagine Taylor would be a &quotsquad&quot player, rather than a starter.
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Sideshow Rob »

&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:Verifield rumour: We are looking at Scott Taylor, but also two other strikers, whose goalscoring records in the conference are considerably better.

I'd Imagine Taylor would be a &quotsquad&quot player, rather than a starter.
And McDonald would be one of the two with his 2 in 3 goal ratio with Gravesend. Brentford are also in for him and he's turned down Cambridge. He has also stated that he didn't want to drop back to the BSP so it will be a major coup if Patto could bring it off.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotSideshow Rob&quot wrote:[
Brentford are also in for him and he's turned down Cambridge. He has also stated that he didn't want to drop back to the BSP so it will be a major coup if Patto could bring it off.
And therefore very unlikely that we'll get him.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Brentford aren't likely to do anything next season, whereas our name/stadium/&quotresources&quot alone make us one of the favourites to go up ...

He's also scored goals in non-league, whereas he barely rippled any onionbags last season in the league...

I guess my point is that scoring goals in a possible promotion campaign could be more attractive than a season not scoring for a mid-table team a division above.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:Brentford aren't likely to do anything next season, whereas our name/stadium/&quotresources&quot alone make us one of the favourites to go up ...

He's also scored goals in non-league, whereas he barely rippled any onionbags last season in the league...

I guess my point is that scoring goals in a possible promotion campaign could be more attractive than a season not scoring for a mid-table team a division above.
So we offer him a year contract, rely on his goals to get us up then ditch him. I'd settle for that.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I'm far form convinced that Scott Taylor is the sort of player we should be looking at.

At age 32 he is well past his prime, and his record in recent seasons verifies that.

That he is even considering a part time role with Lewes, indicates a level of commitment substantially below where we should be looking and also indicates that he may not be capable of completing a full fixture list.

I would much prefer an up and coming striker, than a down and dropping one.

I won't be concerned about lack of signings until pre-season starts. By then I want the vast majority of the squad to be in place, or I will want some searching questions to be asked by TL and Co.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:I won't be concerned about lack of signings until pre-season starts. By then I want the vast majority of the squad to be in place, or I will want some searching questions to be asked by TL and Co.
When does pre-season start ?