Managerial Merry-go-round

Anything yellow and blue
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Re: Managerial Merry-go-round

Post by joepoolman »

Buckle's Cheltenham earned 8 points from 13 games and 4 of those points were against Oxford! The first managerial tenure in history when half the points came against one club?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

joepoolman wrote:Buckle's Cheltenham earned 8 points from 13 games and 4 of those points were against Oxford! The first managerial tenure in history when half the points came against one club?
All of Waddock's points for Us came against Plymouth!
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Jimski wrote:Indeed, 7 league titles and 7 fa cups, a european cup, etc., etc.
Yes but none of them in the 30+ years that I've been watching football. All they've won in that time is a couple of League Cups and even we've managed one of them. And even before that our first ten fixtures against AVFC were all in the second tier. In fact all but one of their league titles came over 100 years ago!

Of course Mooro thinks they're 'great' - he's a Villa fan after all. But unless you want to extend the epithet to 20 or 30 teams they've not been up there with the greats for some time.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Kernow Yellow wrote:
Jimski wrote:Indeed, 7 league titles and 7 fa cups, a european cup, etc., etc.
Yes but none of them in the 30+ years that I've been watching football. All they've won in that time is a couple of League Cups and even we've managed one of them. And even before that our first ten fixtures against AVFC were all in the second tier. In fact all but one of their league titles came over 100 years ago!

Of course Mooro thinks they're 'great' - he's a Villa fan after all. But unless you want to extend the epithet to 20 or 30 teams they've not been up there with the greats for some time.
Grew up as one, yes, defected during the 90s, but still my second team. Also interesting to note that you started watching football just after they won the League, European cup and European super cup in the early 80s, but yes precious little since :roll:

However, you may be interested to note the findings of a little investigation I have undertaken recently, which attempted to establish which teams were or are 'the biggest' - with a simple formula of winning the top flight 20pts, down to 1pt for coming 20th (and 21st & 22nd where relevent):
The all time table shows Villa as the final member of a Big Five along with Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd & Everton, who were a country mile ahead of any other side - tho of course you could argue that they got a head start with all that 19th century stuff so........
Post War they are 7th, behind Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs Everton & Chelsea, and just ahead of Man C, Newcastle & Leeds - (Oxford are joint 50th on 7pts BTW, with our friends from down the A420 languishing in joint 55th on a single point)...
But.....If you want a more modern ranking then taking just the Premiership years, then they actually rank in 6th place - The clear leaders are Man Utd on 423pts; followed by the rest of my top tier: Arsenal 382, Liverpool 362 and Chelsea 355; with the second tier consisting of Spurs 272, Villa 256, Newcastle 240 & Everton 233; before another gap to Blackburn 198, Man City 186 West Ham 162 & Leeds 146.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

Kernow Yellow wrote:
joepoolman wrote:Buckle's Cheltenham earned 8 points from 13 games and 4 of those points were against Oxford! The first managerial tenure in history when half the points came against one club?
All of Waddock's points for Us came against Plymouth!
How did I forget that?! Maybe I should be asking why did you have to remind me!
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Mooro wrote: Also interesting to note that you started watching football just after they won the League, European cup and European super cup in the early 80s, but yes precious little since :roll:
Not quite sure what the rolly eyes are about. My point is that football fans up to the age of 40 are unlikely to have seen Villa be a 'great' team in all their years of football watching, and therefore unlikely to consider them as one.
Mooro wrote:However, you may be interested to note the findings of a little investigation I have undertaken recently
Nope, sorry - I'm an Oxford fan :lol:
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Kernow Yellow wrote:
Nope, sorry - I'm an Oxford fan :lol:
Then what are you doing on a thread involving the other 91 league clubs then???

Anyway, Chris Ramsey has joined John Carver in the 'job to the end of the season club', this time at QPR,
and part-time Sunday League outfit Aston Villa have appointed Tim Sherwood as boss

PS Former England Fast -bowler Steve Harmison has been appointed as manager of Ashington Football Club - interesting to see how that will turn out!
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Darren Ferguson leaves Peterboro after more than four years in charge http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31571698 - the fifth longest term on the list...meaning there are only ten managers left in place that were in their current job before this thread began, with Big Sam up to 6th (and Appleton 54th):

It has also been announced that MArk Warburton will leave Brentford at the end of the season
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Dis-missed er Blue Sky - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31587140

Appleton up another place to 53rd as Pressley leaves from 27th, jsut two weeks short of 2 years in the job
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Newport have appointed Jimmy Dack - who was caretaker alongside Wayne Hatswell - as manager until the end of the season.
Bookies favourites elsewhere:
Barnsley - Lee Johnson from Craig Hignett & MArk Cooper
Coventry - caretaker Dave Hockaday, tony Mowbray & James Beattie
Newcastle (from 1st day next season) - Steve Mclaren ahead of Carver, Benitez and Garde
Peterbro - Grant Mccann from Steve Evans (altho they deny it), c/t Dave Robertson, Tony Adams or Nigel Adkins
oh, and 'Arry Redknapp is 5/2 favourite to be the next boss at West Ham
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Mooro wrote:Newport have appointed Jimmy Dack - who was caretaker alongside Wayne Hatswell - as manager until the end of the season.
Bookies favourites elsewhere:
Barnsley - Lee Johnson from Craig Hignett & MArk Cooper
Coventry - caretaker Dave Hockaday, tony Mowbray & James Beattie
Newcastle (from 1st day next season) - Steve Mclaren ahead of Carver, Benitez and Garde
Peterbro - Grant Mccann from Steve Evans (altho they deny it), c/t Dave Robertson, Tony Adams or Nigel Adkins
oh, and 'Arry Redknapp is 5/2 favourite to be the next boss at West Ham
and indeed, Lee Johnson does leave Oldham for Barnsley - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31621401 - Paul Scholes early favourite
Appleton up to 52nd
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Tony Mowbray returns to management at the Ricoh - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31694467
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Been quiet for a few days but now Holloway goes at Millwall - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31814234 - with Neil Harris taking temp charge until the end of the season

Appleton now just one place short of the top 50!
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Sunderland AFC have just sacked Gus Poyet.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

OUFC4eva wrote:Sunderland AFC have just sacked Gus Poyet.
Confirmed http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31902933

Congratulations to Michael Appleton for reaching the top 50 of the longest serving managers list