James Constable: Legend?

Anything yellow and blue
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re: James Constable: Legend?

Post by Snake »

Ramon Diaz and none of his big backroom team are on our list, even though he really is a proper ‘legend’ in other parts of the world.

Going back to the cult side of things then how about Joe Kinnear and that fans forum he took control of, despite being asked to moderate his language by the Chair beforehand.
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

I was telling a Newcastle fan about that infamous Kinnear forum just the other week. He assumed that I was exaggerating somewhat regarding the choice and tone of language. For those that were there, you'll agree, you couldn't possibly exaggerate. Unbelievable behaviour, yet he's still deemed employable by some.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

And just after that forum he went out with a very specific budget from Uncle Fizoz but he put pen and ink to bits of paper on much larger contracts for two players, which is why he got sacked and we ended up with Kemp Out as a manger (who incidentally has done ok since leaving Oxford United).
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

neilw wrote:IDG
Give that man a cigar.
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

Snake wrote:And just after that forum he went out with a very specific budget from Uncle Fizoz but he put pen and ink to bits of paper on much larger contracts for two players, which is why he got sacked and we ended up with Kemp Out as a manger (who incidentally has done ok since leaving Oxford United).
I thought Burger Boy chose to move on because he had the Luton move planned. I didn't know he had the Spanish Archer and didn't believe the 'poor health' excuse.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Geoff wrote:
Snake wrote:And just after that forum he went out with a very specific budget from Uncle Fizoz but he put pen and ink to bits of paper on much larger contracts for two players, which is why he got sacked and we ended up with Kemp Out as a manger (who incidentally has done ok since leaving Oxford United).
I thought Burger Boy chose to move on because he had the Luton move planned. I didn't know he had the Spanish Archer and didn't believe the 'poor health' excuse.
Folklore. He overspent his Firoka budget by 20% on Andy Scott (and another player who’s name I can’t recall right now). The deal was done in the wine bar next door but one to where the old club shop used to be.
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

The not so Mighty Quinn
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

neilw wrote:The not so Mighty Quinn
I seem to remember Quinn and Scott cost quite a lot of money in transfer fees as well? What a waste of money (both purchased from Brentford I think). Uncle Firoz sure was taken in by a few football 'experts' and his appointment of managers and players was so poor.
Eric Pollard
Brat

Post by Eric Pollard »

A-Ro wrote:
Give that man a cigar.
Hardly a legend. He pissed off as soon he got approached by another club.

Ron Saunders has a better claim than him.
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

Saunders was in charge for 12 games and left when Norwich offered him £5k per annum, £1k more than OUFC.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Eric Pollard wrote:
A-Ro wrote:
Give that man a cigar.
Hardly a legend. He pissed off as soon he got approached by another club.

Ron Saunders has a better claim than him.
Isn't that the point though, Managers move for differing reasons, some have their contract terminated because they are not fulfilling their contractual obligation (they are rubbish) and others leave to go to bigger clubs for more money because they are doing a particularly good job. I would suggest that only those managers who have done a particularly good job should be considered for the Legend List.

For me Ian Greaves legacy was leaving us with a team that he had taught how to win and given them the belief that they were winners. He took us from the bottom of the third division to a respectable mid table and with the belief that they could carry on winning which they did all the way to the top division. Yes, it was Jim Smith that delivered all of that and Jim (first time) has an automatic spot on the Legend List but IDG's contribution should not be ignored.
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

IDG?
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

SWA wrote:IDG?
Clue: Think of a Saint and his partner - it wasn't that one.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Hog wrote:
SWA wrote:IDG?
Clue: Think of a Saint and his partner - it wasn't that one.
Clue: Read my last post, especially the bit where I write his name.

Edit: Aaaaarghhh! I've just read my last post and noticed the missing apostrophe after his name.