FA Trophy

Anything yellow and blue

Should we have a serious tilt at winning the FA Trophy?

Yes
40%
No
23%
Start to take it seriously if we reach the quarter-finals
37%

Total votes: 43

GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:OK, so we’ve got this game we didn’t really want, so we either sulk about it or try to work something positive from it.

To my mind, we should therefore use it to a) give 442 another go to hopefully get a bit more used to it and/or try players in slightly different positions b) use it to give a few fringe players a chance while resting some of the seniors, but only a few (rather than the whole lot) so that they learn from playing alongside the seniors rather than just being a pseudo reserve game).

To that end I would suggest a line-up of:
GK – Turley (no choice as need to not cuptie Tardif is we want to maximise the chances of freeing up some cash under the wage ceiling for new signings)
RB – Quinn
LB – Johnson (see how he fares in a 4)
CB – Dempster
CB – Gunn (try the lad out &amp rest Gilly)
CM – Pettifer
CM – Hargreaves or Hutch
RM – Kennett (debut &amp rest Anaclet)
LM – Burgess (should be able to cause problems from out there)
FW – Basham (experience to unlock Lewes)
FW – Duffy

SUBS
Yemi – late pace vrs tired defence
Hargreaves or Hutch
Franklin – defence cover
Tucker – goalkeeper cover
Younie – run out on right wing if game safe

By the way, Beechers is back out on loan and Ben Weedon is still injured should anyone be about to suggest these two as alternatives.
No, no, no. Burgess wide left is a waste. He must play centre with Pettefer. One worker and one creator.

Brev left back, Johnson left wing.
Gilly and Dempster (whilst Willmott is out) in the middle.
Gentle jogger Eddie in front of Quinn on the right.
Duffer and Yemi up front.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Let me try this again: ISN'T IT ABOUT TIME WE DROPPED BURGESS? I know I'm shouting, I like to shout.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

i haven't seen the team play since the last home game, so i don't know how burgess has performed recently, other than he's clearly not been as influential as we know he can be, and i've read some criticism of him.

with the above caveat, my ha'p'orth of guesswork is that the problem with the team at the moment is confidence/morale, and this is what jim smith needs to work on. strengthening the squad in january is obviously desireable, but the players who are here are the players who have taken us to the top of the table, despite current wobbles. they don't become bad players overnight, and i think the key task is to get them playing the way they were a couple of months ago, and it's important that any new signings don't upset this.

in the case of burgess, i can well imagine he may not react well to being dropped, and perhaps this is why smith is persisting with him. i do think we need andy burgess playing well to get us out of this division, so no, i don't think i'd drop him either (as opposed to resting him).

the only thing that's really become clear to me over the last few games is that smith has now clearly got a job on his hands, and while 'the ghost of christmasses past' is certainly lurking at the back of my mind, i've faith in the ability of jim smith to use the breathing space our league position has given us to do that job.
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote: Brev left back, Johnson left wing.
Ah, c'mon GY, you were at Lewes. Johnson at left wing is clearly not the way forward - I'd rather have Courtney Pitt. We should have held on to Tom Winters if we're going to play 442, or bring in a proper left winger in the January sales. In the meantime we either stick Burgess out there, or continue using wingbacks, because much as I like Johnson, he is no left winger.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotboris&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote: Brev left back, Johnson left wing.
Ah, c'mon GY, you were at Lewes. Johnson at left wing is clearly not the way forward - I'd rather have Courtney Pitt. We should have held on to Tom Winters if we're going to play 442, or bring in a proper left winger in the January sales. In the meantime we either stick Burgess out there, or continue using wingbacks, because much as I like Johnson, he is no left winger.
I was one of the few.

I agree that we should have held on to Winters. I always liked his direct style.

But Courtney Pitt? Come on. You are so far over the line, you can't even see the line anymore.

I agree Johnson is no left winger, but the club doesn't have a left winger. It barely has any left footers. I think the team would lose out more by putting Burgess on the left and anyone else in the centre, than Burgess in the centre and anyone else on left wing. And Johnson is clearly the best of a bad bunch for left wing.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

The example of Courtney Pitt was exageration for effect, it was (I was hoping obviously, but I guess I was wrong) meant to be vaguely funny. What line?

In the reserves there is an excellent right winger by name of Andrew Younie. I would consider putting him on the left wing, certainly in preference to Johnson. At times on Saturday it was like we were playing with two left backs, neither of whom had any pace whatsoever. Maybe the answer is to forget wing play and go 433, with Duffy, Bash and Yemi up front Burge, Petts, and Hutch in the middle, and whichever cloggers are available at the back.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mooro »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:No, no, no. Burgess wide left is a waste. He must play centre with Pettefer. One worker and one creator.
In the Conference it may be a waste putting him out wide, but against Lewes I think it is worth it because i) it means not playing a left-back out there and ii) will Lewes be able to afford to double team him without seriously weakening themselves elsewhere on the field iii) gives Johnson a chance to show what he can do as a left back in a 4 in comparison to Brevitt

Boris, not sure Younie on the left is a good idea for his first game, but I'm all for giving him a chance out on the right at some stage, but for now I'd start Josh Kennett either on the right or doing the creative bit in the middle alongside one of the workers then perhaps bring Younie on later on.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

I have been a Burgess critic of late, but thought he showed a bit of class when he came on at Lewes. Any half decent effort to control the ball on that bobble strewn pitch deserved praise and he seemed the best at it. Not able to judge his work rate on the time he was given.
Johnson as a winger ….. Yemi as a goalie….. Hargreaves as a ballet dancer.
Baboo Junior
Puberty

Post by Baboo Junior »

That would be my team. Pettefer played right wing for Southend so I thought he was worth a try. On the bench would be Tucker, Gunn, Kennet, Basham and Brevett
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

ok young Baboo.

Just cos your on holiday no need to show off with these flashy graphics.

Not a bad side apart from kennett for hargreaves.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:ok young Baboo.

Duffer!? Do we really want the laziest striker since Steve Dogger Anthrobus to be given a starting place in the side. He's got some talent but needs a good kick up the arse and time to focus his mind from the bench. Start with Basham who's class and experience should be more than a match for this part time defence.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

I'll point it should be &quotyou're&quot not &quotyour&quot before Junior does. And I said I was an easy target on another thread.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

and Gunn for Gilchrist, to give the big man a rest before the Christmas schedule.
Would also not put him and Brevitt on the bench either (or Basham if carrying an injury) just so they get a proper rest.

Would mean a pretty young bench and no striker to come on, but we should be able to handle anything that comes up.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by DLT »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:

I'll point it should be &quotyou're&quot not &quotyour&quot before Junior does. And I said I was an easy target on another thread.
Surely young Baboo is into text spelling so it will be 'yr' or similar.
Baboo Junior
Puberty

Re:

Post by Baboo Junior »

I would have used those &quotflashy graphics&quot even if I wasn't on holiday.