The U's v Exeter City

Anything yellow and blue
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Re: The U's v Exeter City

Post by joepoolman »

Dr Bob wrote:Seems to me that all this 6 goals in 12 games is missing the point.
I agree, but I felt that the reason we saw those goals from Barnett was the need to put himself in the shop window. Does it really take 11 appearances for a player to get their mojo back? He wasn't even completely out in the cold at Peterborough, he made six substitute appearances in the first month of the season.

Even if the reported £500k is incorrect Barnett would demand big wages as well as a transfer fee, and I don't feel that offers us value given the players we have at the moment.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

If it's true that it's 500K, then that seems mad to me. Whether he's worth it or not isn't really the point, so much as whether we can afford that kind of money. Given the financial situation, it seems unlikely to me. (And I actually don't think he's anywhere near worth it - he played poorly in around half his games for us.)
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

I do wonder if this bid is a lot of hot air to make us think the owners are putting their money were their mouth is.

After all they apperently won't stick to their agreement of paying £10k to Jarrow to take a punt on a different striker.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

ty cobb wrote:I do wonder if this bid is a lot of hot air to make us think the owners are putting their money were their mouth is.

After all they apperently won't stick to their agreement of paying £10k to Jarrow to take a punt on a different striker.
I did wonder this myself. Whilst I think Barnett is more than a 10 goals a season player, and can offer other things as well, this kind of sum for him, in our financial situation, with the areas we still need strengthening in the squad, is questionable...to say the least. And presumably, if he is to come here, his pay will put him well above most current players, if not everyone...
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

We ‘paid’ less than that for Dean-got-sent-off-three-times-in-one-game-Windlass (though Aberdeen never got the money until he was sold to Bradford for double that much). Still remains the record fee paid for a player by Oxford United.

Half a mill? Doubt it very much. Maybe so if ridiculous add ons are in there, like if he plays ten or more games for England or is voted FIFA player of the year.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Half a mill would be well over the top for Barnett.

If he's half a mill, what was Beano worth, and Beano is a far better player?

Blimey if Barnett is worth half a mill, that would make Rob Duffy worth £2.50 in his pomp! Eh Ty :-)
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Hog wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again, Campbell should be out on loan to a Conference Regional club, assuming there's one willing to take a chance on someone from the Dog & Duck League - there doesn't seem to have been any a few weeks back when he was still in said League!
Ah! now I know why we haven't loaned him out, he's not ours to lend!
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

27th November - Oxford United are pleased to announce the signing of striker John Campbell [...] He joins on a short-term deal until the end of the season. (source OUFC website)

29th January - Michael Appleton says "There was a bit of a confusion yesterday on that one. I'm still not 100 per cent sure where we stand with it. If you'd asked me yesterday morning I think the likelihood was he would've been going back to Jarrow Roofing. But after discussion I've had just now there's a possibility he could be here until the end of the season, which I hope is the case." (source Oxford Times)

29th January - Jarrow Roofing manager says “Oxford made an offer, which we accepted, and that was for a loan deal until the conclusion of the transfer window which would have enabled them to sign John on a permanent basis. Because Oxford wanted John immediately, we were happy to send him on loan until the deal could be made permanent and we fully expected that to happen. As it stands now, Oxford have indicated they don’t want to proceed with the agreed terms and so John will return to Jarrow Roofing." (source Shields Gazette)

Pretty shoddy from Us isn't it?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

GodalmingYellow wrote:Half a mill would be well over the top for Barnett [...] Beano is a far better player?
Obviously. That's why Barnett is of interest to various League clubs having been signed for £1m+ by a Championship side. Whereas Beano...

(Not disagreeing that 500k would be over the top though)
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Yeah, very shoddy on the Campbell deal - imagine how he must be feeling.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Kernow Yellow wrote:
GodalmingYellow wrote:Half a mill would be well over the top for Barnett [...] Beano is a far better player?
Obviously. That's why Barnett is of interest to various League clubs having been signed for £1m+ by a Championship side. Whereas Beano...

Should I mention Bournemouth?

Should I mention that Beano has scored 12 so far this season. 6th highest scorer in that division, in a team just 15 places below us, and I wouldn't put money on us to beat them at the moment. Twice as many goals as Barnett. And we sign someone from the Sunday League who can't play for us, and an overweight Gaelic footballer.

Should I mention that Peterborough want shot of Barnett? And which division are they in? And how many goals has he scored since returning to Peterborough? And how many times has he forced his way into their side? But surely as a "Championship" standard player, getting into a League 1 side would be easy?

Should I mention that no other club has actually made a bid for Barnett?

There is very strange player management going on at our club and even stranger interpretation of the situation by some of the fans.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Kernow Yellow wrote:27th November - Oxford United are pleased to announce the signing of striker John Campbell [...] He joins on a short-term deal until the end of the season. (source OUFC website)

29th January - Michael Appleton says "There was a bit of a confusion yesterday on that one. I'm still not 100 per cent sure where we stand with it. If you'd asked me yesterday morning I think the likelihood was he would've been going back to Jarrow Roofing. But after discussion I've had just now there's a possibility he could be here until the end of the season, which I hope is the case." (source Oxford Times)

29th January - Jarrow Roofing manager says “Oxford made an offer, which we accepted, and that was for a loan deal until the conclusion of the transfer window which would have enabled them to sign John on a permanent basis. Because Oxford wanted John immediately, we were happy to send him on loan until the deal could be made permanent and we fully expected that to happen. As it stands now, Oxford have indicated they don’t want to proceed with the agreed terms and so John will return to Jarrow Roofing." (source Shields Gazette)

Pretty shoddy from Us isn't it?
Not defending the above and I genuinely feel for the player but could it be as simple as him not performing to the expected standard in training and just not being good enough, tough trade being a footballer.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

GodalmingYellow wrote:
Kernow Yellow wrote:

Should I mention Bournemouth?

Should I mention that Beano has scored 12 so far this season. 6th highest scorer in that division, in a team just 15 places below us, and I wouldn't put money on us to beat them at the moment. Twice as many goals as Barnett. And we sign someone from the Sunday League who can't play for us, and an overweight Gaelic footballer. twice as many goals in more than twice as many games (25) so a worse ratio at a lower level in a team that he is settled in; also Beano scored more than 1 in 2 in the Conference for us but only 1 in 4 in league 2, good conference player who can't step up?

Should I mention that Peterborough want shot of Barnett? And which division are they in? And how many goals has he scored since returning to Peterborough? none but then he hasn't been in their squad so how could he score any? There is a rumour that if he plays another game for them, it triggers a significant payment which if true means he won't ever feature for them again.And how many times has he forced his way into their side? see last comment. Even if that is incorrect, there has clearly been a massive falling out between him, the club and their fans which means it's highly unlikely he will feature for them again regardless of his abilityBut surely as a "Championship" standard player, getting into a League 1 side would be easy?

Should I mention that no other club has actually made a bid for Barnett?

There is very strange player management going on at our club and even stranger interpretation of the situation by some of the fans.

imho, Barnett is a better player than Beano albeit not streets ahead

Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Well they are different sorts of forward. Hylton is a better player than Beano, I'm sure we can agree on that.