Different Teams in Different Sports

Anything yellow and blue
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re: Different Teams in Different Sports

Post by Mooro »

&quotMooro&quot wrote::
- cricket I'll say Warwickshire by birth but have never seen them play,
To follow up the cricket thread, I did join two friends on a 6 week trip across Oz taking in the Ashes at Melbourne and Sydney - notable for the former being the first time in the series (4th game of 5) that Australia had been made to bat for a second time, and the latter for Steve Waugh, Huh, what is it good for 10,000th run and 4 days in with the Barmy Army.....
However, have to put in a shout for the Combined Unis team, mainly because my old employers (Nielsens, should anyone care) used to have a tent at the tourists game each summer, which meant being able to watch Malcolm Marshall bowling at a phenomenal pace offf only a short runup, and fooling the entire staff of the Brewhouse (as it was then) and many customers that I was actually the Australian Reserve Wicketkeeper (to Ian Healy) and so deserving of free drinks, food and autograph signing at a Merv Hughes/Shane Warne Q&ampA/Quiz night being held there. I believe I was actually posing as Adam Gilchrist, but I, like the rest of the pub had no idea who he was at that time that it was not the toughest of asks....

Individuals:
PS Golf - I have to mention Luke Donald, as he learnt his game at the golf course up the road from where I now live...
Running - Mara Yamuchi (nee Myers) - GB's #2 woman marathon runner, (and her sister Malindi, former GB Rower) who I knew through her father who I used to run with at Headington Roadrunners until I moved away...
John GRegory - who used to go to the same church as we did when he played for Villa all those years ago, and made a certain 11 year old the happiest boy on earth when he agreed to give a talk about his career to church members at our house one evening......
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

For a good sporting night out I would recommend watching Greyhound racing which IÔÇÖve done at Cowley a few times. On the negative side once the dogs are no good then they go to various charities (at best), but on the positive then itÔÇÖs cheap for food and drink (unless you like betting) quite comfortable and different.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:For a good sporting night out I would recommend watching Greyhound racing which I’ve done at Cowley a few times. On the negative side once the dogs are no good then they go to various charities (at best), but on the positive then it’s cheap for food and drink (unless you like betting) quite comfortable and different.
I assume there is no causal link between the two points you make in your second sentence?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

&quotDr Bob&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:For a good sporting night out I would recommend watching Greyhound racing which I’ve done at Cowley a few times. On the negative side once the dogs are no good then they go to various charities (at best), but on the positive then it’s cheap for food and drink (unless you like betting) quite comfortable and different.
I assume there is no causal link between the two points you make in your second sentence?
Not completely sure what you mean by that, but each time I’ve been I’ve always seen Joey but never asked him for advice on what dog to bet on, so I keep my stakes low. My Uncle used to own a half decent racing Greyhound and he sometimes fed him loads of food just before a race then betted on the opposition...
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotDr Bob&quot wrote:
Not completely sure what you mean by that, but each time I’ve been I’ve always seen Joey but never asked him for advice on what dog to bet on, so I keep my stakes low. My Uncle used to own a half decent racing Greyhound and he sometimes fed him loads of food just before a race then betted on the opposition...
You commented on what happens to dogs once they are no good. You commented on the cheap food. Got my mind going off in all sorts of directions.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Life can be cruel for a racing dog if they are no good as 90% of them turn out to be. The food at the Cowley track is basic and cheap for ordinary customers (a tad above football cuisine) but it works for me.

God only knows what I feed my cat every day. I have Googled pet food ingredients but I’ve still no idea what’s in it, but Sooty loves it.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:Life can be cruel for a racing dog if they are no good as 90% of them turn out to be. The food at the Cowley track is basic and cheap for ordinary customers (a tad above football cuisine) but it works for me.

God only knows what I feed my cat every day. I have Googled pet food ingredients but I’ve still no idea what’s in it, but Sooty loves it.
You could substitute 'a racing dog' for 'Academy footballer' or 'professional golfer' etc. Top sport performance generally pays well but only to the very, very best.