West Ham eh?

Anything yellow and blue
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotboris&quot wrote:
&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote: Something else to ponder whilst it is brain-racking time.

I believe I have seen OUFC play Wimbledon in EACH of the top 5 levels of English Football ( I can go back to our Southern League days). Last year Luton joined that elite band when they played us in the BSP. Are their any others?

No googlers please- it spoils the fun.
I believe that Carlisle United are the only other team who have played in all five professional divisions, but Oxford and Luton are the only sides to have played each other in all five divisions. This is just one of many fascinating facts to be found in the forthcoming Oxford United Miscellany, by the way :wink:
I've got a team of Oxford United players that have played in FA Cup finals in their right positions and three reserves.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I'm still stunned that it is 8 seasons since we played a top flight team in proper competition. Also envious of those of you who have seen many more games against those sort of teams, with an Oxford side who were a few divisions higher.

If offered the chance, would you swap :-
the years in the first division and the Kassam era and subsequent 4 years in the conference
for 15 years of yoyo-ing between championship and division 3?
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:I'm still stunned that it is 8 seasons since we played a top flight team in proper competition. Also envious of those of you who have seen many more games against those sort of teams, with an Oxford side who were a few divisions higher.

the years in the first division and the Kassam era and subsequent 4 years in the conference
The only good thing about our four years in the Conference was getting out of there. It was brilliant being in the top flight so for me the two extremes are better. I can't wait to get back up there. :?
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:I'm still stunned that it is 8 seasons since we played a top flight team in proper competition. Also envious of those of you who have seen many more games against those sort of teams, with an Oxford side who were a few divisions higher.

No. Not at this pt in time when we seem to be on an upward trajectory.
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Dartford Ox »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotboris&quot wrote:
&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote: Something else to ponder whilst it is brain-racking time.

I believe I have seen OUFC play Wimbledon in EACH of the top 5 levels of English Football ( I can go back to our Southern League days). Last year Luton joined that elite band when they played us in the BSP. Are their any others?

I believe that Carlisle United are the only other team who have played in all five professional divisions, but Oxford and Luton are the only sides to have played each other in all five divisions. This is just one of many fascinating facts to be found in the forthcoming Oxford United Miscellany, by the way :wink:
I've got a team of Oxford United players that have played in FA Cup finals in their right positions and three reserves.
That's going to take me a while - I'll have to browse through all my old cup final programs (if I can find them all) to find out what the teams were and which names I recognise. I won't be googling it.

I trust there is no one on the list pre 1953 then I would have to exclude them. I only go back to the 'Matthews' final of 1953.

And would not be much good on the immense number of 'loan players' we have had in the last few years. They mostly never stayed with us long enough to get to know anything about them.

But off the top of my head - 3 from Liverpool - Aldo, Ray Houghton and Mark Wright.

And a few I will check on at the earliest opportunity

Bobby McDonald, Kevin Brock, Rufus Brevett, Matt Elliot, Hugh Curran, Dean Saunders, Jim Barron.

Give me a few days.

p.s - you ignored me on your marathon run - possibly because you were running very close to Cain Dingle from Emmerdale at the time - and you appeared to be adjusting your i-pod.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mooro »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotboris&quot wrote:

Les Taylor
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:
&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotboris&quot wrote: I believe that Carlisle United are the only other team who have played in all five professional divisions, but Oxford and Luton are the only sides to have played each other in all five divisions. This is just one of many fascinating facts to be found in the forthcoming Oxford United Miscellany, by the way :wink:
Les Taylor
Les Taylor is indeed on that list but I need the team he played for, the year and the position he played in.

Not too difficult but appropriately pedantic.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Taylor played for Watford when they were beaten by Everton in, er, 1984? I assume the goalie is Milija Aleksic, who played for Spurs when they beat Man City in 1981.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote:
&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotboris&quot wrote: I believe that Carlisle United are the only other team who have played in all five professional divisions, but Oxford and Luton are the only sides to have played each other in all five divisions. This is just one of many fascinating facts to be found in the forthcoming Oxford United Miscellany, by the way :wink:
That's going to take me a while - I'll have to browse through all my old cup final programs (if I can find them all) to find out what the teams were and which names I recognise. I won't be googling it.

I trust there is no one on the list pre 1953 then I would have to exclude them. I only go back to the 'Matthews' final of 1953.

And would not be much good on the immense number of 'loan players' we have had in the last few years. They mostly never stayed with us long enough to get to know anything about them.

But off the top of my head - 3 from Liverpool - Aldo, Ray Houghton and Mark Wright.

Bobby McDonald, Kevin Brock, Rufus Brevett, Matt Elliot, Hugh Curran, Dean Saunders, Jim Barron.

Give me a few days.

p.s - you ignored me on your marathon run - possibly because you were running very close to Cain Dingle from Emmerdale at the time - and you appeared to be adjusting your i-pod.
Brock, Brevett, Elliot, Curran, and Barron are not on my list that doesn't mean they weren't finalists it could just mean that my research isn't thorough enough.

I'm not sure where ypu're going with the marathon reference, if you'd ever met me you would be in no doubt that I am not a marathon runner. I've got an iPod though.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote:I trust there is no one on the list pre 1953...

And would not be much good on the immense number of 'loan players' we have had in the last few years.

Nobody before 1953 and it's a good point about loan players but there are no loanees on the list and you've missed another Liverpool player.
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:

And would not be much good on the immense number of 'loan players' we have had in the last few years.

Nobody before 1953 and it's a good point about loan players but there are no loanees on the list and you've missed another Liverpool player.
Grobellaar?
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotboris&quot wrote:
&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:

Grobellaar?
No but still good, did he actually play for us? or did he sign and fuck off before he got a game?
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotboris&quot wrote: Grobellaar?
No but still good, did he actually play for us? or did he sign and fuck off before he got a game?
The latter.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotboris&quot wrote:Taylor played for Watford when they were beaten by Everton in, er, 1984? I assume the goalie is Milija Aleksic, who played for Spurs when they beat Man City in 1981.
Wasn't Peter Hucker Man of the Match in the 1982 Cup Final?
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Dartford Ox »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote:
&quotA-Ro&quot wrote: I've got a team of Oxford United players that have played in FA Cup finals in their right positions and three reserves.

Give me a few days.

Brock, Brevett, Elliot, Curran, and Barron are not on my list that doesn't mean they weren't finalists it could just mean that my research isn't thorough enough.

I'm not sure where ypu're going with the marathon reference, if you'd ever met me you would be in no doubt that I am not a marathon runner. I've got an iPod though.
Sorry - confusing you with roo

http://www.rageonline.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3057

Not that I have the vaguest idea what either of you are like.