An Aston Villa "fan" is our next PM.

Anything yellow and blue
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

I'm actually quite optimistic about the whole thing - two parties working together stops the more unfair policies (such as the £1 million inheritance tax) from getting voted through.

Lib Dems got nearly 25% of the vote, didn't result in 25% of the seats but seems to have resulted in at least 25% of the power in the government - I'm quite surprised by how much the Tories have given to them and I hope it will work.

Lets face it they can't do any worse than Labour, an illegal war and biggest debt in our history will what be I remember them for.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Optimistic? Ha! The combination is about as stable as Charles Manson.

I’ll give it 12 months, max.

Just to correct you, the Liberals got 23.0% of the vote in the UK.

However, I agree with you that the war with Iraq was illegal, but it was Bliar’s decision to follow Bush and not Brown’s. And if you believe that Brown was complicit in following Bliar (not a typo) then he’s gone as well now.

As for the debt situation, then that’s a global problem and it’s hard to point a finger at one individual person - it didn’t start in the UK, Greece, Spain or Portugal and it worries me that we now have a Capitalist in charge of the UK.

As for politics in general then I was all set to stand as a Labour candidate in the Woodstock and Bladon County Council seat, but we did a deal with the LibDems at a local level to drop me in order to turf out the sitting Tory and hey, it worked with a 74.98% turnout - http://www.westoxon.gov.uk/files/download/7478-4010.pdf
Last edited by Snake on Wed May 12, 2010 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

As a conservative who wanted political reform, I am ecstatic about the result - it literally could not have been better.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:I'm actually quite optimistic about the whole thing - two parties working together stops the more unfair policies (such as the £1 million inheritance tax) from getting voted through.

Lib Dems got nearly 25% of the vote, didn't result in 25% of the seats but seems to have resulted in at least 25% of the power in the government - I'm quite surprised by how much the Tories have given to them and I hope it will work.

Lets face it they can't do any worse than Labour, an illegal war and biggest debt in our history will what be I remember them for.
I'm pretty sure you've thrown the IHT issue in as a baited hook, so I'm going to be really restrained!! :lol:
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Matt D »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:For those looking for omens, our last Wembley win was under a Tory PM.
well, politics aside, we've done alright when conservatives are in power. and these ones are yellow and blue!

surely it's a sign... surely!
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotMatt D&quot wrote:we've done alright when conservatives are in power.
Just thought I'd check this out.

Since WW2:
1949: Joined Southern League (Labour)
1953: SL double (Tory)
1954: FA Cup run (Tory)
1961: SL Champions (Tory)
1962: SL Champions (Tory)
1964: FA Cup run (Tory)
1965: Promotion (Labour)
1968: Promotion (Labour)
1976: Relegation (Labour)
1984: Promotion (Tory)
1985: Promotion (Tory)
1986: Milk Cup (Tory)
1988: Relegation (Tory)
1994: Relegation (Tory)

1996: Promotion (Tory)
1999: Relegation (Labour)
2001: Relegation (Labour)
2006: Relegation (Labour)

So it's true, we have done significantly better when the wankers have been in charge. Hooray for Cameron - I'm joining GY and Sackcloth on the Dark Side!
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by YF Dan »

&quotSackcloth Ox&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:It was pointed out to me that our last last three promotions happened under a Tory government (possibly more - we couldn't remember further back than that).

Still hate the greedy self centred, smug Etonian bastards though (ooh, look what a trendy anti-tory I am).
I hate the greedy, self-centred, smug, Union, left wing lying bastards. But at least my hatred is based on their actual policies and actions, and not their perceived personalities and bigoted notions of what they might be like.
Go Terry, you're on a roll.

Let's hope the Beeb's budget gets cut, they get too much of my money. How many more of their management get paid more than the PM? Wasn't it 220 ||?

Why?
Id imagine, like most big businesses and corporations, job cuts at the beeb will start at the bottom, not the top. That's how it works.
Sackcloth Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Sackcloth Ox »

&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote: I hate the greedy, self-centred, smug, Union, left wing lying bastards. But at least my hatred is based on their actual policies and actions, and not their perceived personalities and bigoted notions of what they might be like.

Let's hope the Beeb's budget gets cut, they get too much of my money. How many more of their management get paid more than the PM? Wasn't it 220 ||?

Why?
Id imagine, like most big businesses and corporations, job cuts at the beeb will start at the bottom, not the top. That's how it works.

BBC is 'owned' by the taxpayer though. Taxpayers want value for money not overpaid layabouts.

I bet BBC has a 'Head of Diversity Coordination' on 200K. :cry:
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

They could start with the bloody news department. Their anti-Tory bias is embarassaing. I actually had to watch a fucking Murdoch channel it was so bad.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote: I hate the greedy, self-centred, smug, Union, left wing lying bastards. But at least my hatred is based on their actual policies and actions, and not their perceived personalities and bigoted notions of what they might be like.

Why?
In most big businesses, job cuts go where the company can make savings and continue to operate. Sometimes happens with lower paid employees, sometimes with higher paid employees. Companies need all classes of worker to be successful. That's how it actually works.
scooter
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by scooter »

&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:
&quotSackcloth Ox&quot wrote: Go Terry, you're on a roll.

Why?
In most big businesses, job cuts go where the company can make savings and continue to operate. Sometimes happens with lower paid employees, sometimes with higher paid employees. Companies need all classes of worker to be successful. That's how it actually works.
Not true so much in the public sector.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by YF Dan »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:They could start with the bloody news department. Their anti-Tory bias is embarassaing. I actually had to watch a fucking Murdoch channel it was so bad.
This is a joke? Most people I know found it the exact opposite. Who in particular was pro-Labour in your view?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:
&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:They could start with the bloody news department. Their anti-Tory bias is embarassaing. I actually had to watch a fucking Murdoch channel it was so bad.
This is a joke? Most people I know found it the exact opposite. Who in particular was pro-Labour in your view?
Radio 5 Live coverage is very Labour biased. Sheilagh Gogarty, Richard Bacon, Nicky Campbell, Victoria Derbyshire, all guilty.

TV coverage has been pretty fair I think.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotscooter&quot wrote:
&quotYF Dan&quot wrote: Id imagine, like most big businesses and corporations, job cuts at the beeb will start at the bottom, not the top. That's how it works.
Not true so much in the public sector.
I think that is probably true, but the quote included big businesses.

I would agree further to say that in my experience, the public sector often brings in higher paid employees specifically to get rid of lower paid employees, often with no sensible measure of real or long term savings or efficiencies for the department, or country as a whole. In addition, large swathes of the public sector are incredibly top heavy, and the country can do without these excessive costs.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Isn't that funny because I'd genuinely sit there cringeing at the pro-Tory bias I percieved.

I guess it says more about us as people than the Beeb.