Villa tonight

Anything yellow and blue
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mooro »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:[
But this season I think Luton, York, Wrexham, Mansfield, Cambridge, AFC, and Stevenage, will all be strong contenders for the title as well as us.
Yes, and 2 into 8 just doesn't go.
AFC - on what basis is everyone assuming that they will be one of the better teams? Just asking.
OF those I'm not convinced about AFCW or York as serious contenders, although I am more than happy to acknowledge that Saturday will not be the cakewalk that some seem to be expecting - they'll be decent, and much higher up the table this time I think, but not right up there.

IF I was going to rank them I'd say:
Top tier: Oxford, Cambridge, Luton
Then: Mansfield, Wrexham, Stevenage
Then: York, AFC then the rest.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

AFC won't be up there they are staying part time and haven't got the quality of players that Histon have got to challenge. Cambridge have blown up, Stevenage have lost the one player who made them a decent team.

In my mind the only challange will come from Luton given they were a mid table division 2 team. Saying that this will all be new to them and it may take some getting used to. Am also not impressed by their signings.

I'd say this was the best squad we've had since I've started supporting Oxford (relative to the league we're in of course) not just cover for every position but players who could walk into most other clubs teams competing for a place. Another striker would be nice, but adapting the way we play should means this doesn't matter too much.
Yorkie
Toddler

Post by Yorkie »

I noticed that Boris didn't even mention York in his WSC article. I don't support them (I just live in York), but I get the impression that Martin Foyle's summer signings will make them stronger than last season.

BTW, it's been announced today that Nestle are withdrawing their sponsorship of York at the end of 2009. One consequence will be the demise of the ground's silly name (even sillier than Oxford's?).
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotYorkie&quot wrote:I noticed that Boris didn't even mention York in his WSC article. I don't support them (I just live in York), but I get the impression that Martin Foyle's summer signings will make them stronger than last season.

BTW, it's been announced today that Nestle are withdrawing their sponsorship of York at the end of 2009. One consequence will be the demise of the ground's silly name (even sillier than Oxford's?).
Kit Kat is such a ridiculous name for a ground, but Sooty told me tonight that he’s done a 50/50 deal with FK so the stadium is going to be renamed the Kitsch Cat from next season.

I’ll get my coat….
Last edited by Snake on Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

I was in Cambridge today and happened upon Cambridge United training on a college sportsfield. It was a casual shambles - there were no obvious support staff, managers or what have you - just one person leading the training, a few plastic shuttle run markers, a couple of balls, a pile of tracksuits on the ground. It was incredibly casual, with the players just larking around. On that basis, I'd say that Cambridge were strong promotion candidates!
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotYorkie&quot wrote:I noticed that Boris didn't even mention York in his WSC article. I don't support them (I just live in York), but I get the impression that Martin Foyle's summer signings will make them stronger than last season.
I did initially, but the original version somewhat exceeded their stingy wordcount, so I had to reduce it, which I did by eliminating those clubs that I'd predicted would be mid-table mediocrity (York, FGR, Altrincham, Eastbourne, and Kettering) on the editor's advice. So yes, I agree with you that they'll be stronger than last season, but I don't think they'll be among the promotion challengers.