FA Trophy

Anything yellow and blue

Should we have a serious tilt at winning the FA Trophy?

Yes
40%
No
23%
Start to take it seriously if we reach the quarter-finals
37%

Total votes: 43

Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

I see high flying Chelmsford have just lost two home league games in three days which is worrying!
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotHog&quot wrote:I see high flying Chelmsford have just lost two home league games in three days which is worrying!
Not as worrying as this - http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/oxfor ... ize_money/

Can someone please tell me how much we get for winning the OSC?
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotHog&quot wrote:I see high flying Chelmsford have just lost two home league games in three days which is worrying!
Not as worrying as this - http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/oxfor ... ize_money/

Can someone please tell me how much we get for winning the OSC?
Apparently by simply appearing in the OSC we avoid a £1000 fine by the Oxfordshire FA for non appearance.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Looks like 35% more of us are now geared up for taking the FA Trophy seriously, added to the 40% who already thought we should be. So that's three-quarters of us, which means that attendance for the quarter-finals, if it's at home, should be around 4,000 or so.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Disagree, as most people on this board casted their vote years ago.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

Well let's hope that we play York/ Stevenage in the semi finals and the other in the final.

Both still being in the trophy evens itself out .

OF COURSE the league is far more important, but I am just a little excited that I maybe able to take my son to see United at Wembley (he has supported us since the Talbot era poor thing).
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

Slight concern is that if we progress to the semi-final, the two legs will presumably involve rescheduling Kettering (H) on 13 March and Tamworth (A) on 21 March.

In that 6 week period we are already scheduled to play 12 games.....
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Sideshow Rob »

It's Kidderminster after tonight's 1-0 win at Worcester.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:Disagree, as most people on this board casted their vote years ago.
Given that the answers roughly boil down to:

a) Are you an optimist?
b) Are you a pessimist?
c) Are you a grumpy old bugger?

then barring the odd epiphany changing people's fundamental character, I'd guess it's probably pretty accurate. :)
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVFMNSsJNUk

You can even hear the RadOx team if you listen carefully........
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Well, that’s all over then, so here’s a reminder of the delights of the FAT during the four barren years that we’ve had to enter.

We’ve beaten :

Hayes and Yeading, Woking, Chelmsford, AFC Sudbury and Lewes.

But lost to :

Kidderminster, York, Tonbridge Angels (after a replay) and Halifax Town (after a replay).

And during Oxford United’s long history 4 home games in the FAT have featured in the 20 lowest ever attendances ever at home and ditto for 3 away games.

I could go on and mention the Setanta Shield, and the various personnel we’ve had managing the club recently and bleating to the local media (or anyone who can be arsed to publicise such uninteresting stuff) about the fact that “we always go out to win every game
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

So, what should Mr. Wilder do in terms of a starting line up on Tuesday in the JPT, now that weÔÇÖre back in the big time in terms of being allowed to enter this competition?
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Radley Rambler »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:So, what should Mr. Wilder do in terms of a starting line up on Tuesday in the JPT, now that we’re back in the big time in terms of being allowed to enter this competition?
Give the fringe players a game (Eastwood, Creighton, Kinniburgh, Franks, Clist etc.). We've had our day at Wembley, there's little money in it and some of our first team look like they could do with a rest.

League is all important!
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Re:

Post by Yankee Clipper »

&quotRadley Rambler&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:So, what should Mr. Wilder do in terms of a starting line up on Tuesday in the JPT, now that we’re back in the big time in terms of being allowed to enter this competition?
Give the fringe players a game (Eastwood, Creighton, Kinniburgh, Franks, Clist etc.). We've had our day at Wembley, there's little money in it and some of our first team look like they could do with a rest.

League is all important!
Agree 100%
Out of the gloom
Puberty

Post by Out of the gloom »

Think less of the Football League Trophy than I do the FA Trophy, about the same as I did the Conference League Cup (Setanta Shield). I’ll be voting with my wallet and not going or listening.

That the competition requires a draconian regulation to prevent clubs fielding weakened sides speaks for itself. Aside, another rule change is no extra-time - straight to pens.

Only issue for the JPT team is whether Purkiss qualifies as a ‘regular’. Field as many of the fringe players as possible IMO.

In response to old comments on this post. I actually value the Oxfordshire Senior Cup. Good opportunity for the club to show some community spirit and valuable experience for the youngsters. 600 plus in a stadium is a lot more than the youth team usually gets on the Uni sports fields.