FA Trophy

Anything yellow and blue

Should we have a serious tilt at winning the FA Trophy?

Yes
40%
No
23%
Start to take it seriously if we reach the quarter-finals
37%

Total votes: 43

Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Truro away please. Assuming they win their replay tomorrow night.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

When and where is the draw?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Three games in hand but we’re no longer top of the League.

Who still wants to go to Wembley in the final of the FA Trophy, given the number of Saturday games that will need to be rearranged should we get there?

Is there any way that admin could reset this poll so we could all vote again?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

So, the big game ÔÇôv- Woking has been moved to Tuesday night, though admin at #oufc havenÔÇÖt officially told Us that yet as the club is closed right now because of the weather.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Mmm, Chelmsford is the prize if we win against Woking.

Or Wrexham @ home if we don't.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Presumably we'll play Wrexham at home at some stage whether or not we win tonight.

I was a bit ambivalent about this one, but I'd like us to win now because a) it will help put Saturday's game out of our minds, and b) I've never been to Chelmsford before and my nephew lives there so he can show us the best pubs etc (plus he's an Oxford fan so will doubtless also go to the game).
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Some “P
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Poor Performance.

What's wrong with us?
How come we allowed Woking to create so many chances.
We have no spark at present and look very ordinary.
I am starting to worry.
Never entered my head that Cambridge would be off because those idiots went and got a draw instead of winning or getting beaten.
And we're still in this Poxy competition.

At least Potter - was very good.

Oh, why don't the FA show some commonsense and do away with replays in this Poxy competition. Straight to Pens after 90 mins of the first game if a draw. Better still straight to pens, or even better the toss of a coin from the comfort of a warm board room.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Personally I think it's a bit harsh to be too critical of last night's performance. Of course it wasn't brilliant, but we were playing with players out of position (Bulman, F Green) and players who were new or hadn't played that much (Fowler, Wright, Day) and with players coming back from injury (M Green), plus it was fairly obvious that Wilder was looking at various different options in personnel and formation. So it was never going to be a free-flowing exhibition of perfect total football. However, it was generally tidy enough and United put together some good passing moves, especially when they looked to play the ball out of defence, which they did frequently.

Positives: Clist, Fowler, Potter, and Deering were all good going forward and were generally creative.
Day and Wright both looked solid at the back, with Day especially looking a class above his defensive colleagues (including Beast and Fozzie).
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I tend to agree with Boris that last night was about experimentation.

Woking were far poorer than I expected.

The makeshift 4-4-2 looked OKish in the first half.

Pleased to see Sam Deering and Midson make an impact. Personally I didn't think much of Fowler's performance.

One thing it did re-iterate, is that our right back situation is worrying. Neither Bulman nor Day can play there, though Bulman would be OK in an emergency.

Rhys Day looked very unfit.

Disappointed that Turley didn't get a game.

Wright did nothing to encourage me after Saturday.

We looked very poor when Constable was made to play wide right up front. Constable must always be played front and centre.

Overall a bit turgid, but it was a mix and match squad for a lesser competition.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by slappy »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:Poor Performance.

What's wrong with us?
How come we allowed Woking to create so many chances.
We have no spark at present and look very ordinary.
I am starting to worry.
Never entered my head that Cambridge would be off because those idiots went and got a draw instead of winning or getting beaten.
And we're still in this Poxy competition.

At least Potter - was very good.

Oh, why don't the FA show some commonsense and do away with replays in this Poxy competition. Straight to Pens after 90 mins of the first game if a draw. Better still straight to pens, or even better the toss of a coin from the comfort of a warm board room.
seems there is the option to play extra time in the first game if both teams agree and notify everyone. but after that it looks like it goes to a replay, then extra time and penalties.
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Swissbloke »

[quote= if both teams agree and notify everyone. [/quote]

Next goal wins? flippin' eck. Get us out of here.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

My disappointment is really a combination of last night, Tamworth &amp Salisbury.
If Woking were poor what does the result say about us. They hit the woodwork (ok I know it isn't wood) twice. We did not look solid at all.
I don't think any player was particularly awful but the team did not look right at all. Having said that I really cannot see what Franny Green has to offer at the moment or why we gave him a contract.
A ||ve was that Clarke look confident again. Kicking still crap though.
And our corners and free kicks are park standard.
And we are weak in the air up front.
But as it was all a big experiment no probs.
Although Sandwith ain't all that, one thing I will say for him is that he is willing to to have the ball thrown out to him by the keeper.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

According to the link below, the FA are considering whether Histon played a player not registered to play in the competition and if so they might be kicked out.

[/url]www.sport4salisbury.com/index.php?optio ... id=410[url]

One possible way of getting out of the competition.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

have we ever got to the FAT 3rd round before? Was there a predecessor competition in the &quotold&quot non-league days?