FA Trophy

Anything yellow and blue

Should we have a serious tilt at winning the FA Trophy?

Yes
40%
No
23%
Start to take it seriously if we reach the quarter-finals
37%

Total votes: 43

Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:Another difficult tie - we've got to play two teams. Hayes AND Yeading.
I bet the OUFC ticket office is already swamped (not) by people wanting to see that tie, especially as we’ll already have played them just a few days beforehand at home.

Maybe this is a good time for a bit of marketing for these two games. E.g. buy one, get another one for a quid?
I am a little surprised that ticket prices haven't been announced yet. I wonder if Hayes are trying to keep the prices up?
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I was wondering if they are waiting for the FA Cup game result / draw to see if there is a chance of making the FA Trophy game a ticket stub requirement. Although more likely it would be the Ebbsfleet or H&ampY home league fixtures.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:I was wondering if they are waiting for the FA Cup game result / draw to see if there is a chance of making the FA Trophy game a ticket stub requirement. Although more likely it would be the Ebbsfleet or H&ampY home league fixtures.
That short comment is a tad surreal as I’ve been chatting recently on the email to Mick about this very same subject.

My substantive ideas to him (there were 4 in all) varied from just leaving the turnstiles open and letting people watch our reserves for free to making it a “must go
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotslappy&quot wrote:I was wondering if they are waiting for the FA Cup game result / draw to see if there is a chance of making the FA Trophy game a ticket stub requirement. Although more likely it would be the Ebbsfleet or H&ampY home league fixtures.
That short comment is a tad surreal as I’ve been chatting recently on the email to Mick about this very same subject.

My substantive ideas to him (there were 4 in all) varied from just leaving the turnstiles open and letting people watch our reserves for free to making it a “must go
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

What was the story about queuing up for Arsenal away tickets in the FA Cup after Exeter at home back in December 2002? Looking back at the fixtures, it seems it was the first home game after the 2nd round tie.
8 Dec - won 2nd round FA Cup tie
14 Dec - away at Brizzle Rovers
21 Dec - home to Exeter
strangely match 22 in THE BOOK was 28 Dec away at Rushden, but match 23 was 26 December home to Bournemouth??

4 Jan 03 - Arsenal away in the cup

Was it season ticket holders only? Or just first come first served to ticket stub holders?
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotslappy&quot wrote: strangely match 22 in THE BOOK was 28 Dec away at Rushden, but match 23 was 26 December home to Bournemouth??
Good spot. That's bizarre - it was definitely okay in the proofs they sent through, so the printers must have done something odd after the proofreading stage. The matches have been transposed because the Bournemouth game was the Boxing Day match, so that should appear before the Rushden game.

Anyway, basically the tickets went on open sale the day of the Exeter game, to those who had ticket stubs from that game. I think the idea was that everyone would form a nice orderly queue after the game to buy their Highbury tickets. However, lots of people (including a number of Arse supporters) bought tickets for the Exeter game and started queuing without bothering going to watch the match, and lots of others left at half-time or midway through the second half. The result was that those who stayed to the end of the game (arguably the more loyal of the non-season ticket brigade) ended up in a lengthy (and quite tetchy) queue in the pissing rain only to find that the tickets had sold out long before they got near the window.

In retrospect it was probably stupid selling tickets to stub holders on the day of the game that the stub was required, but on the other hand they had a few thousand tickets to shift and the only other home game between Slumdon and Arsenal was the busy BD match v Bournemouth.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotboris&quot wrote:However, lots of people (including a number of Arse supporters) bought tickets for the Exeter game and started queuing without bothering going to watch the match, and lots of others left at half-time or midway through the second half.
I know someone ( :oops: ) who bought a ticket for the Exeter game knowing they'd be about 100 miles away from the ground at the time of the game, but it enabled a friend who was at the game to collect the ticket and purchase the Arsenal one.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I went to the Exeter game partly in the hope of getting the Arsenal ticket after - stayed til the end of the game, stood in the queue for about 10 minutes then gave up as it was raining so much.

I'm wondering if there should be a thread devoted to mistakes spotted in the Big Yellow Book, but that seems a bit cruel.
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotslappy&quot wrote: I'm wondering if there should be a thread devoted to mistakes spotted in the Big Yellow Book, but that seems a bit cruel.
Possibly, but I'm concerned that the server might collapse under the pressure.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:
&quotboris&quot wrote:However, lots of people (including a number of Arse supporters) bought tickets for the Exeter game and started queuing without bothering going to watch the match, and lots of others left at half-time or midway through the second half.
I know someone ( :oops: ) who bought a ticket for the Exeter game knowing they'd be about 100 miles away from the ground at the time of the game, but it enabled a friend who was at the game to collect the ticket and purchase the Arsenal one.
I know someone ( :oops: ) who sent their sister to the Exeter game to buy 7 tickets for the match for mates of mine that couldn't get to Oxford that day (I had a season ticket, but also couldn't make it), and then use them to buy 7 tickets for the Arsenal match. Fortunately she realised what was going on at half time and went and got in the queue in time. I feel very sorry for those fans who stayed to the end of the game and missed out. I'm sure I would have been among them - I think I've only left 2 games early in 25 years of following Us.
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Re:

Post by amershamwrighty »

[quote=&quotSnake&quot][quote=&quotslappy&quot]As for me, then as I have a ST I will be “doing a Jerome &amp Co
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:As for the FA Trophy, I bet you Wilder puts out a strong team. Doesn't he have to do that under the rules of the competition?
I've no idea, as I’ve never studied the rules of the FAT any more than I have the Oxfordshire Senior Cup - but players get “niggling injuries
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

We’re out of the proper Cup now, so let’s “concentrate on the League*
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

I’ve got to hand it to Wilder today, because at last we got our priorities right in terms of team selection - and we even won* by means of a refreshing change.

So, who would we like out of the Hat when the draw fro the 2nd round is made, given that I have to admit that there are still some pretty big names still in there hoping for Wembley Glory.

If you support a club in Division VI, VII, or even lower down the Football Pyramid then getting the result of the draw will be really exciting, I guess. Well, there is always the chance that they may get OUFC away…

Personally, I’d like another home tie (anyone will do now that Luton are out) and if we get drawn away then please let Us not get a team located more than about 100 miles from Oxford.

* Thanks go to God (who follows OUFC as it happens) for not letting H&ampY score in injury time and therefore forcing a replay.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Barrow away - you know it will happen.