under-rated players

Anything yellow and blue
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

John Aldridge. Should have played for England.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:I'll go with most of these - but Murphy infuriated me no end. His bloody pointing really got to me. As if he was some tactical genius and the others should run where he told them and mark whoever Matt decided they should.
I once did a Carling Opta type review of the passing part of one of his games and posted it up on Memorox. It went something like 30 passes, 2 completed, 10 off the pitch and 18 to the opposition. I'm sure Terry could find it if he still has the data.
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotHog&quot wrote:John Aldridge. Should have played for England.
Could say the same for Matty Elliott.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Don't laugh, but my vote goes to Wayne Hatswell.

Never the most gifted (pauses for sniggering to subside) and him overlapping Joey was always one of the more surreal moments in any game, but in terms of just defending he was as solid as anything at a time when he was surrounded by so much inadequacy..
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by Isaac »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:Don't laugh, but my vote goes to Wayne Hatswell.

Never the most gifted (pauses for sniggering to subside) and him overlapping Joey was always one of the more surreal moments in any game, but in terms of just defending he was as solid as anything at a time when he was surrounded by so much inadequacy..
I always liked Hatswell too, in a team that really didn't give a flying one most of the time he was always hugely committed and motivated. No easy thing. I remember a young Whitehead getting flattened in one game we were losing heavily and while the rest of the team looked around barely noticing, Hatswell steamed in and got involved.

He was no left back though.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Another don't laugh one:

Sam Stockley. Pretty quick and good on the ball but came into a really bad OUFC side.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

Wow.

So it wasn't just me then.

Hatswell suffered because as Issac indicates we played him out of position at left back.

And Sam Stockley. Complete madness when the Dinosaur let him go.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:I once did a Carling Opta type review of the passing part of one of his games and posted it up on Memorox. It went something like 30 passes, 2 completed, 10 off the pitch and 18 to the opposition. I'm sure Terry could find it if he still has the data.
I did something similar once with Chris Allen when in conversation with a gent (from Witney, once won a car in a lottery when he couldn't drive - does he post here?) who was expounding his virtues. On his next ten possessions Allen lost the ball on a total of ten occasions.
entirely disenchanted
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

I'd have thought the most under-rated player might be Robbie Mustgo. Nobody in the world would have seen him enjoying a long career in the top division and holding down a regular place in a team otherwise comprised almost entirely of expensive overseas internationals.

I can remember when he was transferred. In the pub before the next game an out-of-town friend (who didn't know he'd gone) was invited to guess the transfer fee and gave up at 120,000 as there was no point in guessing any higher than that.
entirely disenchanted
SteMerritt
Puberty

Re:

Post by SteMerritt »

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:I'd have thought the most under-rated player might be Robbie Mustgo. Nobody in the world would have seen him enjoying a long career in the top division and holding down a regular place in a team otherwise comprised almost entirely of expensive overseas internationals.

I can remember when he was transferred. In the pub before the next game an out-of-town friend (who didn't know he'd gone) was invited to guess the transfer fee and gave up at 120,000 as there was no point in guessing any higher than that.
That is a great shout. I have spoken to many a Boro fan on the web who have nothing but praise for Robbie.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

That reminds me of when we sold Lee Nogan to Watford. First, no one could believe that another team actually wanted him, never mind were prepared to pay for him, and second, they gave us £300,000! That was a lot of money in them days. You could probably even have bought a house in Oxford with it.

In fact, had he been a bit more memorable, I might have remembered to include him in my Worst Ever Team squad.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote:I'll go with most of these - but Murphy infuriated me no end. His bloody pointing really got to me. As if he was some tactical genius and the others should run where he told them and mark whoever Matt decided they should.
I once did a Carling Opta type review of the passing part of one of his games and posted it up on Memorox. It went something like 30 passes, 2 completed, 10 off the pitch and 18 to the opposition. I'm sure Terry could find it if he still has the data.
Sorry A-Ro, all consigned to the recycle bin of history now.
SteMerritt
Puberty

Re:

Post by SteMerritt »

&quotboris&quot wrote:That reminds me of when we sold Lee Nogan to Watford. First, no one could believe that another team actually wanted him, never mind were prepared to pay for him, and second, they gave us £300,000! That was a lot of money in them days. You could probably even have bought a house in Oxford with it.

In fact, had he been a bit more memorable, I might have remembered to include him in my Worst Ever Team squad.
I remember that, it was when the shite hit the fan with the finances, and the whole squad was put on the transfer market. Who was to go first? Magilton? Mickey Lewis Perhaps? Beauchamp? Johnny Lager? Nope, it was Lee, and I don't think anyone else was actually sold either!
Mark G
Puberty

Post by Mark G »

Stuart Massey was always under-rated for me. Never spectacular but more than capable both in an attacking sense and defensively.