Meeting on Thursday

Anything yellow and blue
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotIsaac&quot wrote:As far as I can see very few of the older players are injured at the moment. Only Santos, it's the younger blokes who are dropping like flies - Day, Wilmott (well, he's not that old!), Anaclet, Basham, Burgess and now I see, disastrously, Pettefer (although this probably explains why Smith took him off on Saturday).

As for Gravesend, the team were so spineless and pathetic in that game that I'd have been ranting too if I were the manager. The &quotbust-up followed by manager has lost the dressing room&quot story surfaces at least once a season at Oxford, it has always indicated that the manager is about to lose his job.

I can't see Smith leaving, unless he resigns - and if he resigns then there's got to be worries about the chairman. Normally having a director as a manager makes me nervous, but I think with our recent history it is important that the board aren't tempted to sack the manager whenever the supporters get angsty during a run of poor form (and what is it? 11 games since a win during a bad injury crisis? It's poor but in the circumstances it's not necessarily a sign that everything is going irretreivably wrong) - it's this sort of strategy that got us in the conference in the first place.
I think the solution is 2 fold.

Firstly, change the system to 4-4-2 and bring in a natural left winger.
Secondly, bring Patterson to work alongside the first team as a coach or Assistant Manager, as his motivation and man management are clearly light years ahead of Jim's.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by Isaac »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:

Secondly, bring Patterson to work alongside the first team as a coach or Assistant Manager, as his motivation and man management are clearly light years ahead of Jim's.
Really GY? What on earth makes you think Darren Patterson is better at motivation and man-management than Smith? I mean it's possible obviously, but it seems to be this is another of those &quotlets bring in someone younger, er, because he's younger&quot arguments that gets used to justify picking some probably substandard youth team players because they'll be up for it. Ultimately it's just a wild stab in the dark of a solution.

I agree with your first point though, if we could find a quick natural left footed winger that would help. Finding one will be difficult though. I haven't seen any kicking around the conference (or even in the few league 2 games I've seen).
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

Oh and my solutions.

Get the injured players fit again (far easier said than done obviously) since we clearly haven't got the squad to cover 3-4 injuries.

Possibly go to 4-4-2, since during periods of lack of confidence it probably benefits the team to go back to the formation they've probably played throughout their development. Sign that quick left winger too!

Or, if we stick with 3-5-2, don't play Day or any other centre half as a wingback and get the wingbacks to play, as the saying goes, with more wing and less back. Earlier in the season Anaclet in particular played almost up front, I dunno if it's lack of confidence but maybe they're scared of getting caught of out position defensively these days.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

Someone challengedmy view a few weeks ago about how, when the going gets tough some players seek the comfort of the physio's room tostay out of the heat. Considerably the length of Burgess's absence with a 'virus' anyone want to challenge my theory now?
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by Isaac »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:Someone challengedmy view a few weeks ago about how, when the going gets tough some players seek the comfort of the physio's room tostay out of the heat. Considerably the length of Burgess's absence with a 'virus' anyone want to challenge my theory now?
I dunno DLT, not being party to Burgess's medical notes and not being a doctor or having any idea what the virus is, I find it difficult to comment on whether he's faking it or not. But don't let that stop you.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotIsaac&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:

Really GY? What on earth makes you think Darren Patterson is better at motivation and man-management than Smith? I mean it's possible obviously, but it seems to be this is another of those &quotlets bring in someone younger, er, because he's younger&quot arguments that gets used to justify picking some probably substandard youth team players because they'll be up for it. Ultimately it's just a wild stab in the dark of a solution.

I agree with your first point though, if we could find a quick natural left footed winger that would help. Finding one will be difficult though. I haven't seen any kicking around the conference (or even in the few league 2 games I've seen).
Yes really!

Each time he has been put in charge, there has been a different approach. Don't forget, Brentford wanted Patto as first team manager, and it didn't happen purely because of non-agreement of his wages. He's got all his badges, and the reports of each team he has been in charge have been positive. Clearly he has something to offer, and clearly Jim Smith has issues which are impacting on the team's performance.

I don't really see how it could be detrimental.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotIsaac&quot wrote:Oh and my solutions.

Get the injured players fit again (far easier said than done obviously) since we clearly haven't got the squad to cover 3-4 injuries.

Possibly go to 4-4-2, since during periods of lack of confidence it probably benefits the team to go back to the formation they've probably played throughout their development. Sign that quick left winger too!

Or, if we stick with 3-5-2, don't play Day or any other centre half as a wingback and get the wingbacks to play, as the saying goes, with more wing and less back. Earlier in the season Anaclet in particular played almost up front, I dunno if it's lack of confidence but maybe they're scared of getting caught of out position defensively these days.
Yes switch to 4-4-2, but none of the other options you've suggested represent anything that isn't being done already Isaac. There's no method of speeding up healing of injured players. Anaclet hasn't really gone past players all season, even when we were winning. And playing centre halves as full backs occurs because of the injuries.

We need an injection of new ideas, as well as a proper left wide midfielder.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotDLT&quot wrote:Someone challengedmy view a few weeks ago about how, when the going gets tough some players seek the comfort of the physio's room tostay out of the heat. Considerably the length of Burgess's absence with a 'virus' anyone want to challenge my theory now?
I still think Burgess and Tardif are being deliberately withheld to avoid injury for possible transfer reasons. If we had other fit players, I doubt Burgess would be playing on Monday.

I should add, I've absolutely no evidence for this, other than gut feeling.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by Isaac »

I'll attempt to reply to both to avoid confusion. As for Patterson, from what I remember from his last turn in charge, I saw a dire 1-1 away at Bury (where the team only tried to attack when 1-0 down) and a 1-0 slightly fortuitous penalty win over Rovers. I think there was another draw in there somewhere. 3 games is not long enough to judge clearly and the situation was vastly different (which is why previous experience here is probably irrelevant), but I don't see why moving him up the chain of command wouldn't be a massive gamble that I reckon we shouldn't be taking. Although I guess we might have to differ on this one!

Also I got from a Brentford fan that Brentford were only willing to offer him a 6 month contract (or thereabouts), which is why he didn't sign up, but also indicates that they recognised it's a gamble to make him manager.

As for my solutions, my injury suggestion was tongue in cheek really - this is where I think a large part of our problems have come from and is something that clearly doesn't have a solution (other than signing new ones), my fear is that we're in danger of over-reacting to the problems the team has. Tweaking rather than overhaul might do it.

If we ever lost games by more than 1 goal I'd be far more concerned (and I already am fairly concerned) but I think it's clear from the start of the season that this team is capable of winning games consistently and I don't think that should be forgotten.

Minor point with Anaclet, I'm not expecting him to beat his man since as you say he never has, but if he's further up the pitch (as he was earlier in the season) he should be in a position to cross the ball, albeit inconsistently as is his wont, without beating anyone.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

The absence of burgess seems to be being blamed both/alternatively on a virus and some sort of lengthy concussion from the challenge that forced him off the field. That confusion alone appears to me to be erm confusing.

##

I have to echo GY on Patterson - he does seem to have a knack of getting teams to play together and I've heard nothing but praise for him. The fact that he stayed here when Brentford came calling was also interesting, as it does open the question as to whether he knows more about any sort of Blair/Brown handover than the rest of us....

I would love to know how long Smith envisioned being manager when he arrived and whether there is a plan in place for any handover, though it would also be interesting to know whether that view has changed since.

Now there is a question for someone to ask tonight....

##

Apparently Brackley have a young left winger who is playing very well at the moment.....
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote:
&quotDLT&quot wrote:ResOx

So from what I can gather we can't ask (as in expect an answer) who owns the club. We can't ask if the manager has lost the players respect.

Can we ask if the Chairman and CEO are drawing salaries.
They r'e not going to answer that question are they? No sensible board ever would.
Presumably you are replying to the second question (about the manager) but there's nothing wrong with asking and expecting an honest answer to the first question. An answer of &quotWPL&quot is not acceptable they need to go on record with what role Lenagan plays and most importantly how the £2million that paid Kassam's debt is accounted for in both WPL and OUFC accounts.

Assuming that they still plan to buy the stadium it would also be a good idea to ask how they planned to finance the purchase.
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotIsaac&quot wrote:[

Tom Winters.
Frank
Puberty

Re:

Post by Frank »

&quotboris&quot wrote:
&quotIsaac&quot wrote:[

Tom Winters.
Agreed re Tom.

Ask them if they will INVEST NOW, whilst there is a small part of the transfer window open !
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotIsaac&quot wrote:As for Patterson, from what I remember from his last turn in charge, I saw a dire 1-1 away at Bury (where the team only tried to attack when 1-0 down) and a 1-0 slightly fortuitous penalty win over Rovers. I think there was another draw in there somewhere.
0-0 at Meadow Lane. One of the direst games of football I've ever had the pleasure of watching. It seemed like a good point away from home at the time.

But I agree, I don't recall any of Patterson's teams showing much attacking intent...
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

Patterson's teams were even more defensive than Atkins.

However I believe that was that was what was needed at the time.

We stopped conceeding silly goals and we climbed the table.

Smith came in (despatched Yemi to oblivion(temporarily)) we started conceeding very, very silly goals and a sliding we went.