First Game

Anything yellow and blue
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

Chelsea, 7th February 1976 for me (bloody hell - over 30 years ago!!)

http&#58//www&#46rageonline&#46co&#46uk ... 800&#46000

I can't remember much about the game itself but this was at the height of hooliganism and although we started watching the game from the London Road we were soon evicted to the Osler road as Chelsea fans &quottook&quot the London Road. All very scary but also, I'm embarrassed to say, quite exciting to an impressionable 14 year old.

My first ever game was Reading v Scunthorpe a few years earlier and again can remember nothing about the game itself but was very much impressed by and enjoyed the terrace humour.

On the subject of walls falling over - I remember being away at Slumdon when a wall collapsed can anybody else remember this and when it was? Probably late 70's.
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotMally&quot wrote:Chelsea, 7th February 1976 for me (bloody hell - over 30 years ago!!)

http&#58//www&#46rageonline&#46co&#46uk ... 800&#46000

I can't remember much about the game itself but this was at the height of hooliganism and although we started watching the game from the London Road we were soon evicted to the Osler road as Chelsea fans &quottook&quot the London Road. All very scary but also, I'm embarrassed to say, quite exciting to an impressionable 14 year old.

My first ever game was Reading v Scunthorpe a few years earlier and again can remember nothing about the game itself but was very much impressed by and enjoyed the terrace humour.

On the subject of walls falling over - I remember being away at Slumdon when a wall collapsed can anybody else remember this and when it was? Probably late 70's.

Oxford 1 Brighton 2 (November 1966). Cold, foggy, frightening.

Found the whole experience rather scary as a little 6 year old. Things have not changed.

Some of you lot have only just started supporting the club I see..
:D
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

This was mine - a 1-1 draw with Lincoln, 25 years ago next Tuesday!!

My enduring memory is jumping up to celebrate when Lincoln scored not realising that this was the wrong team. We equalised (I celebrated again) and we also missed two penalties.

http://www.rageonline.co.uk/mainpage.ph ... :00:00.000
boris
Grumpy old git

Re: First Game

Post by boris »

&quotGinger Boy&quot wrote:I ask because I have just realised that it was 23 years ago today that my Dad took me to The Manor to watch Oxford against Newcastle in the league cup!
Checking the database, I see that it's also the anniversary of this game. I bring this up because this match included a goal that has always remained with me, and which I would instantly include in a top ten best Oxford goals ever seen. I can't remember much of the build-up, but I can clearly remember the finish as being very reminiscent of Andy Thomas's goal in that Newcastle game, although Derek Clarke put more curl on it. In those pre-segregation days there was some old bloke in front of me who was a Fulham supporter, and he turned around to me afterwards and said &quotI've been watching football for 60 years and that's the best goal I've ever seen&quot. Silly codger.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Wrexham v Blackpool, circa 1967. Wrexham won 2-1 in a night match with a diving header late in the game from the edge of the box, having previously been 1-0 down.

The first time I ever saw Oxford United was in May 1977 when I was present in the Cuckoo Lane end to see a relatively uneventful 2-2 draw with Wrexham on a foggy night in Headington.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

I remember most of the games to which you guys refer.

Scarily for me it was 4/11/67 Oxford 4 Walsall 0.
I remember that Walsall were top and their supporters on the Cuckoo Lane were singing , &quotTop of the League.&quot The London Road replying, &quotNot for Long.&quot How right they (we) were. I can't remember joining in.
The player that left an impression on me that day was Micky Bullock - his calves seemed huge.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotGinger Boy&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Anyone wanting to buy the programme from their first match, or nearest to their date of birth, or whatever, I can probably provide it.

Ad over. Sorry Boris! :D
I'm a sucker for blatant advertising so I'll be up for the said programme! Oxford v Newcastle 26th October 1983 - if available you can let me know details at peter@green97.fsworld.co.uk!
No problem GB, yours for a quid.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotMally&quot wrote:On the subject of walls falling over - I remember being away at Slumdon when a wall collapsed can anybody else remember this and when it was? Probably late 70's.
It wasn't a wall falling over it was a section of crush barrier in which the Oxford fans had spotted a weakness and niggled at it en masse until they managed to dislodge it from it's mountings and then lobbed it down the terrace. God alone knows how nobody broke a leg.

Sort of similar to the fence at Kettering.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotMally&quot wrote:On the subject of walls falling over.
I remember being away at York and a similar thing happening after we scored, although if my memory serves me right it wasn't very much of a wall - maybe more of a fence I think.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:Wrexham v Blackpool, circa 1967. Wrexham won 2-1 in a night match with a diving header late in the game from the edge of the box, having previously been 1-0 down.

The first time I ever saw Oxford United was in May 1977 when I was present in the Cuckoo Lane end to see a relatively uneventful 2-2 draw with Wrexham on a foggy night in Headington.
But what was your first game as an Oxford fan - i.e. after you became Engish?
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotGinger Boy&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Anyone wanting to buy the programme from their first match, or nearest to their date of birth, or whatever, I can probably provide it.

Ad over. Sorry Boris! :D
I'm a sucker for blatant advertising so I'll be up for the said programme! Oxford v Newcastle 26th October 1983 - if available you can let me know details at peter@green97.fsworld.co.uk!
No problem GB, yours for a quid.
Do you have the 1976 Chelsea one too? If so I'll have it at the going rate.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by DLT »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotMally&quot wrote:On the subject of walls falling over - I remember being away at Slumdon when a wall collapsed can anybody else remember this and when it was? Probably late 70's.
It wasn't a wall falling over it was a section of crush barrier in which the Oxford fans had spotted a weakness and niggled at it en masse until they managed to dislodge it from it's mountings and then lobbed it down the terrace. God alone knows how nobody broke a leg.

Sort of similar to the fence at Kettering.
I was definately at a game where the front wall of the London Road (beech Road side) crashed to the ground and the fans spilt onto the pitch.

Wasn't I? I was about 9 at the time.
SteMerritt
Puberty

Re:

Post by SteMerritt »

&quotDLT&quot wrote: I was definately at a game where the front wall of the London Road (beech Road side) crashed to the ground and the fans spilt onto the pitch.

Wasn't that against Watford in the FA Cup? 23rd Jan 1971 according to the databank.
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotSteMerritt&quot wrote:
&quotDLT&quot wrote: I was definately at a game where the front wall of the London Road (beech Road side) crashed to the ground and the fans spilt onto the pitch.

Wasn't that against Watford in the FA Cup? 23rd Jan 1971 according to the databank.
Yep - it got on the national news. It was just after the Ibrox disaster.

Crowd of just under 18,000.

How on earth did we fit 22,730 into the Manor for the Preston FAC game in 1964? H and S would have had collective heart attacks. Were people smaller in those days?
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mooro »

&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote: Some of you lot have only just started supporting the club I see..
:D
Equally interesting is that the first game for a number of respondants was not an Oxford one either (Me, Boris, Mally, Snake and probably DLT and others as well).

I wonder what that says about the appeal of Oxford over other clubs? Discuss.