OxVox. Remember them?

Anything yellow and blue
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: OxVox. Remember them?

Post by ty cobb »

Matt D, it might be useful to hear about what work OxVox have done on this issue, aside from the RTB (which I personally don't think brings us any nearer to owning the stadium but is interesting nevertheless) I'm not aware of what other measures have been taken in this respect.

I would be interested to know at what point you give up trying to be friendly to FK and try and force him into a sale.
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

Perhaps energies were focused on Charlie M's bid, as a way out of the quandary? Is it really true that the Council were ready to move over Water Eaton? If true, why have we heard nothing about it since the summer?
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

Ty, following the RtB OxVox was involved in discussions with the Club, Councils, and FK about the potential acquisition of the Stadium and establishing the feasability and benefits of moving ground.

Tom, the Council(s) have never had a submitted proposal to be ready to move on: what is a matter of public record is that there was a certain amount of backing in local government for the idea. As to why it's gone quiet - there would always be lots of hurdles to clear and new owners took over the Club. They've had to familiarise themselves with all sorts of aspects of the Club, and at the October forum made it clear they see The Kassam as the immediate future. Whether they like the idea of Water Eaton or a(nother) move is something we'll need to find out in the future.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

You met with Ian Hudspeth recently? Had a bit of dealing with him recently (but not about footy), and will be meeting him again tomorrow night. Drop me a mail if I can be of any use.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

So Matt what where the outcomes/conclusions of these discussions, how much does FK want, what are the plans of the owners to buy the stadium - how do they intend to achieve this?

And how feasible is it to move ground?

Apoligies if I have missed the answer to these somewhere else.
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

You've really got to feel for Ian Lenegan and his attempts to purchase a stadium. He must sit there autodialing Kassam, hanging up and repeating all day long. Not a job I would fancy, and I've worked in a sales call centre.
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

Only a certain amount of detail about those discussions has been made public at this stage Ty. Much of what’s come out of discussions with the Councils is covered in the article I linked to. In my view, moving ground cuts what I think has become a Gordian knot for us as tenants at the Kassam. I think it could well be feasible – local planning pressures and priorities seem to me to be moving in a direction that make it so. That’s not to say there wouldn’t be plenty of hurdles to cope with, as we all well know.

Discussions with the Club about a move or stadium acquisition in any detail were with our last owners. That kind of discussion hasn’t been had with the new owners: they’ve been here six months, they’ve been clear that they want to focus on other issues in the immediate term, and that they see the Kassam as the Club’s home in the immediate term.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Thanks Matt. It feels a bit like we're back to where we were when IL took over, i.e. no-where near sorting this out. And if what you say is true (and I have no reason to think otherwise) what role does IL have at the club given he has been put in charge of buying the stadium when this isn't a priority for the new owners?

Wothout going into the detail, what is the view of OxVox on whether the figure FK is asking for the stadium is reasonable, all things considered.
Brahma Bull
Puberty

Post by Brahma Bull »

If I could add a couple of points, having met personally with Mr Kassam last year on behalf of the Trust and along with Mark. I think there is a point where Mr Kassam would consider selling and probably at a more reasonable cost than is regularly touted. The RTB despite some mocking it and its usefulness, saw a major shift change in relationships. It without any doubt, started getting stakeholders to speak with each other and it has seen the trust have a productive dialogue with the landlord and council. It also, I believe, saw others - not OxVox, start to communicate with each other in a more frequent manner.

Of course the club has changed hands and it is reasonable for Mr Eales to start do his own research and for him and the club to make an informed decision, now with different leadership, on the clubs future. We expect that to be high on the agenda of the club in 2015.

I think FWIW that the club, council and Firoka are in a much more advanced position than when IL took over. I think that, god willing, there are deals to be done on either the current home or to drive forward the Water Eaton option. Of course, the dynamics may have changed again late last year when the railway line was mooted as re-opening. No doubt opportunities exist at Minchery and more are available elsewhere around Oxfordshire.

Firoz Kassam isn't the ogre people want him to be made out to be; he probably has chilled and has different priorities in his life in 2014/2015 than he did circa 1998 and in 2005/06.