WEST BROM away

Anything yellow and blue
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: WEST BROM away

Post by theox »

Agree with most of what GY said with a few minor differences/things to add.

I thought the difference in class in terms of individual players was incredibly obvious. WBA's players were much much better than us with things like first touch, moving into space and ability to turn quickly and with control. However, this is what made the Oxford performance even more impressive as after the first 15 minutes of being ripped open time after time we found ways to counteract the superior skill and pace.

Even after going behind, it was very pleasing to see us not panic and we actually spent time working ourselves into the game slowly building the pressure on WBA who clearly were not expecting it and had become ragged and complacent. I was pleased we were still in the game at half time but from 60 minutes on we were much the better team (until Brown's sending off) and could have won with some more composed finishing.

I do not agree that Crocombe was excellent throughout. He looked very nervous early on and made several fumbles which he was lucky to get away with but the more we got into the game the more his confidence grew and he made some excellent catches/blocks towards the end of the game. Still not sure I'd pick him over Long not that I'm overly fond of Long. Need Clarke back asap really.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

theox wrote:I thought the difference in class in terms of individual players was incredibly obvious. WBA's players were much much better than us with things like first touch, moving into space and ability to turn quickly and with control. However, this is what made the Oxford performance even more impressive as after the first 15 minutes of being ripped open time after time we found ways to counteract the superior skill and pace.
That, for me, Is the defining difference between higher and lower league teams. The great thing about football, though, is that collective effort can match (and sometimes overcome) individual quality. First game of the season for me this Saturday. I was dreading it. Now I am really looking forward to it - just hoping they can shake that effort out of their legs.
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

I really enjoyed reading those reports, thanks. One of those I'm gutted to have missed.

Let's hope that the words of George Waters are not ringing in our ears come 5pm Saturday:

'as is usual on all such occasions, after gaiety comes squalor; or, as we observe in respect to the annual pageant of the City of London that "after the Lord Mayor's Show comes a donkey-cart"'.
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I found it difficult to get interested in this match. West Brom for me probably come fourth in the hierarchy of midlands teams below Villa, Wolves, and Birmingham City. They may have been in the Premier League for a few years now, but have not been in the headlines like the others with takeovers, championships, cup-runs, shock results, and /or relegations, they just meander along.

I was surprised that we took quite so many for a Tuesday night game, perhaps it was the £10 ticket, proximity to Oxford, a new ground for many, or that we were playing Premier League opposition.

The Vine was a tardis of a pub. Walk in the front door, past two tiny snug rooms with a dozen fans in, queue at a side bar and find a small table to rest your drinks on. Look lovingly at the curries being eaten, but wonder if there is enough time to order and eat before setting off for the ground. Eventually, went in search of the gents, found the room by the bar packed with tables, where curries were being delivered by number. Wander through to another well laid out room, and then find the Barbecue room. A huge BBQ grill, with different kebabs with for under £4, pitta available too. Well above the quality of usual football food.

First half West Brom outplayed us, although their current Yemi Odubade was as bad as our old Yemi Odubade in front of goal.
The West Brom fans to our left could only get going with their fan with the bass drum. Nothing is more tinpot than a big team with just a bass drum to bang. Aldershot were the only team to get it right with a set of drummers who could actually play.

So the Oxford fans started off with "can you sing without a drum?", and finally settled on "where's the paedo with the drum", so that the instant he started again, the "paedo" chant could be sung at him. Juvenile, but quite effective in quietening him down.

Even a goal up, West Brom were pretty quiet, their passes and control a level above ours. Second half we made more of an effort. It was West Brom with ten men back defending corners and free-kicks, no-one left up front for the break.

A prolonged chant of "West Brom's a ****hole, I wanna go home" kept the away fans entertained for much of the second half. The equalising goals was well merited, Hoskins showing the skills and class for which he was signed.

Extra time, Junior Brown should never have dived in when already on a yellow card, their player was nearer to the corner flag in their own half and not causing any danger.

The penalty shoot out I noticed West Brom too only had 9 outfield players. Max Crocombe was unlucky not to stop two of their penalties, having dived the right way, and getting his fingertips to one of them.

A long walk all the way round the ground, before heading off to find the car near the Vine meant a very late journey home.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Albion's "Yemi" was none other than new £10m signing, Brown Ideye.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Doesn't our new kit look nice when we go somewhere with decent photographers!